Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from Meteor

• 07-12-2009 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

Hey all, as the thread title suggets, I'm planning on moving from Meteor, due in no small part to their absolutely abyssmal coverage. I'm not saying I go out into the middle of nowhere and expect coverage, but anytime I'm inside a building, I can get no coverage whereas friends standing next to me on O2 are getting perfect coverage.
    [/rant]

I was planning on moving to 3 Mobile because their prices seem best suited to me, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me about their coverage or any major problems with their service?

I really just want to be able to make calls from my accomodation in Maynooth!

Thanks for yere help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,248 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Phone service is pefect, you can drop an odd call when driving but it's nothing serious. Where you've no 3G coverage with 3 it reverts to the vodafone network so technically you should have talk & text coverage anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Excellent! Meteor has just been annoying so much lately that I usually have to be outside to get a signal.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 GLRochdale

lol, so let me get this straight, you are moving from meteor, who claims 97% nation coverage, to 3 mobile who are notorious for the worst coverage in the country (apart from tesco). Talk about out of the frying pan into the fire!

My experience with 3 was horrible, coverage and customer service so my advice is to stay away. If your friend enjoys o2 coverage why not go with them.

Also, I'm on meteor and couldnt be happier with coverage and ravel quite a bit. Are you sure it's not a handset issue? Some phone are known to deliver poor signal due to bad antenna (many cheaper samsung/lg models). Or perhaps a sim card issue? I would check these before making a switch.
    Where you've no 3G coverage with 3 it reverts to the vodafone network so technically you should have talk & text coverage anywhere.

And while this is true the 2 million or so vodafone customers get preference before 3 customers every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,248 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

GLRochdale wrote: »
    3 mobile who are notorious for the worst coverage in the country (apart from tesco).

My experience with 3 was horrible, coverage and customer service so my advice is to stay away.

Also, I'm on meteor and couldnt be happier with coverage and ravel quite a bit. Are you sure it's not a handset issue? Some phone are known to deliver poor signal due to bad antenna (many cheaper samsung/lg models). Or perhaps a sim card issue? I would check these before making a switch.

And while this is true the 2 million or so vodafone customers get preference before 3 customers every time.

First point your complelty wrong, it's far from the worst coverage, about your experience are you sure it didn't relate to what you suggested about the handset.
    As for vodafone customers getting prioroty, how do you make that out?, do you think when a 3 customer is roaming on vodafone they can't make calls or there's a delay in making them, utter rubbish.
    You also say tesco coverage is as bad but then you go on to suggest moving to o2, even though tesco is on the o2 network.

anyway, welcome to boards.!!

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

According to their different sites, Meteor has 97% coverage, whereas 3 has 99.5%, both saying it's population coverage.

I'm sure its not a phone issue, as I put the sim card into a different phone and had the same problems.

If nothing else, holding my friends phone, who's on 3, next to mine, showed me getting no coverage inside and him getting coverage, so thats pretty much proof for me.

As for why I'm not switching to O2, I find it's more expensieve in comparison to 3. Gotta think about money as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Well I've moved the other way 3 to meteor.
    I can't say I ever had any issues with reception be it 3G or Vodafone 2G.
    No data connections on the 2G however, which is a bit annoying.

I moved due to a crappy handset collection and meteor being slightly cheaper for me.

Advertisement