Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor - Data

• 07-12-2009 12:34pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've noticed a very nice call and data plan from meteor that would well top what I am on with 3.

I've my eye on the Hero but not sure what 3g is like with metoer. I'm based in Dublin and travel mainly between Leixlip and athlone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Griffinx

godtabh wrote: »
    I've noticed a very nice call and data plan from meteor that would well top what I am on with 3.

I've my eye on the Hero but not sure what 3g is like with metoer. I'm based in Dublin and travel mainly between Leixlip and athlone

I get good 3G coverage until after the Toll Plaza...3G drops in and out between there and Athlone. Athlone has full 3G. I get EDGE signal everywhere which is fine. Meteors 3G is faster than the others I think because they use a higher speed network and they are expanding it.

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2009/12/06/story45996.asp

Gx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

Meteor's 3g is nowhere nears as good as 3's 3g. I was with meteor and now I'm with 3. To test it just get a one month bill pay sim only card.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055762833

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

While Meteor's 3G coverage might not be nearly as good as 3's, at least you can use EDGE while outside of 3G coverage. With 3 you can't use data at all, because you will be roaming on Vodafone outside of 3G and 3 don't have data roaming with Vodafone. Buyer beware.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭rordeb

Are you sure I asked one me the guys in the shop and they said that they have a fall back in place

rordeb wrote: »
    Are you sure I asked one me the guys in the shop and they said that they have a fall back in place

The fallback for calls and texts is Vodafone, but 3 does not have a data roaming agreement with Vodafone. What you will get is a nasty web page that will tell you that you are "outside of the video coverage area". Yes, 3 likes to hide that fact from customers because it makes their data offering barely usable. This is one of the main reasons I would never ever switch to 3.

• Advertisement

blaz wrote: »
    The fallback for calls and texts is Vodafone, but 3 does not have a data roaming agreement with Vodafone. What you will get is a nasty web page that will tell you that you are "outside of the video coverage area". Yes, 3 likes to hide that fact from customers because it makes their data offering barely usable. This is one of the main reasons I would never ever switch to 3.

Barely usable? If you call 3's barely usable then meteor's is non existent. If someone is thinking of getting either, just sign up for a month to meteor and see what you think. Do not sign up for a year contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

just moved from three to meteor. I can see that meteor is barely slower than three but as mentioned before when meteor loses 3g signal it switch itself to edge while with three I was getting nothing (Vodafone roaming). Prefer meteor.

docentore wrote: »
    just moved from three to meteor. I can see that meteor is barely slower than three but as mentioned before when meteor loses 3g signal it switch itself to edge while with three I was getting nothing (Vodafone roaming). Prefer meteor.

I switch from meteor to 3 and find it a hell of alot better and much faster, as you've had 3 for a while and done a switch I'd like to know these locations where you could not get a signal with 3? I drive around Dublin with google maps in satellite view with no problems at all, I couldn't do that on meteor. I was staying in the Westwood hotel in Galway over the weekend and was getting close to 3Mbps over there.

I'd like to do a test in dublin to see which is really better. I also found that when I could only get EDGE it was extremely slow and GPRS was just usless. It's easy for eveyone to come on and say A is better than B etc.. but untill we have side by side comparisons no ones going to know.

GigaByte wrote: »
    I switch from meteor to 3 and find it a hell of alot better and much faster, as you've had 3 for a while and done a switch I'd like to know these locations where you could not get a signal with 3? I drive around Dublin with google maps in satellite view with no problems at all, I couldn't do that on meteor. I was staying in the Westwood hotel in Galway over the weekend and was getting close to 3Mbps over there.

I'd like to do a test in dublin to see which is really better. I also found that when I could only get EDGE it was extremely slow and GPRS was just usless. It's easy for eveyone to come on and say A is better than B etc.. but untill we have side by side comparisons no ones going to know.

Nobody is arguing that Meteor's 3G service is better than 3's. But 3G in general has lower penetration because of the higher frequency (2100 MHz) as compared to GSM/EDGE (900 MHz and 1800 MHz).

In areas with perfect coverage for both, you will see a difference inside of buildings: with 3 you might not get a 3G signal, but will get the Vodafone GSM/GPRS signal, so you will not be able to use data. EDGE sure is slower than HSDPA, but then I prefer a slow transfer to no transfer ;)

blaz wrote: »
    Nobody is arguing that Meteor's 3G service is better than 3's. But 3G in general has lower penetration because of the higher frequency (2100 MHz) as compared to GSM/EDGE (900 MHz and 1800 MHz).

In areas with perfect coverage for both, you will see a difference inside of buildings: with 3 you might not get a 3G signal, but will get the Vodafone GSM/GPRS signal, so you will not be able to use data. EDGE sure is slower than HSDPA, but then I prefer a slow transfer to no transfer ;)

Even when I was on Meteors EDGE, it was very slow, in fact not much faster than GPRS. Anyway from my experience I'll list a few places where I was mostly using Meteor and could not get a good signal for data.

Here in my office in Reiverview business park the best I could get is a slow EDGE. My sisters house in Lucan (Moy glass) very slow EDGE. My house in Lucan (Hayden Park) I could get a good 3G signal up in my PC room. In Donny & Nesbitts on Baggot street, GPRS. My parents house out in Portmarnock slow EDGE again. The only place I could view Youtube videos on my phone was in my house. Outside I could pick up a good 3G signal.

With 3 Ireland in all of these places I can get HSUP signal, the worst it drops to is 3G, so where in Dublin will I not get a good 3 Ireland signal but a good Meteor signal? I'd like to do a test.

• Advertisement

With 3 Ireland in all of these places I can get HSUP signal, the worst it drops to is 3G, so where in Dublin will I not get a good 3 Ireland signal but a good Meteor signal? I'd like to do a test.

Come over to my place then, Dublin 3, East Wall ;) You could say almost city centre but the signal was so bad and it was constantly switching between 3 and vodafone, you can imagine what was happenning to the phones battery. That was the reason I switched to Meteor (other one was HTC Hero;)). Also, from time to time I'm travelling outside Dublin, and I could have 5 minutes conversation with anyone - signal was dropping all the time and switching to Vodafone wasn't quick enough.

Come over to my place then, Dublin 3, East Wall ;)

I'll zip out that way this weekend and give it a test, I'll record how bad/good it is and upload the video results here. :)

I'll zip out that way this weekend and give it a test, I'll record how bad/good it is and upload the video results here. :)

the think is when I'm out I have full coverage, inside its s**e. But its only with 3! All other operators are fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

I changed from meteor to 3 purely based on data coverage. Havent done any country trips, but i've been all over dublin and have yet to find myself without 3g coverage.

Speed is pretty good, i don't even bother switching to wifi when im in my apartment.

Here's a link to the program I used to check my mobiles speed. You can set it up to download any file from any site you want but you can also set it to stop once it downloads a certain amount. It will only work on WinMo phones.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=395165

Speed is pretty good, i don't even bother switching to wifi when im in my apartment.

Same here!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

thanks for the feedback lads.

Wont be using any mad data consuming programes like youtube.

I just want to be able to access my emails, use opera and gps data. I think I use on average between 50-100mb per month so as you can see small enough usage

I just want to be able to access my emails, use opera and gps data. I think I use on average between 50-100mb per month so as you can see small enough usage

I'd use that in a day! :D

Anyway it looks like most people who have Meteor seem to be happy with it (I wasn't) but I still think if you are switching you should sign up for the 1 month contract and see how it works out for you, otherwise it could be a long year for you.

How do you find 3 Ireland at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

500mb will allow you to use data for whatever you want, whenever you want. Im on 3g a lot and struggle to get through the kb's, dont think i've used more than 400mb in a month! I've got 1gb data and only since i've started tethering have i begun to make a dent in it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I think 3 is grand but very expensive compared to the new Metoer price plans. Almost twice as dear and meteor offers more.

If I can get a hold of a sim free phone I'll get a one month trial sim and check it out but any phones I have are locked so might be tricky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Come over to my place then, Dublin 3, East Wall ;) You could say almost city centre but the signal was so bad and it was constantly switching between 3 and vodafone, you can imagine what was happenning to the phones battery. That was the reason I switched to Meteor (other one was HTC Hero;)). Also, from time to time I'm travelling outside Dublin, and I could have 5 minutes conversation with anyone - signal was dropping all the time and switching to Vodafone wasn't quick enough.

I doubt that this is 3 as I've found solid 3 coverage in Dublin everywhere. Could it be your phone that was the problem?

I'vbe also noticed recently that I can get data ok when it switches over to Vodafone (outside Dublin).

• Advertisement

Only problems I have with 3 is along certain parts of the Dublin Maynooth train line

I doubt that this is 3 as I've found solid 3 coverage in Dublin everywhere. Could it be your phone that was the problem?

I'vbe also noticed recently that I can get data ok when it switches over to Vodafone (outside Dublin).

My fiance has the same problem with completely different phone (I had WinMo phone she has SE W595).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Warm Edge

If you are planning on using Mail for Exchange for your email I would give Meteor a wide berth. I have been trying for a month to get them to give me correct settings for an N97. I can't even get to talk to anybody who knows what symbian is never mind MfE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Warm Edge wrote: »
    If you are planning on using Mail for Exchange for your email I would give Meteor a wide berth. I have been trying for a month to get them to give me correct settings for an N97. I can't even get to talk to anybody who knows what symbian is never mind MfE.

Mail for Exchange works on Meteor when using ports other than 80, 8080 etc, e.g. 443.

i wouldnt be to worried about mail for exchange.

I use gmail alot and have a web mail based work email so opera sorts that out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

I have a complete pain in my pants trying to stream YouTube on Meteor in Dublin 2 this AM.
    Ridiculous, and it has been happening a lot recently :(
    Just saying is all.

Advertisement