Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-visiting your old games

Options
  • 07-12-2009 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anybody here re-plays any of their old games? I have hundreds of games and with the exception of about one or two, I've never replayed any of them. I'v probably forgot the plot of pretty much all of them so replaying them now would seem like a good idea. Games I'd love to re-visit include Splinter Cell, Max Payne 2, Beyond Good & Evil, Psychonauts, JSR and Call of Duty 2.

Anybody replaying any of their fav games at the moment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Too many new games backlogged. Tried completing HL2 again with the cinematic mod, got to the citadel then quit.

Haven't really played any game released in the last decade more than once (with the exception of games where I was going for some trophy and needed a second playthrough immediately after completing it once)

Still come back to my old Sega games. I have a Sega emulator on my netbook and I'll usually playthough some old childhood game on a long flight or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Since my laptop quit, I've been playing SNES games on an emulator on an Inspiron. Can just about handle it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Don't think I would go back to the 16-bit generation (bar the Megadrive Collection recently released on the 360/ PS3). Games were so different back then. I think the 32-bit generation really shaped what we are playing today. Would happily re-visit a couple of my PS games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

playing far cry with a SP mod with new weapons, textures etc etc. quite good actually!

Vyse wrote: »
    Don't think I would go back to the 16-bit generation
    You're underestimating my desperation. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

kaimera wrote: »
    playing far cry with a SP mod with new weapons, textures etc etc. quite good actually!

hay Kaimera, where can I procure this mod?

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Auvers wrote: »
    hay Kaimera, where can I procure this mod?

cheers
    far cry k-9 vision
    Description: The K9 Vision Mod is a total conversion mod for Far Cry which adds tons of new stuff such like skins, models and also new AI scripts. This version 1.1 includes a few Multiplayer fixes, but the main effort was clearly put into the SP mode which was one of the very few points of critism in the previous version. Almost everything there changed, you will now even have a harder time in staying undetected by the AI than already in the original game, and the bots will use team tactics a lot more intelligent.

:)

kaimera wrote: »

Actually Far Cry is one I totally forgot about. Wouldn't mind a quick blast of this on my new PC. Will dig it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Vyse wrote: »
    Actually Far Cry is one I totally forgot about. Wouldn't mind a quick blast of this on my new PC. Will dig it out.

Great game, maybe its just me but I found it very difficult in the latter levels, to the point of being very frustrating.

Ive had something in the back of my mind lately about going back and playing Zelda 3 on the snes again.

The max payne's, snatcher cd, policenaughts (although this will be my first time to play that), half life 1 (although Ill wait till Black Mesa is out (if ever)), sonic 1 & 2, silent hunter 3 & 4.....that will prob get will well into the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

I would like to play my old games, but I generally want a fresh gaming experience every now and then so go buy new games. I sit looking at me old games but go "Ah, but Ive played them already, whats new out".

Would love to play through the MGS series at some stage but cant stomach MGS3 with the camera, so am trying to hunt down Subsistence for the 3D camera. Also just finished Blood Omen so looking round for Blood Omen 2, Soul reaver 2 and Defiance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I loved how they revived Monkey Island, and reminded us what a class game it is ! :D I played half in old style, and half new. Not lost any of its charm :)

Also tried to revisit grim fandango

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Homeworld is a game I tend to go back to quite a lot, best space based RTS ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Playing through the resident Evil games on my commute to work at the moment... Gotta love buying them on PSN for $6 each!:D

Apart from that, I don't have enough gaming time to complete current games, let alone revisit favourites!!
    I've been meaning to plug my Wii in for a bit of Metroid Prime, but really can't be arsed...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i really wanna play thorugh Secret of Mana again. and ive been giving thought to some of the old nes megamans. still playing starcraft too :)
    i wouldnt mind playing skies of arcadia again if the battle encounters were less random

• Registered Users Posts: 83,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Often go back to a megaman or ace combat game.

Good call on Homeworld though. I really should play that again or at least try HW2 again - but it was so bloody hard. I found myself getting frustrated with it 3 missions in. Its very unforgiving of mistakes.

Jazzy wrote: »
    i wouldnt mind playing skies of arcadia again if the battle encounters were less random

Pick up the GC version, far less random battles than the dreamcasts offering. This is the only game I've ever completed three times (which is a lot seeing as KOTOR is the only game I've ever completed twice).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i have both the regular scrabble and the travel scrabble :) (gamecube and dreamcast versions). the encounter rate is far too high in both of them. very frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Currently playing through Nexus: The Jupiter Incident which is a really nice game imo.

I've also replayed Super Metroid and Super Punchout numerous times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Playing all the Dawn of War games + expansions again after getting them cheap from steam, only to discover there is a expansion I never played!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

im playing through GTA:vice city right now and its still very enjoyable.

• Advertisement

I'd never heard of Homeworld, so I'm going to give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Do this on occasion myself.

Black and White
    Rollercoaster Tycoon 2
    Tried halflife again, but just wasn't "feeling" it, might fire it up again soon.
    Tried Deux Ex, but old 'pooter could never handle it, and my lappy makes it run like its on speed.
    Just starting Discworld and Discworld: Missing, presumed..? loving them!
    Might have a mooch around for the old Broken Swords, I know I have the first 2 somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Starting playing Battle Engine Aquila of all games again - it's still as brilliant as I remember it being.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

I envy you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've too many games that I want to play that are unplayed to replay a game. Every so often when I'm disillusioned with gaming I'll play a very special game like super metroid but it's a rare occurence.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I've too many games that I want to play that are unplayed to replay a game. Every so often when I'm disillusioned with gaming I'll play a very special game like super metroid but it's a rare occurence.

I know what you mean.

Tried to play FFT the other day but jesus I don't know if I will be able to - feels absolutely awful after JD.

After a weekend of online shopping last week I have got the following to get through

Perona 3 FES
    Dead Space
    Bioshock
    Uncharted 2
    Fallout 3 GOTY (already completed the original so this is just for the DLC)

Even then PES 2010 gets an hour at least every second day and I am only about a fifth into Demons Souls.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

noodler wrote: »
    Tried to play FFT the other day but jesus I don't know if I will be able to - feels absolutely awful after JD.

Hmm I actually preferred it to Jeanne D'Arc, in fact I'd go so far as to say it's the best Strategy RPG ever made. Stick with it. It's only flaw is that it can be outrageously difficult. I'd go so far as to say it's one of the most difficult games I've ever beaten, that's coming from some one that 1 credited Ghouls n' Ghosts. However it's very rewarding. The story is top notch as is the soundtrack and the job system opens up loads later on and it's great fun breaking and exploiting it (bit of a spoiler on a good job exploit
    Chemist armed with a long range weapon and equipment breaking skills ;)
    )

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    I would like to play my old games, but I generally want a fresh gaming experience every now and then so go buy new games. I sit looking at me old games but go "Ah, but Ive played them already, whats new out".

Would love to play through the MGS series at some stage but cant stomach MGS3 with the camera, so am trying to hunt down Subsistence for the 3D camera. Also just finished Blood Omen so looking round for Blood Omen 2, Soul reaver 2 and Defiance.

If you couldn't stomach playing MGS3 without the updated camera how could you possibly play one or two? :confused:

Personally wouldn't be able to play any old games now, tried to replay Hitman(the last one) a month or so ago and it just felt too dated(played one level), but have gone back and played Bully, MGS3:Subsistence and Fahrenheit since i got my PS3, those games weren't a million miles off todays games though.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

i thought the first one dragged too much gameplay wise but the story was oddly addictive. see it through to the end. cataclysm and hw2 are also good. HW2 changed it so you automattically grab all resources at the end of a level: This was a major leap forward!!

so i went back to hw2 today, got past where i got stuck and now im hooked again. go figure.

Apparently THQ owns the rights since 2007, so theres potentially already a third in the skunkworks.

the series is universally acclaimed btw

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/homeworld

RTS of the Decade? *scratches chin*

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Destruction Derby 2. Nuff said :pac:

Advertisement