Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-visiting your old games

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

noodler wrote: »
    I know what you mean.

After a weekend of online shopping last week I have got the following to get through

Perona 3 FES
    Dead Space
    Bioshock
    Uncharted 2
    Fallout 3 GOTY (already completed the original so this is just for the DLC)

Is this to say you've never played Bioshock ?? :o

I can't help but feel jealous of any avid gamer who has yet/is about to experience Bioshock.
    I wish I could selectively erase my memory, so I could replay games like that for the first time again.
    Easily one of the greatest games ever :)

Enjoy it..its brilliant ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 83,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Oh Emmm Gee

Goldeneye: Source

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Definitely like to revisit old games occasionally - on the PC, you can get to take advantage of eventually seeing the game with all graphics set to max (and in some case, with unofficial graphical mods/updates). And some old games are just plain good. I recently playing Morrowind with various new addons and it's a completely different looking game.

The last 2 months alone, I bought Planescape Torment, Clive Barker's Undying, Gothic 2 and Galactic Civilisations 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

I wasn't that big on bioshock, apart from some elements that scared me ****less, it left me empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Is this to say you've never played Bioshock ?? :o

I can't help but feel jealous of any avid gamer who has yet/is about to experience Bioshock.
    I wish I could selectively erase my memory, so I could replay games like that for the first time again.
    Easily one of the greatest games ever :)

Enjoy it..its brilliant ! :D

I'll start that first then!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You should definitely play Bioshock. Really liked the game. However I have to say I can see were people are coming from when they call it a dumbed down system shock 2. Only managed to play and beat that game recently and despite the awful graphics it really is an amazing game and better than Bioshock.

I started it last night, first a download was required (only 224mb but it took 30 mins) then I had to sit there and watch the installation screen. Bit annoying - why they can't do it like Oblivion and Fallout and install without you realising.

Thats where my bitching ends though. I have just gotten to a certain doctor and have gotten to use 3 plasmoids along the way. Quite enjoyed the "toaster in the bathtub" trophy!

The combat is certainyl secondary to the story and setting more games should make use of the tape recordings lieing about the place (this and Fallout 3 did it superbly) - it really sets the tone and mood for an encounter.

Heard a bit from this Ryan fella - hoping I am told more about the how the city was setup as the game progresses.

Rapture - kind of reminds me of Raheny!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

System Shock 1 and 2 did the tape recorders first, all the way back in 1994 :)

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    System Shock 1 and 2 did the tape recorders first, all the way back in 1994 :)

Tsk, whatever you doofus - never gave them credit for inventing it!

What are you? The bleeding patent police?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭WEST

Systme Shock 2 is a classic and well worth a replay. Just make sure you install the texture pack at http://shtup.home.att.net

I found you get more immersed into the game with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I started it last night, first a download was required (only 224mb but it took 30 mins) then I had to sit there and watch the installation screen. Bit annoying - why they can't do it like Oblivion and Fallout and install without you realising.

Thats where my bitching ends though. I have just gotten to a certain doctor and have gotten to use 3 plasmoids along the way. Quite enjoyed the "toaster in the bathtub" trophy!

The combat is certainyl secondary to the story and setting more games should make use of the tape recordings lieing about the place (this and Fallout 3 did it superbly) - it really sets the tone and mood for an encounter.

Heard a bit from this Ryan fella - hoping I am told more about the how the city was setup as the game progresses.

Rapture - kind of reminds me of Raheny!

Good job with starting it :)
    Bioshock 2 is out in February !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I've been thinking of giving Cod 1+2 a bash again. Re-installed Fallout Tactics the other day, brilliant game ! I'll more than likely fire up Fallout 1+2 also after that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭elpresdentde

i must go back and play Abe's Oddysee was thinking about it last week
    loved it ti death back in the day. i used to work in a meat plant everyday on the way into work this intro would play in my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2EDJbIyzpo

if you have a psp download the ps1 game and play it on your psp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Recently played through Zelda and metroid on snes , playing zombies at my neighbours at the minute, heaps of fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I used to do this a lot but recently ive been thinking that I am possibly wasting my time replaying games (especially long rpg's). Sacrilegious on this forum perhaps! I save myself possibly hours by just skimming through walkthroughs on youtube

I can see alot of people disagreeing with this but think of chrono trigger for example... A game i have replayed a few times. There are around 11 ending or something ridiculous like that. Is it really worth my while playing through the game that many times just see a slightly different ending?! dont even get me started on achievements or collect all 1001 pointless packages GTA style...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Slowly working my way through Fallout 1 again. So much was lost with Fallout 3. Mostly the difficulty.

Anyone who doesn't get teary-eyed every time they go through the first hour of Homeworld is incapable of feeling anything.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I regularly go back to some of my favourites. The Homeworld series, Baldur's Gate 2, Freedom Fighters, System Shock 2. All fantastic games, and worty of the replays.
    Overheal wrote: »
    i thought the first one dragged too much gameplay wise but the story was oddly addictive. see it through to the end. cataclysm and hw2 are also good. HW2 changed it so you automattically grab all resources at the end of a level: This was a major leap forward!!

so i went back to hw2 today, got past where i got stuck and now im hooked again. go figure.

Apparently THQ owns the rights since 2007, so theres potentially already a third in the skunkworks.

the series is universally acclaimed btw

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/homeworld

RTS of the Decade? *scratches chin*
    Universally acclaimed? Darn tootin. Homeworld was the 1st proper 3d RTS, and it was my first proper space opera. I remember the 3rd mission when
    Kharak was destroyed, and actually feeling angry at the enemies in the level. Then in the cutscene when they talked about interrogating a suspect for information, and that he hadnt survived the interrogation. I was like 'you deserved it' and all.
    Ahh, righteous anger :P

On the third stage of Bioshock

Just got pat the submarine scene, that was kind of sad. Wondering now if Ryan is actually controlling the Splicers or did he just release them into the room? Next stage was spooky too.

Other highlights include taking down my first couple of Mr Bs. Tough SOBs and they really don't look like the type of things that will chase you halfway across as level...but they will! Only had the heart to harvest one of the Little Sisters so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Only had the heart to harvest one of the Little Sisters so far.

monster...

Kiith wrote: »
    I regularly go back to some of my favourites. The Homeworld series, Baldur's Gate 2, Freedom Fighters, System Shock 2. All fantastic games, and worty of the replays.

Universally acclaimed? Darn tootin. Homeworld was the 1st proper 3d RTS, and it was my first proper space opera. I remember the 3rd mission when
    Kharak was destroyed, and actually feeling angry at the enemies in the level. Then in the cutscene when they talked about interrogating a suspect for information, and that he hadnt survived the interrogation. I was like 'you deserved it' and all.
    Ahh, righteous anger :P
    Yeah Id go back and finish HW1 if not for the very annoying resource gathering. I got to the last level and then just bombed it. I guess maxing out on salvaged Ion Frigates isnt as helpful as youd think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Only had the heart to harvest one of the Little Sisters so far.

Pretend you're Garry Glitter. It makes it easier.

I have a little netbook that I take with me if I'm off on business trips, so I loaded it up with the Police Quest, Space Quest, Kings Quest and first two Monkey Island games. I kind of prefer them now that I know how to solve most of the puzzles off by heart, so I get to enjoy the stories and dialogues. Kind of sad really. :D

I've just read that there's another Tex Murphy game coming out, which will mean nothing to most, but I loved the series. Makes me want to dig out Under A Killing Moon and give that a go again. I thought it was a brilliant game and series.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Yeah I do this from time to time. Mostly to test out a new graphics card as opposed to doing it for pure nostalgia. Nothin like starting up a game which you always wanted to experience maxed out but was a judder fest on your previous pc or gpu, only to see it in all its glory. Remember when I got a new pc in late 07 with a brand new card and loaded up Oblivion for the first time in a year. To see it running at 30fps + with all the eye candy was epic.

Agricola wrote: »
    Yeah I do this from time to time. Mostly to test out a new graphics card as opposed to doing it for pure nostalgia. Nothin like starting up a game which you always wanted to experience maxed out but was a judder fest on your previous pc or gpu, only to see it in all its glory. Remember when I got a new pc in late 07 with a brand new card and loaded up Oblivion for the first time in a year. To see it running at 30fps + with all the eye candy was epic.
    That was me and HW2. When I tried it several years ago it was blocky and choppy with all the specials disabled. And now its gorgeous and still holds up well for an older title.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

XCom Apocalypse, Deus EX and the Thief games all get a look in from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Nevore wrote: »
    XCom Apocalypse, Deus EX and the Thief games all get a look in from time to time.

+ 1

I still play these alot. Especially X-com Apocalypse

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Finally got around to playing Metroid Prime (GC) and Final Fantasy XII; only had 4hrs play between them.

Impressions: Metroid Prime is a GODLIKE FPS experience. Holy god is it good. Also hard; I keep dying! :rolleyes:

FFXII -- the story isn't great so far, but far from atrocious. The graphics aren't as clear as Persona 3/4 (more pixellated IMO) but that's a stylistic decision and not very distracting. The combat system: FLUID. I don't know how I'll ever accept stop-start turn-based combat, ever again.
    Which means I might never finish the aforementioned Persona titles! :P

Well of the boss battles it might as well be stop start. I much preferred Persona. Persona doesn't force you to run around in circles after every fight to build up MP to heal and doesn't get boring watching the cpu fight every fight for you.

metroid is great enough on GC. I loved it. But buy the Wii Trilogy pack, and start shooting with the Wiimote. Adds a whole new dimension of epicness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Burga Galti

Hmm, Games I'd revist. Well, unfortunatly I don't have the computers to play these any more but I'd have to say Yar's Revenge, Combat, Lander, almost anything from the BBC (for nostalgia purposes) and going more recent: Battlezone, Carrier Command, Silkworm and Supercars.

My wife says Duckhunt, Prince of Persia, Chucky Egg and Dragon Slayer.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well of the boss battles it might as well be stop start. I much preferred Persona. Persona doesn't force you to run around in circles after every fight to build up MP to heal and doesn't get boring watching the cpu fight every fight for you.

No, in Persona you do regain MP the traditional way - items. However, this was possible in FF12 as well wasn't it? You could just use ethers so in actuality surely it just means Persona had one way of regaining MP in battle and FF12 had two?

I like P4 but the world is nowhere near as big as FF12, nowhere near as many interesting things to do and the visuals/monster designs etc are no where near as good.

Both have really challenging boss fights - particularly in the side-quest hunts in the case of FF12.

It was my understanding Retro, that in P3 the other party members actually ARE computer controlled so in essence you ARE watching the computer do most of the fighting for you?

P4 had a story you wanted to get to the bottom off but used so much filler throughout that it will take some patience to finish it. I don't really think the story is why you will play/continue to play FF12.

Advertisement