Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gleann Riada - what's the story

Options
  • 07-12-2009 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭

Was driving through Longford recently and cut across the back between the Athlone Rd and Providers. An awful lot of wasteland and eyesores.

Then I spotted this. What's the story? New townhouses (in a very poor location even if the celtic tiger was still alve), all boarded up and there looks there was never an attempt to sell them?

98237.jpg
    98238.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

You think thats bad, take a look online for Carriglass Manor.....

Take a look here for more like this around Longford:

http://ghostestates.com/v/Longford/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

If that's the place that I'm thinking of, there may have been a planning issue. I thought the place was supposed to be pulled down. I'm only repeating what a pal told me years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭snoopy12

tbh its a disgrace they were built there in the first place - look at the recent flooding in the town :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

those townhouses disgust me.. and this one as well is not too far from them, disgraceful

2139859075_47b3495845.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

gleann riada...thats where all the young ones go doggin'
    hence the name gleann riada (house of riding)

• Advertisement

sounds suspicious alrite.. no wonder theres been awful sort of noises comin from that area over the past few weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

i saw a few needles lyin around the place too..

not good when they leave their needles behind.. theyl be screwed next time they want to sew a patch in their trousers.. completely screwed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 namawinelake

Yesterday Iris Oifigiuil reported that NAMA appointed a property receiver, Lisneys, to a mortgage owed by Eassda Ireland Limited, formerly known as Keygo Properties Limited, an Alastair Jackson company (county Antrim developer whose developments have run into trouble). It is understood the mortgage relates to the Gleann Riada estate pictured above. Actually there's far more to the estate than the apartment block and I see there are houses currently for sale for €150psf - or €120,000 for 800 sq ft.

There were complaints in Longford about the condition of the estate and particularly the unfinished eyesore of an apartment complex. Maybe NAMA funding might find its way to the estate to lift the tide for everyone and maybe get the apartment block completed and sold/rented.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭silver campaign

Don't know why any developer would consider building there in the first place. It's a pity it has become so dilapadated.

I still think that block of town houses could be turned into a school or something. As far as I know, the gaelscoil in slashers pays millions in rent to the pre-fab company that supplies their buildings. Surley the department of education could invest that money in one of these buildings, or in the Vacant army Barracks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭UrbanMonkey

This place is a haven for junkies!

They all go there for days at a time, break into the houses and get wasted..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

One of the houses had an explosion. Apparently was something to do with the sewer, it actually blew the windows out!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭quickrack

:eek::eek:
    Micky 32 wrote: »
    One of the houses had an explosion. Apparently was something to do with the sewer, it actually blew the windows out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

A sorry sight indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 truesmiles

If they knew the houses were gonna end up like this, they shouldn't have wasted their time and money building it, very irresponsible. A disgrace to Longford. They should maybe knock them down and sell the land. Maybe someone might buy it and make it into an attraction for Longford (funfair, waterpark, etc.) I know it's not going to happen though. Anyway that land is too small for any of that. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

What a shocking waste of buildings and building material.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

Hermy wrote: »
    What a shocking waste of buildings and building material.

A shocking waste of my tax money. Someone in the council needs to be brought before the courts and held accountable for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

They can't knock it down now because of the wildlife. It just gets better and better!!

http://www.shannonside.ie/news-details.php?nid=12661

http://www.shannonside.ie/news-details.php?nid=12693&action=newsdetails

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭UrbanMonkey

They can't knock it down now because of the wildlife. It just gets better and better!!

http://www.shannonside.ie/news-details.php?nid=12661

http://www.shannonside.ie/news-details.php?nid=12693&action=newsdetails

Well, in fairness, if it's a protected species I wouldn't knock it down either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Well the apartments are gone. Footage on RTE news at 6 of them been demolished.

It was built on unstable foundations according to the demolition crew.

Might finally get someone in the council and the devolopers brought before the court over this debacle.

Am curious as to why it costs 150,000 to demolish the building too. It doesen't take that long to knock it down and can't imagine there would be that much rubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Equality

Was anyone at the meeting regarding the houses in Gleann Riada earlier this week? I heard the HSE advised the residents to keep the windows open to let the sewerage gases out, and that they should not light fires or matches in the houses. Does anyone have any further information?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

Equality wrote: »
    Was anyone at the meeting regarding the houses in Gleann Riada earlier this week? I heard the HSE advised the residents to keep the windows open to let the sewerage gases out, and that they should not light fires or matches in the houses. Does anyone have any further information?

Good write up about the situation there on page 5 of the Irish Daily Mail today.
    A health service executive report which took 7 months to compile says their homes need urgent repairs to the foundations of sewers to solve the problems.
    Works could cost as much as 30,000 euro for each of the 79 houses affected.
    No help from Developer as he was declared bankrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭baldbear

Compared to the Priory hall houses Glen riada has had alot less coverage. It was on Vincent Browne earlier. Residents want to move to new houses and rightly so. Has James Bannon not done anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭jesse pinkman

Priory Hall has got nothing on this place, built on flood-land, subsidence of monumental degrees, toxic gases, exploding houses where the residence have to leave the windows open all year round.

How the **** did this swamp ever get planning in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭garfieldsghost

Priory Hall has got nothing on this place, built on flood-land, subsidence of monumental degrees, toxic gases, exploding houses where the residence have to leave the windows open all year round.

+1

Plus, how did engineers pass the houses as fit for purpose once they were built? Many, many questions to be answered...

FCUKING BRIBES AND BACKHANDERS AND SUCKING D*CK IN THE COUNCIL CHAMBERS AND EVERYONE KNOWS IT. Am sick of this, how much more of my tax money is going to be spent trying to rectify this debacle. Why has no one ever been charged? Because the council don't want to initiate legal action against themselves because the majority are the same councilors that were in office when permission was given. Whats more I bet the engineers that signed off on the project are drinking buddies of some councilors. Its like that failed building that was going to be built on the corner in Killashee. It has to be one of the worst bends in the country yet the council granted planning permission for an apartment block and some shops units and building began. Only for An Bord Plenala the building would have been built which would have resulted in numerous crashes and most likely several deaths.

So much corruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Equality

Priory Hall residents are still in accommodation paid for by Dublin corporation. If the residents of Gleann Riada are moved out to accommodation paid for by Longford County Council, this will be such an expense that all other services provided by the council will need to be drastically reduced.
    The reality is that if you get one death in Gleann Riada, everyone else will be moved out immediately, and in practice the state or the council will pay for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

somuj wrote: »
    FCUKING BRIBES AND BACKHANDERS AND SUCKING D*CK IN THE COUNCIL CHAMBERS AND EVERYONE KNOWS IT. Am sick of this, how much more of my tax money is going to be spent trying to rectify this debacle. Why has no one ever been charged? Because the council don't want to initiate legal action against themselves because the majority are the same councilors that were in office when permission was given. Whats more I bet the engineers that signed off on the project are drinking buddies of some councilors. Its like that failed building that was going to be built on the corner in Killashee. It has to be one of the worst bends in the country yet the council granted planning permission for an apartment block and some shops units and building began. Only for An Bord Plenala the building would have been built which would have resulted in numerous crashes and most likely several deaths.

So much corruption.

pretty strong post there. you'd need to be careful posting something that's on foundations as dodgy as gleann riada.
    the planning department in the council hasn't been run by engineers in ages. the planning officer is a town planner, not an engineer. it's a different qualification, and also one i feel is to the detriment of town planning.

the athlone road was always one of the first places around the town that flooded after a half ar5ed rain shower. wasn't this part of the flancare development??

Advertisement