Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

enjoyable books for 7 yr old girl with good reading standard ?

Options
  • 07-12-2009 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭

its my little nieces birthday and she loves reading , she just turned seven and has a very good standard of reading , any good recommendations ?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Enid Blyton, Sweet Valley Kids (not SV Twins or High - the content would be too mature.) or Babysitters Club Little Sisters (again not the actual Babysitters Club as they would be a bit too mature in content).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

How about trying out the hobbit? It might be challenging for a child that young but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

I read the Worst Witch series by Jill Murray at about that age and loved them, similarly the Beatrix Potter books. If she's very advanced, or tiring of her existing books maybe try some children's classics, like Heidi, The Secret Garden, The Little Princess etc? I read those at about 9 or 10 and they are still among my favourite books.

Also, 'Black Beauty' is a must for anybody at any age. Children will see things that adults forget to see, so she might like it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Roald Dahl?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sarahlulu

the faraway tree books by Enid Blyton are great, my 7 year old daughter loves them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Denerick wrote: »
    Also, 'Black Beauty' is a must for anybody at any age. Children will see things that adults forget to see, so she might like it.

In that vein Heidi is also a great book for that age group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭jackthekipper

Do you think The Famous Five series would be manageable?

should be ok, secret seven are perfect for my daughter too she loves them

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

It depends what she is like. I was an animal loving tomboy at that age and loved a good book. I didn't really like Enid Blyton (found her style too girlie) but adored Roald Dahl so so much and even now i re-read his books each year (as well as the Narnia books)

• Advertisement

Roald Dahl books are a big hit and even though my daughter is very girly, she adores Horrid Henry books.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭speedy2007

Roald Dahl
    all the Narnia books by C.S. Lewis
    and my all time favourite childhood book - Harriet the Spy. I dont know who wrote it actually but its a classic so wouldnt be hard to find

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

ended up getting her alice in wonderland , is that appropriate ?

she will love it

Also you should look into getting the Horrible History series for her. I loved them at that age, but I was always a little strange...

P.S- Asterix and Obelisk also! Make sure you get the older magazines as the new ones are ment to be crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

I loved James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl when I was 7 and I still have great memories of it 21 years later. first proper non picture (almost) book i ever read

Advertisement