Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CheGuedara

• 07-12-2009 1:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭

2010 - what's it gonna be? Gotta put a PhD to bed that's been/is costing me time on the bike but the important aims are to:
    1. Take in all my 2009 rides again, I'm pretty pleased with the year I'm finishing all in all
    2. Complete the full set of An Post 160kms routes and get the jersey for doing so in September
    3. Get a few more 200km routes done in the year - would like to think I might get the WW200 in with that, we'll see
    4. Try to get to a shape that I can go up the Conor Pass with something that resembles speed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Well first ride post turkey n ham binge (aka Xmas dinner) - took a quick spin out the road with my Da to loosen the legs and take the opportunity while we had more-a-less ice free roads.

Was first tride with GPS (Garmin edge 500) too so can put data up for each ride now.
    LINK --> oh and don't judge too sternly, tweaked a hip flexor Xmas eve climbing out on the dingle peninsula so not a ride on all cylinders!

Will post a review of the Garmin in a month or two when I've more milage with it done too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I really like the Garmin interface - what is it?

Well there's the Garmin Connect site that is nice but it really only seems to give you your pure ride metrics.

What I linked to is ridewithgps.com - I seem to remember someone here on boards suggesting it before. You upload your gpx files from Connect to it and it (just looking at them side by side) seems to do a bit of smoothing on the data and then gives you those breakdown metrics - handy and I think would be very useful for observing improvement over regularly covered routes (should see histogram right shift with training).

Didn't have the cadence sensor fitted for the spin so should have that in future links too, but can only really see that becoming most useful on routes with decent climbs.

Speaking of which - I'm guessing the Conor Pass went unclimbed this Xmas? Was (mountain)climbing up and around Baurtregaum and Caherconree and getting there (in a 4x4) was the most dangerous part of the whole thing - crazy icy on the road and up to maybe 250m then powder snow up to 850m and amazingly cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭hynesie

CheGuedara wrote: »
    Was first tride with GPS (Garmin edge 500) too so can put data up for each ride now.
    LINK --> oh and don't judge too sternly, tweaked a hip flexor Xmas eve climbing out on the dingle peninsula so not a ride on all cylinders!
    Am I reading it wrong or does the elevation graph look wrong?
    If it's an out and back spin why isn't either side of the elevation a mirror image of itself?

Speaking of which - I'm guessing the Conor Pass went unclimbed this Xmas? Was (mountain)climbing up and around Baurtregaum and Caherconree and getting there (in a 4x4) was the most dangerous part of the whole thing - crazy icy on the road and up to maybe 250m then powder snow up to 850m and amazingly cold.

Thanks for that.

Yep Conor pass (and many other climbs) were untouched by me over the holidays. If this thaw continues I am hoping to get there for 3 hill repeats of it (from both sides). That would give 2500m of climbing in around 55km. One of these days. One of these days.

• Advertisement

hynesie wrote: »
    Am I reading it wrong or does the elevation graph look wrong?
    If it's an out and back spin why isn't either side of the elevation a mirror image of itself?

Barometric altimeter - I've heard there can be issues with them in Garmin devices - I'm guessing even atmospheric pressure variations could affect it but don't quote me on that.

Need to read up on the device TBH, don't forget this was a fist use out of the box - there's many settings etc I still haven't looked at.

Well, 2 degrees Celsius, cold stuff... was tempted to take my post ride cup of tea with me into the shower in the rush to warm up again!

Another soft spin just to give the legs something to be doing LINK.

Think I've the altimeter thing licked too -->
    Garmin wrote:
    Question: How accurate is the elevation on my Edge 500?
    Answer: The Edge 500 calculates elevation data using a barometric altimeter as opposed to satellite information. The standard area of accuracy for the device, when given time to calibrate, is +/- 50 feet. The barometric pressure sensor, which is responsible for altimeter readings, is not temperature compensated. Temperature changes in the measuring device will affect the barometric pressure sensor and altimeter readings
    To ensure that elevation data is accurate at the beginning of an activity the user has the ability to calibrate the elevation manually. To calibrate the elevation manually, please follow the steps below.
    1. Go to the Main Menu
    2. Select GPS
    3. Select Set Elevation
    4. Set the elevation to the known elevation of your starting point
    5. Select Save
    The elevation will then be calibrated from this manually set elevation if your activity begins within thirty meters of the set elevation.

So that's how to fix it on the unit (handy if you always know your starting elevation I guess). Wouldn't have thought temperature would have such an effect and I guess the easiest way to make sure it has minimal impact would be to either leave the device on the bike, or put it on the bike outdoors for 15-20 minutes before you start going to allow it to climatise).

I've also found that ridewithgps will also offer to ammend your elevation data with USGS/local (OSI?) elevation data if it thinks your info is dodgy - so todays ride data is a bit neater on the elevation front.

Right, haven't been keeping this thing updated properly at all...

Still putting time down on the turbo after work 30mins - 1hr every second night and that's going well (probably driving the neighbours demented but meh).

Last ride was the Blarney CC, Donal Crowley Sportive - grand run, fast paced (if you could keep with the leaders....) and in grand, dry weather. The return leg was made more difficult with a good head wind.

LINK

Working at wattages etc is all well and good but need to get my ass out cycling on the road more, put down more real world miles though...

Managed to get out with the GF last saturday before the snow came back... Just another slow spin out the road to Castleisland again... had hoped to get out for a longer run but the 9am club run was cancelled due to black ice so a short spin was jumped at at 12 to get something done with the day.

LINK.

39km isn't bad for her first spin of the year and she's very determined to get to the An Post 50-60km rides but the best bit of it all is as she goes along, when under pressure she's begun to come out with Jens' "shut up legs!" - brilliant! A cyclist by osmosis in the making there!

Still rolling on the turbo - getting 15mins to 1hr when I can in the evening at 200-250W (according to the unit, no power meter to double check it) - will get it higher but will take time.

Next proper ride planned is the Tour de Cure and the following day going to try for the Tour of Sligo as well (nuts I know but I spent 3 years cycling around there in college so it'll be good to get out there again).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

What computer are you using for that? Looks good! ;)

EDIT: Please ignore, I read above that it is a Garmin EDGE 500. Any reason why you are not using the Garmin software/mapping website?

• Advertisement

Truth be told there's nothing wrong with the Garmin Connect site, I just prefer the way it's presented on ridewithgps and the histogram info is quite useful.

I've been loading data to mtbguru as well for a distance vs time graph that is/will be useful for looking at fatigue over time and the distance of an event

I think each of the sites has their pros and cons, it's a quick job to put each ride on each one though so not too much trouble

Nothing much to post relating to miles travelled or meters of alt. gained this post.

Was the GFs birthday last week and in an effort to ensure prezzie happiness straight up said 'let me know what you would like...' - and after a bit of thinking she comes back, and I was expecting one of the reliables: shoes, handbag, 'shinys' etc but this time was caught way waaay off guard - Cycling shoes and pedals.

Couldn't believe it.

So a bit of shopping online and a courier delivery later saw me fitting spd-sl's onto her bike and cleats onto a new pair of Shimano road shoes last night - Crabon Fribe soled ones mind you! (e40 from CRC). Tell ya my first cycling shoes weren't that fancy!

So it looks like we've a cyclist on our hands here (the brain washing has worked, muh ha ha!).

Think I might have even heard her say 'certaintly' on the phone....

Been doing more turbo miles than miles on the road recently and then when on the road mostly training with SWMBO, getting her used to being attached to the bike, unclipping etc etc. Sort of a work in progress TBH with a few spud falls already and a nicely grazed knee but we'll get there in the end.

Actually it's quite unusual - she unclips well in advance of actually needing to (left foot) rolls up the junction, roundabout whatever and then tries to put the still clipped in right food down - it'd be Monty Pythonish if it didn't mean she was falling out into traffic :eek:

So that leads me to last weekends spins

Saturday
    Sunday

And todays first spin on the new bike - got a bit of a repreive to go and do my own thing so thankfully a bit faster than what's been getting done in recent weeks

LINK

Also got my photo-fu on to try to please those critics who weren't impressed with the caliber of my images of beauty photos.

Still no snow so gorgeous March sunshine had to do instead...:D

wjcd5h.jpg

o01cah.jpg

ajqxya.jpg

mkvmz7.jpg

Mad photo skilz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

How were the wheels? Any difference maintaining high speeds, could you feel the watts being saved?

Kicking myself I didn't order some, they look awesome...or they would if your photos were of superior artistic quality :D

EDIT: Wrecking my head, I can't see any obvious photoshop signs covering up how you propped the bike up, argh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

Hi Che,

Nice bike!

Are they Ergonova or Ergosum bars? How do you find them?

@ Dirk - I'm gonna have to go to a night class in photography methinks!

The wheels are great, definitely hold speed better than Kysiriums without being effort to spin up to speed at the same time. I'd guess at from maybe 20mph upwards they come into their own with the aero advantage making itself felt and then you're cruising.

You can definitely feel when you meet a cross wind so I'd say they're not ideal for properly windy days where you'd get thrown off line but anything short of that and unless you're facing into lots of hills then they're a great job.

@ chakattack - Thanks man, I'm really pleased with it now - just have to get enough time out of work to really enjoy it! :D

Re. the bars - they're the ergosums, my first foray into compact bars and they're nice, very nice.

The Gallium is ~ 2cm shorter than my TCR and with the compact drop I'm actually considering lowering the bars as it's much easier to go from the tops/hoods to the drops and actually stay there for long periods of time.

I'll need to spend more time on the bike to say if how good they are long term but my initial impression is that they're much more user friendly than the FSA anatomic bar type which has a more significant drop (FSA K-wing anatomic bars).

Finally got out for a decent spin this weekend, nothing spectacular but enough to allow me to go and push it a bit.

Enjoyable, a bit of work but enjoyable. I've a long way to go before I'm near my best but happy enough with the average speed for the distance.

LINK TO ROUTE

The new machine is definitely a different one to the TCR, lighter front end so descending is a slightly different affair but no speed wobbles etc to report.

Had an issue or two with the edge 500 though - intermittently start/stoped recording whilst rolling a few times. Literally for just 1 second when it happens but still it shouldn't be doing that. Upgraded the firmware Saturday evening hopefully that'll remedy things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Finally got out for a decent spin this weekend, nothing spectacular but enough to allow me to go and push it a bit.

Enjoyable, a bit of work but enjoyable. I've a long way to go before I'm near my best but happy enough with the average speed for the distance.

LINK TO ROUTE

The new machine is definitely a different one to the TCR, lighter front end so descending is a slightly different affair but no speed wobbles etc to report.

Had an issue or two with the edge 500 though - intermittently start/stoped recording whilst rolling a few times. Literally for just 1 second when it happens but still it shouldn't be doing that. Upgraded the firmware Saturday evening hopefully that'll remedy things.

You were going well that day i ended up doing way too much.

You were going well that day i ended up doing way too much.

Hey lad, thanks - I'm pleased with the ride I put down, it's hard to beat those mornings when you can just get up, kit out and give it socks from start to finish. Definitely lagging behind where I was last year though - spending a lot of time either on the turbo or helping herself get going on the bike (a long term brain washing programme coming to bear fruit) which are all turns in the cranks but don't have the same benefit as just going out there and laying down the kms

That crew you were riding with are the lads from the club training for the Etape - they're very strong (some might even say too strong...). It's a good route that they did though, but I usually dont even look at it until June or so wasn't going to touch it this early in the year.

Good to put a face to a username and even more so seeing its a former class mate, we'll probably meet you on the roads around Tralee again some stage and if not that then we're hitting a lot of the major sportives in the country this year so maybe again at a few of them.

Another decent run in last Saturday, all miles in the legs...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/28782300

@ ROK ON: Talk of doing a 79 mile south Kerry route next weekend. Some climby stuff you'll already be familiar with....

• Advertisement

Thanks Che.
    Will be away so hoping to get in spin on Friday. Following weekend would be good however. If not enjoy. Thanks.
    New bike now in Kerry so itching to get out on her.

ROK ON wrote: »
    New bike now in Kerry so itching to get out on her.

WE DEMAND PICS!!!

I'll drop a line again if we head south again - the Etape crew are trying to build more climbs into their routes so safe to say it'll be looking more and more likely (going over and back the Conor Pass is good but gets old pretty fast)

Aaah, finally a warm cycle....

80km or so, a decent bit of hills and a respectable enough pace

LINK

Even ended up riding the back end of the cycle with the arm warmers off and in the back pocket :D Like cycling in summer, love it

First run out the peninsula this spring - very very windy making the ride a lot of work, especially with 50mm cosmics on it. Was blown right out on the dotted line at one point :eek: not that you'll be able to see it on the GPS LINK.

Happy with the ride though, felt good on the bike and put in a good climb over Curraghmore before getting back to Tralee.

Three days of spins - GREAT! :D

Saturday saw me in mentoring mode for novice club members (including a new junior who was pretty literally dropped in on spec!) over a soft course in what saw us get a biblical drenching between Castleisland & Faranfore. Driven hail and rain that would knock an elephant on its ass!

Sunday was a bit more fun, more hills, more speed, more rain, but good craic

Monday (the long weekend super-bonus spin) was a 50:50 affair - did the first 20-something km with SWMBO (who will be doing her first sportive next wkend in Middleton) and was then given a repreive to put down some speed after that. Great fun, scenic and DRY! Some horrendous potholes in central north Kerry though (when faced with them you'd be as well off on a full on DH rig and with a potholers helmet) and thought I'd cracked a rim after clattering the rear wheel in a failed bunnyhop pothole avoidance attempt.

SATURDAY

SUNDAY
    MONDAY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭alanucc

You didn't happen to be set upon by an angry St Bernard out near Ballyduff by any chance? Nearly lost my life.

JESUS, No - I'd have definitely made note of that! Would be like being chased by a bear!

Had a sheepdog that had a look at having a go but failed to clear his garden wall to chase that was about it - will have to keep an eye out for the Beast of Ballyduff in future! :D

Aaaaagh!! Fitting tubless tyres is a total PITA :mad: - sweat, tears and broken tyre levers...and still not on the rims...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Ah yes, I forgot to mention that 'little problem' to you, as I said to Tomás last Sunday, if the can of Vittoria Pitstop doesn't work I'm calling for a lift home !

• Advertisement

Phew. Some mad weekend.

Friday - Drive to Tralee. Pick up bikes

Saturday AM - Drive to Midleton. 50km with GF (smallframe on boards now) - her first sportive and all went OK, met Roche had a chat about Nicholas and racing and was grand for a first ride (accompanied). Would like to put up GPS info but the Edge 500 is acting up big time - false auto pauses even when cruising at >30kph and it ate the data file for Saturday.

Saturday PM - Drive to Sligo (definitely not breaking carbon neutral - somewhere there's a native American chief in tears at the damage done to the environment in the name of cycling this weekend).

Sunday - Tour of Sligo 160km. Great day of cycling - would recommend it. Again GPS was losing the plot but managed to get the ride downloaded before it disappeared into the digital ether. LINK 1, LINK 2

Then topped off with a drive back to Dublin!

Next time someone is sitting on the fence about driving to an event - HTFU pills - take some - it'll be worth it

Advertisement