Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CheGuedara

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

F@&K !! 183.6 km/h !!!

Fair play, them tubeless have really made an impact !!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Murph100 wrote: »
    F@&K !! 183.6 km/h !!!

Fair play, them tubeless have really made an impact !!! :)

Told ya I was giving it socks!!

Just another example of Garmins finest failing to do it's job properly

After much WTFing about the Garmins acting up I think I might have an answer to it's misbehaving.

Apparently when using a Garmin device and a speed/cadence sensor it will record position by GPS and speed from the sensor so I'm guessing for any section where speed=0 the autopause kicks in and stops the device recording distance/location too.

Bet it's a tired battery issue.

Still not sure why it ate the data file for last Saturday (and the one for Sunday since!). Something to keep an eye on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

On the many occasions that my garmin fecks up. The ridewithgps site manages to retrieve and fix the data.

Well, definitely something a bit different from the norm today. Bone dry blacktop which was 95% complete and debris free which gave a great opportunity to go out and try for the fastest 100km

The first ~50km was into a headwind, nothing major but on an open, exposed road meant drafting was the order of the day to make decent head way. Was made a little hazardous by many riders not really having a good grasp of group cycling or cycling etiquette i.e. undertaking, overtaking by pretty much coming through you and only then to sit up and make iffy headway on flat or descending ground, not pointing out debris on the road etc.

The return ~50km was with a gentle headwind which made life a lot easier and meant you could ride off the front when feeling strong and stay out front - so I gave it socks, or something like socks for as long as I could in my own little ITT (legs felt it from 92km I can tell you). Tried to put a strong finish in and crossed the finish line at speed - to be greeted by girls giving out certs 30ft from the line, nearly ran one of them down!!

Garmin giving a bit of trouble still even after replacing the battery in the cadence sensor but RwGPS (LINK) is giving me accurate looking info which tells me:

Distance: 107.8km
    Time: 3hr14.17
    Average Speed: 33.2kph

And just to illustrate the tale to two halves nature of the ride

First 53.8km
    Time: 1hr45.41
    Average Speed: 30.5kph

Last 53.8kph
    Time: 1hr28.06
    Average Speed: 36.6kph

Glad I did the ride, a bit expensive in light of the nature of the water/food stops which were basic but sufficient, but given it was a one off I'll take it

Edit - just looked at the data again 3h01.30 for 100km & 33kph average. I'll happily take that.

• Advertisement

Nice spin today running Tralee - Conor Pass - Cloghane - Tralee. LINK

Made good time to Cloghane and then helped the GF back to Tralee from there (was her first 90km cycle)

Very hot today - was well pushed to keep well enough hydrated and cool (about time the Summer kicked in! :D)

Nice day of cycling put down today after a few weeks of bikeless activity and more time spent playing and training for tag rugby (Lab Rats FTW!).

Got a nice club spin done this morning (LINK), nothing too severe as had new novice member out and so the pace and distance was tailored to something a bit more do-able than the predicted regular Etape du North Kerry hammerfests that become the norm around this time of year as the training begins to show.

Had the opportunity to do something a bit different (for me at least) this evening - our neighbours in Currow CC were holding a TT in advance of the Drumm Cup race tomorrow and I figured 'f*ck it, I'll go for the craic' - so I did.

Went and gave it socks (LINK), as many as I could, and put down the 13km course in 24.45 and took second in the A4 category, so quite pleased with myself all in all and wouldn't mind doing a bit more TTing if the opportunity presented itself. Murph100 was there and put down a blistering pace too - I'm sure he'll be along to tell his story so I won't spoil it by telling it first.

So, tomorrow - Drumm Cup, will I go and have a cut off the A4 race? I'll sleep on it and decide in the AM

Well I've already sung this events praises on the TdB thread so I'll keep this thankfully short.

GREAT DAY. A faultless cycle IMHO, everything was just top drawer in sportive terms - route, markings, marshalls, foodstops, weather, everything.

Had a great day myself - went strong enough over Corker and Corkscrew as far as Lisdoonvarna and the epic, strawberry cheesecake filled food stop there. Met Dirkvoodo there briefly and I think I was too buzzed from the post Corkscrew hammerfest I had to hold a proper conversation :D Again riders were treated to the awsome lighter than air cheesecake, which coupled with the gargantuan supplies of food and fruit must have kept the small pedalling army that was on the road well satisfied. From there backed down a wee bit to save a bit for the dead road outside Corofin and then went very well up Moher and then worked a bit of a paceline/chaingang back to Ballyvaughan with a reassuringly small number of wheelsuckers.

Wound up the pace into the last 5km and came into the village flying and ready for a sprint for the line, dropped the cassette and got cranking - only to be denied by a marshal frantically waving me down... Denied....

Was delighted with the icecream on the line and dashed away for a quick shower before meeting the rest of the gang coming in off the course and then it was a great evening of barbecue food, chatting cycling with Paddy & co of the Burren CC, being discovered by the CLSP guys (Hi!) and then chatting into the early hours with O'Loughlins tastiest pints.

WHAT. A. GREAT. WEEKEND.

Only spoiler was having another issue with the Garmin 500 - seems to have eaten the data files again (this is getting old now), trying data recovery but suspect the f*cker has done a number on it again. Seems to happen when I use the cadence sensor so I'm gonna chuck that for a while and see if it makes a difference.

In anycase for 152km I recall a 27.7kph average and a ride time of 5.28 (or so) - but you'll have to take my word for it....

As per my Trip to Tipp thread post with a few small additions

Some day on a bike guys, some day.

Lotsa rain, which added to the challenge of the day and made things a bit of work but it was a great example of a very well run, well executed small (in the context of things like the An Post series) sportive.

The route definitely had enough to keep everyone interested with Mt Mellory (sp) added to the Glen of Aherlow and Vee ascents of previous years. My own personal performance on these left a lot to be desired - could've just been a bit of a bonk or still being depleted after being unwell last week but the result was I couldn't climb for sh!te.

The marshalls were just excellent with motor cycle outriders going ahead and holding all the junctions for the peloton for the whole day and one (I think his name was Karl (?)) on a wine color Harley gave me multiple assists on some of the small hills and kicker climbs when I was shelled out and losing touch with the group. Mechanical assist yes but better than any gruber assist!! I'd though about getting in the broom wagon and his help and the phrase 'shut up legs' going through my head kept me on the bike where I'd otherwise have called it quits at 140km, so major thanks to Karl.

The food stop was great, tea/coffee, cake, melon, raisins, chocolate bars, crisps and more sandwiches than one could ever eat (and taking a page from BK's 'have it your way' philosophy which was a nice touch).

Thinking of the climbs they weren't bad, I just didn't have power in the pins to do anything more than spin up them. The Glen is a short affair with a fast wee drop off it and the Vee is definitely one of the most consisent tempo climbs I've come across. Running from the foodstop straight into Mt Mellory, cold and with a stomach full of food added to the trial it was to get over the top (must be how Cav feels when he's just dragging himself over the Pyrenees or Alps...) but on a dry day it could be pretty good.

The last 30km were a bit of a blur as I got a bit of a second wind and worked in a good group with boardsie Damo80 back to Thurles. There was a fella controlling the changes in the pace line who played drill sergeant en route - nothing like a stranger shouting to bring up deep issues with authority...

Lastly - thanks to my clubmate Ken (buzzing noise here on boards) who came back and rode some of the climbs with me n helped me catch the peloton after my p!ss poor climbs when he could have easily kept up with the front runners, it's really appreciated man.

The event suffered a bit from the weather today but I'll be back my 4th Trip to Tipp next year - it's a great event and I'd really recommend it

Stats for the ride; 181.7km in 6h43, avg 27kph RwGPS link

Not a bad ride for me on this one. The route was a bit of a mixed bad but on the balance was worth doing (at least once). It wouldn't have the same scenic appeal as the other An Post rides with views limited largely to views of hedges and fields rather than grand vistas from high ground over valleys or the sea etc.

Still glad to have done it, not ready to commit to doing it again mind you. I'd have to hear that there was significant consultation by the organisers with a cycling club during the planning process to just get a better grasp of what cyclists want and look out for in events including the routing as opposed to just taking the most circuitous route to pass by as many heritage sites as possible in 166km. I would have my doubts that cyclists would have recommended the route as it stands give the standard of the roads covered during the day and the redonkulous number of junctions that needed to be travelled.

GPS up and going perfectly now with a new cadence sensor and firmware update too - HAPPY DAYS!

In any case here's my read of the route taken from the ToM 2010 thread.
    CheGuedara wrote: »
    Put down the 160km myself yesterday - I'd be inclined to agree with most of what has been posted already as reviews of the event.

For what I think most expected to be a relatively easy 160km it definitely had enough to keep one on their toes/pedals and frequently brakes!
    The route was definitely something different:

Little hills. So many little hills. Coming at you one after the other, all day long. Different to looking into a route with a small set of large named ascents but definitely an equal match for effort when trying to put in a good time. And drumlins near the end - LC geography made them sound like little lumps left behind after the ice age - they're soooo not, they're proper wee kicker hills, bewarned!!

Road surfaces that were shocking for the most part - Noel Dempsey, hang your head in shame, you should take lessons from Jackie Healy-Rae, he could give you a master class on how to get roads sorted!! I won't be complaining as loudly about Kerry roads for some time to come :D

The amount of junctions was phenomenal - I couldn't guess how many we passed through yesterday but I would bet that the total number of junctions exceeds the total of all the other An Post rides combined :eek: Gravel going through some of them made for some very interesting last minute line changes to make sure the bike was kept rubber side down though!!

The marshalling was great with all but two junctions (IIRC) over the 160km covered over the course of the day (one of which was a very fast descent into a T junction with a main road - serious potential for accidents at that one.) Didn't see anything in the way of a lead marshalls car or broomwagon at any stage but having the contact numbers sheet probably made them redundant for the better part (tell that to the guy who I passed at ~125km with a cracked frame though!). Also the roads were practically empty of motor vehicles which was 1. amazing and 2. great!

The food stops were grand. The water stop a little early and chaotic (riders all over the road!) but food stop was OK with sandwiches and coffee/tea for the hoards that arrived in, along with dynamite chocolate cake FTW! Saw the energy product wrappers along the road as we got to towards the end of the day - shameful, people need to get a clue and put the wrappers into their pockets. Yes they might be sticky but they'll be washing the jersey anyway FFS!

Great meeting the boardsies en route too - nice to meet ye guys :D The new kit looks well, but then again so does the original - I'm gonna sit on the fence as to which is nicer I think. We had our new kit out on the road for it's first outing as well, think it looks well all in all.

The cycle was quite scenic all in all - was possibly working too hard to see the 'heritage' en route but glad to have done it and ticked it off the list. The medal and Tshirt were nice to get but definitely the popcorn and cereal bar were well appreciated (read as inhaled) when I got back to the car!

Covered the 166km in 5h49, Avg 28.4kph - not a bad day in the saddle (certainly happier with my performance than last week).

Next up on the Chain Gang CC menu - Orwell Wheelers Randonee, Aug 15th -looks like a nice one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭alanucc

Have you done this climb Che?

http://beta.mapmyride.com/route/detail/19926446/

Did it today and nearly died. Good feeling at the top though!

alanucc wrote: »
    Have you done this climb Che?

http://beta.mapmyride.com/route/detail/19926446/

Did it today and nearly died. Good feeling at the top though!

Yup, normally would get it in at least twice in a year (zero time this year though) - it's a bit of work isn't it!? Took photos on it at the Hill Climb Champs this year and while I can claim to have covered it I definitely dont climb it at the same clatter as Ryan Sherlock or Paul Griffin (or Blorg)!

Of the two sides of short mountain it's not the most difficult but the road surface is definitely better (and you're this much |<->| less likely to have a major heart attack on it!)

A nice ride - organised a few from my club to turn out to ride with the Tour de Munster riders while they were on what would be home turf for us.

Joined the peloton leaving Tralee and rolled on very handy to the Conor Pass where the traditional sufferfest began and things strung out. Had a good climb for the amount of training I've got in so happy with it despite the damp drizzly conditions on the hill. Met ROK_ON at the top, not a happy bunny - two days of energy gels etc had led to an upset insides but I'm betting it's just sand bagging (or strict following of Rule 46a) - in any case Paddy Power are giving me good odds on him being first into Cork today:p

Waited for a while on the top to see the 'hammer drop' racers come over the top - if seeing lads appear out of the mist giving 100% to make the top of the Pass doesn't inspire to train harder and race nothing will!

Had a roll into Dingle - no high speed antics... couldn't see jack through my glasses and even less with them off!

Rolled out the road ahead of the group after a coffee break in Dingle and waited for them at Anascaul before rejoining and riding with them as far as Castlemaine where I paused to help the marshals guide the riders (now in groups of ~20 with gaps of 5-20 minutes between them) through the village. Got really cold making the climb home to Tralee with cold knees feel a bit more than normal but maybe it'll count to my karma for the year :D

Anyhow 4.10 for 108km - nice spin in good company.

Wouldn't mind giving the whole 4 days a go next year if time and training allows, we'll see how things go.

Next on the calendar - the Sean Kelly 160 (wearing number 9 on the day - lowest number I've ever got for an event!) and after that our own Chain Gang Sportives, though I may find myself marshaling or in a lead car for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭damo80

hi Che, i think i passed you around Conors Pass. least i think it was you, gave you a qucik hello as i passed but i was chasing so couldnt stop sorry. thanks alot for coming out and with the other Gang members too. was great to see the local clubs out. oh and ROK_On was sandbagging. flew up every hill he did!!

Not much I can add to my thread post about the event really.

Was really pleased with the day over all. We had ~23 members of the club over from Kerry for the event which was great - it can be difficult to motivate people sometimes to get them to travel out of county to events but I think it's something that people are more and more realising is both very enjoyable and rewarding.

Everything came together pretty well for me on the road, the bike was cruising along, the new kit was comfortable, the road was good (the hills a solid test).

The GPS data for the ride says 6.25 for the distance, average speed 24.9kph, average HR 88% of max (!). Other interesting nuggets - the steepest bit of Seskin, apparently, is 21.4%.

Yeah.

Twenty.
    One.
    Point.
    Four.
    Percent.

Don't fell so bad about having to stop on it now after seeing that to be honest!:D

*Long Post Alert*

Great day on the bike, exhausting but great [pretty much my opinion of it every year since it started!] Saw loads of boardsies over the day - didn't get the chance to talk to many but tried to get a 'hi boardsie' to as many as I could. Everyone seemed to be rolling really well and in high spirits

Made the route in 6h25 which I'm pleased with. RWGPS link.

Was an amazing sight right off the start seeing the huge stream of cyclists both ahead and behind stretching over the hill ahead and back over the one you've just covered - just class and great to see so many people out on bikes.

Had though all weekabout cutting Seskin out (had been suffering the Seskin Trembles - a from of PTSD after climbing it the last three years) but when the turn off came the bike turned left and I was along for the ride. Tapped up to the hairpin and tried to recover for the second half. The bugger beat me for the 1st time, had to pause about 2/3 up to catch my breath... some hill...

Powers was fine, better than fine actually and rode well up it [I now suspect there was a slight tailwind]. Scratch that. I was in the zone. It was all me and a previously untapped, and unfortunately transient, climbing prowess :D

Mahon Falls was everything I knew I was getting into - loads of lactic acid. Was soooo happy to have a 27 to put with my 39T coz anything less and I was f*cked! The chopper passed overhead about 1/3 of the way up and then left just as I reached the top - having climbed (mountaineering climbing) a lot in Kerry and assisted Kerry Mt Rescue I'm not a fan of seeing it as you know it's serious when you see 'big bird' on the scene. Little did I know who was in it...

Anyhow - rolled on from there with two clubmates that helped tow my sorry tired ass over the Mama road (in the unlikely event they see this - Cheers Donnacha/Brendan - was on vapors at that point so it was well appreciated). Was delighted to see the main road and the tailwind on it and the rolling/falling road gave the chance let loose the TT/descender-fu and leave whatever was left in the legs on the road.

I think any route that leaves you so well tested that you arrive in well exhaused but with a smile on your face from the completion of it is a great one and the SKT hasn't failed in 4 years to deposit me back in Dungarvan like that.

The whole thing is a credit to those involved in it; all the marshalls, those staffing the food stops, and those that make it happen, Sean Kelly, An Post, WLSP and the various sponsors.

Only 364 days till the next one. Count me in.

Think I'm coming to the end of my season now - gotta try and finally put the nightmare PhD from Hell to bed so the bike's gonna have to take a bit of a back seat unfortunately.

Looking back at my aims for the year I haven't done so badly to be honest
    2010 - what's it gonna be? Gotta put a PhD to bed that's been/is costing me time on the bike but the important aims are to:
    1. Take in all my 2009 rides again, I'm pretty pleased with the year I'm finishing all in all
    2. Complete the full set of An Post 160kms routes and get the jersey for doing so in September
    3. Get a few more 200km routes done in the year - would like to think I might get the WW200 in with that, we'll see
    4. Try to get to a shape that I can go up the Conor Pass with something that resembles speed

Donal Crowley Memorial Sportive - DONE
    Tour de Cure - DONE
    Killorglin CC Sportive - NOPE
    Tour de Burren - DONE
    Currow CC Sportive - NOPE (On Sept 5th - going to miss it)
    Ring Of Kerry - Nope (First one in 12 I've missed - Damn you Work!)
    Trip to Tipp 200 - DONE
    Abbeywheelers Coast Run Sportive - Ah, NO!
    Tour of Waterford - DONE
    Conor Pass Challenge - DONE. Rode it accompanying the Tour De Munster whilst it was riding through home turf. 50:50 on actually riding the route on the day. May be filling the Mecha 1 seat as the event mechanic.

Also done

Tour of Sligo 160km
    Tour of Meath 166km
    M3 100km
    Drumm Cup TT

Have most of my cycling logged by GPS so the stats I'm getting for the year are:

2148km covered with a cumulative elevation gain of 16,171 meters - not too bad given the lack of training this year.

Hopefully the Conor Pass climbing speedyness will come with better training next year when I've more freedom (read as finished and unemployed) - would like to get racing and TTing too.

Time will tell...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

@Che. If by any chance you are on duty in a car on the day of the ChainGang sportif, I would be very grateful of a 'sticky bottle' tow up the Pass.

Well done on the year. Looking fwd to Blasket Blast, may even head over the night before for carb loading.

Better than that lad - if I'm not riding it I'll probably be on the back of a motorcycle, better again for exceptionally sticky water bottles (must be super glue on the ones I've been given :D).

If you head over the evening in advance let me know and I'll join you for the pastafest (God knows it could be fierce testing on that motorcycle all day, best have a good store of glycogen built up...)

Advertisement