Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best brand of Wireless programmable Room Thermostats

Options
  • 07-12-2009 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I am looking to upgrade the heating controls in my house and put in two zones with Wireless RF programmable Room Thermostats.

I was wondering what is the best brand of room stats to use.

I am not too worried about ease of install my big issue is they need to be user friendly. The end user is not very technologically minded.

Looking at various instructions online the Myson MPRTRF looks the easiest to use. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭youtheman

It would be very unusual to fit two programmable room stats as each device is a combined thermostat and timer. It's o.k. to have separate thermostats (be they hard wired or wireless), but it's normal to have one central timer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

youtheman wrote: »
    It would be very unusual to fit two programmable room stats as each device is a combined thermostat and timer. It's o.k. to have separate thermostats (be they hard wired or wireless), but it's normal to have one central timer.

Sorry, I think this is misleading. A programmable thermostat allow you to configure various temperatures at different times of the day, not simply just switch on and off the boiler. For example you could have one zone for upstairs bedrooms and program 20C 7am to 8 am, 16C during the day, and 20C 10pm to 11:30 etc. A second downstairs programmable thermostat could be programmed to suit occupancy as required. A boiler interlock should be added so that the boiler is only enabled when one or more zones is calling for heat. Larger properties may have up to 8 heating zones. Don't forget to include the HW cylinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭nailer8

Thanks Pete67
    That's exactly what i want.
    Zone 1 downstairs - warm in the afternoon, evening, weekends etc.
    Zone 2 bedrooms - warm bedtime & morning etc.

Currently my setup is two zones with manual taps (which i plan to replace with motorised valves), the water is always flowing through the cylinder.

I would fit a third motorised valve and put a stat on the hot water cylinder but i don't currently have a boiler interlock and there is no simple way to run a cable.

Is there such a thing as a wireless relay. i.e. something that would take a signal from one (or more) of the motorised valves when they are activated send a wireless signal to a receiver at the boiler which switches the 240 to the boiler.

BTW - Still no closer to finding out what brand of programmable stat is best.
    Also anyone recommend a cheap place to buy that stuff (preferable online & Preferable Irish).

Advertisement