Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what specs should i watercool?

Options
  • 07-12-2009 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

i am doing a project on liquid cooling, and was wondering what would be a computers specs when its decided that it should be liquid cooled?
    like what type of processor should it have, graphics, core running temperature etc.
    thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

Any spec really, the main reasons for water cooling are:

1. For a quieter system, although water cooling is usually a lot noisier.
    2. To overclock components further then allowed on air cooling.
    3. For the insides of the PC to look nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

mcw92 wrote: »
    i am doing a project on liquid cooling, and was wondering what would be a computers specs when its decided that it should be liquid cooled?
    like what type of processor should it have, graphics, core running temperature etc.
    thanks.

Its generally on higher end stuff,although its not uncommon to start out WC'ing something old before you ruin your i7 :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Hosso

Where can i get good water cooling parts? I live in dublin. Any shops like Maplin or Peats?

Hosso wrote: »
    Any shops like Maplin or Peats?

No brick & mortar stores will stock good WC parts. Pixmania.ie is probably the ''easiest'' place to order from (Irish prices).Some of the UK sites are better though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Deano12345 wrote: »
    No brick & mortar stores will stock good WC parts. Pixmania.ie is probably the ''easiest'' place to order from (Irish prices).Some of the UK sites are better though

Don't use cheap ass pixmania horrible products.
    Go out get yourself a 3V card www.3v.ie
    top that sucker up

here's a couple of shops I use alot
    www.highflow.nl
    www.chilled-pc.co.uk
    www.watercoolinguk.co.uk
    www.aquatuning.com
    www.sidewindercomputers.com

most of those sites sell starter kits if thats what your into and I would also recommend go onto www.xtremesystems.org and view some of the builds and check the parts being used.

In my system I'm cooling my GFX, processor, custom built NB and SB block, mosfets dual loop system using a feser 1x480 Rad and swiftech 1x 240 rad and two mcp355 pumps, ek spinner bay reservoir and a EK 150 tube reservoir, tygon 3/8 1/2od tubing all bitspower fittings.

Here's a pic of my current i7 @ 4.2Ghz setup which is getting re-homed on monday in a new case.
    DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

something like the above will set you back by around 650Euro's alone(bitspower fittings cost a fortune)
    whereas the start kits from swiftech will set you back by 200Euro's for a pump,res,rad,tube and a cpu block. and they will do the exact same job for a fraction of the price compared to a solution built using various parts ect.
    But thing about custom sets is quality and flow and less restrictive due to the parts that most use, but a big factor is price it will cost you alot more!

CPU blocks range in price from 40E up to 100E
    GFX blocks range from 70 up to 120E
    NB+SB blocks will set you back around 110 or custom ones around 200
    Mosfet blocks around 40E
    Rads depending on size 30E upwards
    Pumps 50E upwards

Avoid anything that has Thermaltake written on it do a google on there watercooling parts and you will see why.

• Advertisement

Wow,the NB/SB block looks great,who built it if you dont mind me asking ?

Two guys over on xtremesystems called Bei Fei and another guy called NaeKuh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Hosso

Mac daddy wrote: »
    Don't use cheap ass pixmania horrible products.
    Go out get yourself a 3V card www.3v.ie
    top that sucker up

here's a couple of shops I use alot
    www.highflow.nl
    www.chilled-pc.co.uk
    www.watercoolinguk.co.uk
    www.aquatuning.com
    www.sidewindercomputers.com

most of those sites sell starter kits if thats what your into and I would also recommend go onto www.xtremesystems.org and view some of the builds and check the parts being used.

In my system I'm cooling my GFX, processor, custom built NB and SB block, mosfets dual loop system using a feser 1x480 Rad and swiftech 1x 240 rad and two mcp355 pumps, ek spinner bay reservoir and a EK 150 tube reservoir, tygon 3/8 1/2od tubing all bitspower fittings.

Here's a pic of my current i7 @ 4.2Ghz setup which is getting re-homed on monday in a new case.

something like the above will set you back by around 650Euro's alone(bitspower fittings cost a fortune)
    whereas the start kits from swiftech will set you back by 200Euro's for a pump,res,rad,tube and a cpu block. and they will do the exact same job for a fraction of the price compared to a solution built using various parts ect.
    But thing about custom sets is quality and flow and less restrictive due to the parts that most use, but a big factor is price it will cost you alot more!

CPU blocks range in price from 40E up to 100E
    GFX blocks range from 70 up to 120E
    NB+SB blocks will set you back around 110 or custom ones around 200
    Mosfet blocks around 40E
    Rads depending on size 30E upwards
    Pumps 50E upwards

Avoid anything that has Thermaltake written on it do a google on there watercooling parts and you will see why.
    tnx a lot. one more question pls. how much did you charged for (international?) shipping charge?

Hosso wrote: »
    tnx a lot. one more question pls. how much did you charged for (international?) shipping charge?

I paid around 200 Dollars for them and think it was 50Dollars for the shipping.

Advertisement