Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with repairs in Atlantic Homecare

Options
  • 07-12-2009 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,
    Im having a bit of a problem with these guys in Blanch and just wondering if anyone can help. I bought a power washer from them which I had to bring back about 4 or 5 weeks later as it stopped working properly. I wanted a full refund or relacement but could not get this so settled for repair which would take approximatly 5-6 weeks. They gave me a photocopy of a repair docket, which I have since lost(pretty stupid i know).
    Anyway 5 weeks pass so I decide to ring them and after being fobbed off a few time I finally speak to their store manager who tells me in a very rude manner that they have checked their records and rang the manufacturer and have no record of anything being sent for repair so they cant do anything for me. Needless to say I am not too happy about this as I assumed as they took the item they are responsible for keeping track of what happens to it. Any taughts on were to go from here would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 dumac

One possible option is to take them to the Small Claims Court. It's pretty straight forward, see the NCA's guide - http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Get_Your_Rights/Going_To_Court_Guide/

You can take the case yourself (no lawyer needed, it costs €15) and look for the total cost of the purchase. I'm no lawyer, but I think the big problem is that you may need some evidence that you gave the thing to them to repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

They are notorious for this. They could have 4 or 5 docket books in use at any one time. Even at that often they just fill it in and leave it expecting someone else to process the repair for them. I have first hand experience of a lot of this and it is a terrible system. Keep the pressure on, did you get the managers name? Do you remember who took the item in for you? Or even a day it was taken in so they can check their records and see who was on the desk that day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

I had this with woodies in newbridge (same comapny as Atlantic) with a karcher washer though I still had my docket.

It was karcher washer -

Story 1 - docket fell off the washer.
    Story 2 - Karcher are witing for a part
    Story 3 - washer was sent to 3rd party for repair
    Story 4 - Karcher can't find the washer
    Story 5 - Washer has arrived and can be picked up
    Story 6 - No -one called you. Washer has not been sent back by Karcher.
    Story 7 - Karcher can't find the washer. - Finally offered another washer. No Thanks I'll take a refund as I won't buy a Karcher again!

Now I will say, for the most part, the staff in woodies were very nice about it and as it was dropped in last Jauary there was no real urgency on getting it back, but by mid April, it was getting to a joke stage, but at least they understood why i wouldn't take another Karcher.

The fault? - It needed a replacement inlet valve connector. I could have done it myself in 5 mins if I had the part!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 stu1.8t

cheers guys,
    Mine was a Karcher as well. Wont be getting that on again.
    Gonna visit them today and see If I can recognize who I gave it to.
    Let you know how I get on.

mcaul wrote: »
    I had this with woodies in newbridge (same comapny as Atlantic) with a karcher washer though I still had my docket.

It was karcher washer -

Story 1 - docket fell off the washer.
    Story 2 - Karcher are witing for a part
    Story 3 - washer was sent to 3rd party for repair
    Story 4 - Karcher can't find the washer
    Story 5 - Washer has arrived and can be picked up
    Story 6 - No -one called you. Washer has not been sent back by Karcher.
    Story 7 - Karcher can't find the washer. - Finally offered another washer. No Thanks I'll take a refund as I won't buy a Karcher again!

Now I will say, for the most part, the staff in woodies were very nice about it and as it was dropped in last Jauary there was no real urgency on getting it back, but by mid April, it was getting to a joke stage, but at least they understood why i wouldn't take another Karcher.

The fault? - It needed a replacement inlet valve connector. I could have done it myself in 5 mins if I had the part!

Typical. I worked in atlantic myself a few years back part time and the situation with repairs irritated me so much I set up a sustem where I had control over all repairs, I had an area within the shop where they were to be put whilst I was off and first thing I did when I came in was to go there and make a list of everything, I had a seperate book for repairs that had to be filled in along with the dockets, now it wasnt always but because of the system I did not have one repair go missing and was able to trace each item to a docket (eventually).

I found the staff didnt really care abotu what happened, they filled in the docket and assumed someone else would do the rest, items for repair would be found all over the store with nobody knowing what belonged to whom and all the time there would be arguments with customers. Of course they are nice and polite when they realise theyve made a mistake, they dont want you to complain about them after all but it really is a disgrace and I would be more inclined to ask people to bring items direct to the supplier now I am not working there, the supplier turnaround is generally only a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 stu1.8t

OK, just back from Atlantic were I spoke to the store manager, who turns out is the person I dealt with in the first place,

What she told me was "I do remember you coming in but for all I know we gave you a refund or replacement". Of course at the time this was absoloutly out of the question.

Then she proceded to tell me that even if they did have a washer out the back with my docket on it they still wouldnt give it to me as I dont have a copy of the docket myself.

Eventually she just turned around and literally walked away from me.

Didnt think it was possible to receive such bad customer service in this day and age. Live and learn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Ring Head Office about it. 01 452 1353. Find out who the area manager is in that particular area and guaranteed he/she will sort it for you when you contact them and/or relay the story as outlined above - if the story happened the way you've described it here, once it reaches an area managers ears heads will roll.

Definitely ring the head office and ask for the area manager, Ronan was the first name of the one whilst I was there as far as I recall and a lovely man too. I doubt there would be any fall back on the manager to be honest, I was often shocked at the behaviour of managers even whilst I worked there, especially with a history in management myself before I had kids I often found myself apologising for them.

Advertisement