Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling forum smokers to cease smoking in 2010

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

How about a treat for outselves when we succeed?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭hynesie

At what point is it a success?
    We can only really be sure it's a success after the smokers have died, at which point there's no need for a treat.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

hynesie wrote: »
    We can only really be sure it's a success after the smokers have died, at which point there's no need for a treat.

Sean Kelly would be a good time to gauge success.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,418 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

hynesie wrote: »
    I think we strictly need to await the outcome of the post-mortem for confirmation (or otherwise) that smoking did not contribute to the death

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

el tonto wrote: »
    Allen Carr is pretty good I found. Generally anything that treats smoking for what it is, an addiction, is usually pretty useful reading. I actually found things that dealt with addictions to stronger drugs quite interesting to read too.
    My mother stopped smoking after reading this book, cold turkey at the age of 49 ( she started at 16 ). It's been 3 years now. She said the book made complete sense.

I wish Allen Carr had written a book about chocolate addiction ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

Sean Kelly would be a good time to gauge success.

Lets all meet up there and have a fag pint.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

1. Captain Havoc
    2 *cough*The Tax man*cough*
    3. McTigs
    4. thebouldwhacker
    5. papac
    6. Paulyh
    7. weaselman

Any more takers? Have people picked a quit date yet?

@taxman... how are you getting on?

This is what I got myself ater being off them a few months last year...
    TK_2009_1.2_carerra_blue.jpg&usg=AFQjCNGFSBj8Q4KYJ656D33WasgDSCA4uQ

Have people picked a quit date yet?
    29th Dec.
    I know from experience that I am a grouch for the first few days so I have arranged a break from family around then.I am actually looking forward to it.

Bump.
    Finished Alan Carr. Can't wait til 29th. Going for it on Sunday 27th. Anybody else set a date.??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paddyduc

After a couple of attempts i finally quit in 2005. One thing i noticed this time is i always looked forward from the first day, i never counted how long i was "off the fags" cause it doesn't really matter how long your off them when yer never going to smoke again. I went down to my local honda dealer and bought myself a brand new fireblade for 15k and promised myself i'd burn it if i ever smoked.It's actually not that hard to do once you get in the right frame of mind.

Best of luck to all the quitters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 cdonnelly

Just came on this thread and I hope to quit in the new year so add me to your list.
    I am going to try those pen type thingies what are you guys using

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Dave11

I used to be a 20 a day man back in 2005 and just got fed up one with all the coughing etc and knocked it on the head. Never touched another one. It is tough lads but it can be done so best of luck to you all!! I just worked out on the Quitometer that I have saved €13,000 by quiting!!! :)

I'm knocking the booze on the head in 2010 and really getting stuck into the training so hopefully it'll be a good year!!

Anyhow... Best of luck to ye all!!

Quitometer that I have saved €13,000 by quiting!!! smile.gif

Wow. Think of all the bike bling I could buy with that. Thanks.

Going for it later today.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

And that's just from quitting cigarettes. For example, those planning on putting the crack pipe down in the new year stand to save so much more cash.

I find the crack helps my TT times.I'd be reluctant to give it up.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,418 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Dave11 wrote: »
    I just worked out on the Quitometer that I have saved €13,000 by quiting!!!

Good news for us non-smokers also. I reckon the amount I have saved because I have never smoked 20 cigs a day (since it was legal for me to smoke and at present day prices) is well over €60k. Another excuse for my complusive spending on bike gear:)

Of course, if I assumed I could have smoked 40 a day, the savings would be twice as much:):)

When do Wiggle start their New Year Sale?

Good news for us non-smokers also.

I doff my proverbial hat to your logic sir. This means that because I have never been a heroin addict I can now spend 200 euros a day on bike gear. Oh joy!

papac wrote: »
    I doff my proverbial hat to your logic sir. This means that because I have never been a heroin addict I can now spend 200 euros a day on bike gear. Oh joy!
    I can be very selective with my logic, when it suits!

• Advertisement

You'd get along well with my wife then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

Best of luck to every one of you :)

Here's someone who got on his bike and off the ciggies:

http://100poundsago.wordpress.com/2009/12/24/let-the-beatings-continue/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

cdonnelly wrote: »
    Just came on this thread and I hope to quit in the new year so add me to your list.
    I am going to try those pen type thingies what are you guys using

I'm using an e-cig. Great little gizmo which works for me. Takes a while to get used to one and to train the mind to accept this device as your source of a nicotine hit. I find it so good now,I had stocked up on an eight week supply of patches, I used them for six days.
    papac wrote: »
    Going for it later today.

Best of luck papac.

I started early and couldn't go through another Christmas smoking and then trying to quit in the new year.
    Smoke free:Two weeks, five days, 12 hours, 5 minutes and 54 seconds. 429 cigarettes not smoked, saving €181.07. Life saved: 1 day, 11 hours, 45 minutes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Beasty wrote: »

Just like buying something with 50% off and with this 50% off you pay the other 50% therefore costing you nothing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

I hope everyone is sticking to their guns and quitting like they said they would.
    You've a few hours left to cram as many as you can in.:D
    mouth-full-of-cigarettes.jpg
    Best of luck to all going for it.
    I'm smoke free 3 weeks now,haven't used a patch since the day after the Boards beers. E-cig keeping me going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

100388.jpg

Soul mates! Best of luck to everybody

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

sy wrote: »
    100388.jpg

Soul mates! Best of luck to everybody

I think those kind of photos are just class... god knows what was in their bottles !!!........Powerbar/High 5 ....I dont think so..!!!

10.jpg

Anyway, I don't belong here as I don't smoke

So who's on the wagon and how are ye getting on? I'm on day two (as planned;)) woke up this morning, took a deep breath, and was able to:)

I'm going cold turkey which is grand, I'm giving myself one week where I can eat anything I want, in fact I can have anything I want (within reason) to combat cravings.... bar a smoke

How did new years go taxman, are you finding much of a physical difference?

• Advertisement

Yeah, I went the same as you, after this weekend. I had four or five on Saturday. I've been building up to this for a while so I'm OK, I haven't had sneaky one this year but I'll be laying off the booze for a few weeks to give myself a chance.

Advertisement