Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law and Accounting Year 2

Options
  • 07-12-2009 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hey everyone I'm a 1st year doing Law and Accounting and was looking about to get some information about the modules in year two - specifically tort law and law of European institutions. I heard off one of my friends that you have to do mooting or something as part of the assessment for two (could be wrong) If anyone here is currently in 2nd year could they fill me in on the assessment plan for both as I'm totally clueless :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Christ, watch all the laccys coming out of the closet :P

Law of Euro: The single most boring bane of my life module I've ever had the displeasure of doing. It is reams and reams of legislation and tangly EU caselaw. Fair play to Dr Conlon, she's very passionate about her subject but it's so hard to be enthuasiastic about it. It's a 90% exam with 10% for tutorial attendance.

Tort: Eoin Quill, Torts in Ireland, out now buy now! In all good bookstores and some rubbish ones too. Tort is very interesting and it's nice to only have a 50% law exam at the end for a change. The other 50% is for mooting. It's basically a mock trial - you prepare as defendants, plaintiffs or bench. There are no marks for the trial presentation itself, its solely on the case you prepare. So in essence it's like a team project on a Law subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mruniverse2010

thanks for the info..they seem really handy altogether..With the law modules, is it 90% for all regarding tutorial attendance because i downloaded the course outlines on sharepoint and with Law of Euro it says no marks are awarded for tutorial attendance but it is recommended to go...And yes it sounds like the most boring module to ever grace the Law & Acc syllabus!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 FireFly09

Hello current 2nd yr laccy!

EU law has changed for us this yr, 100% exam. thank god!! the tutorials are absolutely USELESS! EU isnt too bad, the Hartley book is the easiest to read, Craig and de Burca is great but quite big! and if u can get a hold of an EU Nutshell plus read the articles she tells you to and you're sorted!

Tort; Mooting is like min court except you read directly from the sheets you have prepared for it, so unless you're against somebody REALLY enthusiastic about Tort, you won't have to rebut or anything. it's literally just writing an essay and reading it out. then in week 12 you have to submit the essay and that's worth 50%. then the tort written exam is only 1 question and he gives you the fact sheet in week 12 so there's no suprises. I wouldn't recommend buying Quill's book, I'd get it from the library and buy a nutshell and then read some articles(he'll suggest them on lec slides).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 FireFly09

Advertisement