Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blocking an email

• 07-12-2009 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭

Hey people,

I use google mail and I want to block my self from sending an email to a certain address. Now, i will let you use your imagination as to why, late at night i want to prevent myself sending an email to this address.

I have the google gadget that makes me do sums to see if i am sober enough (dont usually drink but i had a damn bad night last Saturday and made a fool of myself) but i can get past that too easily.

I want to block me sending to this address completely.

Any help would be great,

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Step one, pick up laptop
    Step two, drop laptop from a great height.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Komplett: Marc

I know it might sound a bit low-fi but I just remove those addresses from my contact list...

If you have a REALLY good night out, you might forget the address permanently ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

Ah the Auld' drunken Email. I too have fallen victim to this...Several times

The only thing i could do was delete the contact, and all emails from the person and hope that you cant remember the email address off heart. But im sure there probably is some way to do it. Hopefully someone here will let us both know ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Ah the Auld' drunken Email. I too have fallen victim to this...Several times

hope that you cant remember the email address off heart. But im sure there peobably is some way to do it. Hopefully someone here will let us both know ;)

There in lies the problem, i dont think i will ever forget the email address.

Caoimhín wrote: »
    There in lies the problem, i dont think i will ever forget the email address.

Two words.

"Vegas BABY!!!!!!!!!!!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Install willpower

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Naw you can't block yourself from sending an email to someone. I mean, why would Google implement such a thing.
    "Hey, we've got a lot of requests from drunks with no self-control to block them sending emails to ex's sobbing like children, begging for forgiveness and looking for a ride"
    "How many requests?"
    "8 Million"
    "Whoh, that's badly needed then"

Next time you're pissed and thinking about sending an email, read this thread.

Useful advice there lads.

Any serious answers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I need a Java app to lock my phone while drinking. Started texting people at 2:30AM on sat, didnt even remember when I got given out to today.

If you used a mail client you could change your password to an random series, then input it into the mail client. That would limit you to accessing it from there(hide a copy of the pass somewhere you cant get it). Then you could block the ports used by the mail client at certain times. Wouldnt be easy I'd say but should be do-able.

Just leave a large pie near the computer, you'll be asleep before you can get to sending emails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

• Advertisement

I tried that, the sums are too easy with a calculator at hand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

system32/calc.exe

Delete that for a start, deatroy your mobile phone, and hope all the alcohol has killed your ability to solve simple maths problems.

Baring that im shit out of ideas.

Anything that you put on the system you will be able to take off. Otherwise its the worst app in the world. And there lies the problem.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

My serious answer hat. Ask a friend you trust and let him change your password every weekend until the urge is gone.

Anything that you put on the system you will be able to take off. Otherwise its the worst app in the world. And there lies the problem.

Im not so sure if i follow. Do you mean if i delete something it is gone forever off the PC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Im not so sure if i follow. Do you mean if i delete something it is gone forever off the PC?
    No, he means that any preventative measures you put in place you will be able to get around them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

Just thinking, with custom rules in outlook could they be taken across to Gmail? But i think as CW said, anything you do put on you can easilly take back off. Sadly i think this is all down to self control :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Any chance you could get into or get someone to log into "their" account and add you to the deny / blacklist?

I doupt they would notice....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Write a greasemonkey script that appends random characters to form input between the hours of 00.00 and 07.00?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

I tried that, the sums are too easy with a calculator at hand...

Interesting thread. It was only the Saturday just passed that I sent a ridiculous drunken message to an ex, thankfully it was ignored and hopefully soon forgotten by all involved. I wasn't aware of this mathematics feature but obviously it's easily by-passed. Simple equations won't stop a determined drunk. Still the point of it is it makes you think twice about sending the message, or at least gives you time to think. Everything for a reason, and even if I'm hammered I will still wonder what the reason for these annoying sums is. Oh yeah, protect me from myself. Result.. ;)

• Advertisement

Tallon wrote: »
    Any chance you could get into or get someone to log into "their" account and add you to the deny / blacklist?

I was just think something like that. Say Friday at 8.30pm until 7.00am, same on Saturday night.
    And I mean logging on the laptop entirely, not even letting me log in (no other users...)
    Can this be done?

K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

This might be a completely crazy idea, but, you could..I dont know..Drink less?

Actually scratch that, thats an awful idea :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Send one final email (during the day time) to the person in question politely asking them to add your address to their block list. If they oblige, you know the emails won't be read so you won't bother typing them. If they don't oblige, it'll be more incentive to not email.

edit: Wonder has there ever been a PI/Computers&Tech cross over before :P

Advertisement