Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats in other people's gardens

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

T-Square wrote: »
    Where should cats do their business?

The whole "house" cat thing, that's the minority.

Most people have cats that come and go as the cat pleases.

Cats are generally smart enough to use a human toilet when pressed,
    but when out and about cats can use the coin operated toilets,

COS CATS DON'T HAVE ANY FOOKIN POCKETS!

:D

they could do what my other half does, carry a purse?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

I think cats should have the keys to the kingdom.

The kill vermin, and nobody seems to appreciate that.

Get rid of the cats and you'll be up to your eyes with mice/rats.

As for cats getting into the OPs garden.

It doesn't make any sense, cats don't go into gardens where they know dogs to live. And while a cat may appear to be antagonising your dogs, the cat is simply using the fence/wall as a walkway. Fences are like the M50 is to us.

Either way, folks, try not to get too upset about a little cat poo that rots into the ground in a matter of hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

It doesn't make any sense, cats don't go into gardens where they know dogs to live.
    To quote yourself, I'll call BS on that.
    Because I have seen cats willingly go into gardens with dogs, sometimes just to taunt them.
    T-Square wrote:
    Either way, folks, try not to get too upset about a little cat poo that rots into the ground in a matter of hours.
    Have you ever seen poo disappear in a matter of hours? It must be magical poo.

The kill vermin, and nobody seems to appreciate that.

Get rid of the cats and you'll be up to your eyes with mice/rats.

luckily i am bored in work so ... if you read the previous posts you would note this had already been discussed, and both dogs and cats are adept at getting rid of vermin, and some dogs are better at it than some cats

It doesn't make any sense, cats don't go into gardens where they know dogs to live. And while a cat may appear to be antagonising your dogs, the cat is simply using the fence/wall as a walkway. Fences are like the M50 is to us.

FYI - you need a licence to drive a car on the M50 - you got one for your cat? maybe i should set a toll station up on my fences/walls :D
    i don't to be honest, but let me know where ya live and i'll pop round with my dogs poop and bury it in yer garden if you like? after all it's that magic poop that dissapears in a few hours

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

PCros wrote: »
    So why didn't you start a fair thread about "cats and dogs in other peoples gardens"?

Because it is against the law to allow your dog to wander. If a dog decided my garden was the place to have a shít I could call the dog warden and have it dealt with (I live in the UK but the same applies in Ireland.) If a cat decides my garden is it's own personal litter box there is fuçk all I can do.

When the cats attacked my dogs there was nothing I could do, but if my dog attacked the cat I would get in trouble. I can not allow my dog to roam (not that I would if it was legal because it would be beyond stupid as it's so dangerous) but a cat owner can open their door, let their cat out and they are completely and utterly devoid of responsibility for the cats actions.

I'm honestly shocked by the attitudes of some of the cat owners on here. They seem to be completely clueless about the damages inflicted by cats and willfully so. They refuse to take any responsibility for the cats. It sounds as if they just want a low maintenance pet and aren't actually that interested in what can actually, and should actually, be done with cats. Some very clearly clued up cat owners have posted about how they have trained their cats and how possible it is, but there is a torrent of deaf ears being turned to their posts.

But lets get it straight. Cats cause damage. They kill livestock and yes chickens are livestock. They can and do attack people and other animals. They soil people's property and damage their cars. They trespass in people's gardens and houses. They are one of the biggest killers of indigenous birds some of whom are heading for extinction. They are a nuisance and other people, including many cat owners, are put out and annoyed to varying degrees by them.

Even worse, from the owners standpoint, they are not safe when they roam. Their lifespan is reduced by 75-80% on average. That is 20 years you could spend with your surely beloved pet that you are willing to lose out on. They are poisoned, run over, shot, injured by cat haters. They are made sick by well meaning people who feed them unsuitable foods. They get in fights and are injured by dogs and other cats. They often die, frightened, hurt and alone in a ditch or on the side of the road. I don't like cats, but I hate the thought of any animal that loves and is loved dying in such awful circumstances, it really upsets me. Why would anyone who loves their pet risk this happening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I honestly think that you are exaggerating and being alarmist.

And this post is way out of proportion and cannot be taken seriously.

Over and out...REALLY!
    iguana wrote: »
    Because it is against the law to allow your dog to wander. If a dog decided my garden was the place to have a shít I could call the dog warden and have it dealt with (I live in the UK but the same applies in Ireland.) If a cat decides my garden is it's own personal litter box there is fuçk all I can do.

When the cats attacked my dogs there was nothing I could do, but if my dog attacked the cat I would get in trouble. I can not allow my dog to roam (not that I would if it was legal because it would be beyond stupid as it's so dangerous) but a cat owner can open their door, let their cat out and they are completely and utterly devoid of responsibility for the cats actions.

I'm honestly shocked by the attitudes of some of the cat owners on here. They seem to be completely clueless about the damages inflicted by cats and willfully so. They refuse to take any responsibility for the cats. It sounds as if they just want a low maintenance and aren't actually that interested in what can actually, and should actually, be done with cats. Some very clearly clued up cat owners have posted about how they have trained their cats and how possible it is, but there is a torrent of deaf ears being turned to their posts.

But lets get it straight. Cats cause damage. They kill livestock and yes chickens are livestock. They can and do attack people and other animals. They soil people's property and damage their cars. They trespass in people's gardens and houses. They are one of the biggest killers of indigenous birds some of who are heading for extinction. They are a nuisance and other people, including many cat owners, are put out and annoyed to varying degrees by them.

Even worse, from the owners standpoint, they are not safe when they roam. Their lifespan is reduced by 75-80% on average. That is 20 years you could spend with your surely beloved pet that you are willing to lose out on. They are poisoned, run over, shot, injured by cat haters. They are made sick by well meaning people who feed them unsuitable foods. They get in fights and are injured by dogs and other cats. They often die, frightened, hurt and alone in a ditch or on the side of the road. I don't like cats, but I hate the thought of any animal that loves and is loved dying in such awful circumstances upsets me. Why would anyone who loves their pet risk this happening?

OK quick question to the cat owners out there - do you feel responsible for your cats "business" in other peoples gardens? ye or ne? i.e. if your cat pooped in the neighbours garden and the neighbour asked you to clean it up would you?

if it happened, yes of course.

Although it might depend on how the person asked the question of course.. Not sure I would brave the OP.....

And of course I would need absolute and unequivocal proof that the cat in question was mine. No circumstantial or hearsay evidence allowed.;)
    Paul91 wrote: »
    OK quick question to the cat owners out there - do you feel responsible for your cats "business" in other peoples gardens? ye or ne? i.e. if your cat pooped in the neighbours garden and the neighbour asked you to clean it up would you?

Graces7 wrote: »
    I honestly think that you are exaggerating and being alarmist.

And this post is way out of proportion and cannot be taken seriously.

Over and out...REALLY!

What exactly do you dispute? I have answered every question you had so far and provided links to back up my claims. I can provide more if there is a specific thing you are interested in, or you could look for it for yourself. You've already found the shooting thread. So you know people shoot cats and some even take pleasure in it.

But you prefer to ignore facts that you don't like, which just goes to prove my point about willful ignorance. You frankly don't care what your cat gets up to when you let it out so as soon as people point out what they know can happen you prefer to ignore it. People used to do the same about dogs. I'm old enough to remember the old cartoon ad of roaming dogs attacking sheep, the uproar when dog wardens were introduced and the ridicule which poop and scoop bins were treated to. But the fact is roaming dogs are a problem and the law changed, roaming cats are also a problem and the law will change about that too eventually.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Well, i think cat owners are completely irresponsible.

If i knew where the two cats who have destroyed the paint work on my lived, i would be down sharpish to their owners with a bill for the re-spray job and also a bill for the damage done to my garden. E150 worth of plants destroyed in a week from stupid cats pis.sing and sh.iting all over them, digging them up, walking on them.

i have tried every form to keep them out and nothing works. they have now also discovered how to get into my shed, it smells digusting but sure then stench in the garden covers it.

my back garden is now a no go area, i cant use it anymore because of the smell and the ****.e.

i absolutely hate them and it is not fair that i have to put up with them in my house. they sit on the window sill looking in at my and wont budge if i bang the window.

i feel i am being terrorised by cats and everyone just say, "sure they are only cats", if i had a dog terrorising people i wouldnt be long hearing about it

• Advertisement

if it happened, yes of course.

Although it might depend on how the person asked the question of course..

so guessing if they was rude about it ya wouldn't - see that's the thing, as a dog owner it don't matter if someone f's and blinds at you - you have to clear it up - by law
    Not sure I would brave the OP.....

:eek:

What a farrago.

Do you feel better now?

=iguana;63494285]What exactly do you dispute? I have answered every question you had so far and provided links to back up my claims. I can provide more if there is a specific thing you are interested in, or you could look for it for yourself. You've already found the shooting thread. So you know people shoot cats and some even take pleasure in it.

But you prefer to ignore facts that you don't like, which just goes to prove my point about willful ignorance. You frankly don't care what your cat gets up to when you let it out so as soon as people point out what they know can happen you prefer to ignore it. People used to do the same about dogs. I'm old enough to remember the old cartoon ad of roaming dogs attacking sheep, the uproar when dog wardens were introduced and the ridicule which poop and scoop bins were treated to. But the fact is roaming dogs are a problem and the law changed, roaming cats are also a problem and the law will change about that too eventually.[/quote]

;)

Courtesy costs nothing.... And the law is as the law is.

And if anyone ranted and swore at me? There are always ASBOs these days.
    so guessing if they was rude about it ya wouldn't - see that's the thing, as a dog owner it don't matter if someone f's and blinds at you - you have to clear it up - by law

What a farrago.

i had to look that up :D
    farrago [fəˈrɑːgəʊ]
    n pl -gos, -goes a hotchpotch

What a farrago.

Do you feel better now?

I have no idea what that is meant to mean.

In common idiom it means a great hooha and a noisy fuss.
    i had to look that up :D

In common idiom it means a great hooha and a noisy fuss.

No it doesn't. Farrago means assortment or medley. That makes no sense in the context you used it in.

And as I've said your willful ignorance on the problems your pet could be causing just goes to prove my point. You don't want your cat to be causing any problems so you choose to ignore the possible problems it could be causing. It's extremely irresponsible and no wonder with attitudes like that, that cats and cat owners are so often vilified. And a great pity for the animals and responsible owners.

a few cat attack stories - just cos i was interested in the prevalence

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Cat-Training-Behavior-3489/occational-attacks-children.htm
    i have a 1yr. old tom cat. he has not been fixed or declawed. he is the sweetest and most loveable cat i have ever been around in my life. i am is favorite. he talks to me sleeps with me, even stays in the bathroom with me when i am in the shower. he has never been affraid of people. our friends even joke that he acts more like a dog than a cat! he always wants everyone to pet him. But, out of nowhere he started attacking my children. they can be walking down the hall, walk in front of him or be outside playing even petting him and his eyes will get real big and his ears go back and he leaps on them. the scatches and bites are unbelieveable. three weeks ago we had to take my 8yr. old girl (his 2nd favorite person) to the emergency room. the dr. said he had never seen a cat attack this bad. the cut on her head was so deep i had to hold it shut on the way to the hospital. that day he was outside. she was on the porch. he come out of nowhere and attacked her head. she had stitches on her eyebrow, ear and head. not to metion all the other deep scratches. he may do this at anytime no warning other than what my kids call a bad mood. he has done this to a few adults not as servere. i am at my wits end because i have never been a cat person and my daughter begged for a cat until my husband finally give in. i have never in my life loved an animal as much as i do him. my children are scared to dealth of him. they will not go anywhere in the house alone. if it wasn't for the fact that me and my daughter are so crazy about him, my husband would have done killed him. please help!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11769682/ns/world_news-weird_news/
    Margo Dawson says her family had no choice but to shoot a cat that was "hissing and growling" after another feline in the house attacked her 16-month-old granddaughter.
    "The cat just jumped on top of her head and wouldn't let go," Dawson said Thursday. "I screamed and kicked the cat in the butt to get it away.
    "Emma was hysterical. She had cuts on her ears and the back of her head."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1218951/Beware-er-cat-Postmen-threaten-boycott-house-menacing-Magic.html
    Postmen have threatened to stop delivering mail to a couple because they are frightened of being attacked by their pet cat.
    Delivery staff say they have been mauled by Magic the cat so often they are set to blacklist the fearsome feline's owners.
    They claim dropping post through the letterbox makes the three-year-old feline burst from his cat-flap and launch an attack.
    Royal Mail's local delivery manager Peter Floyd visited Magic's shocked owners Sam Enan-McKinnon and her husband Tariq, from Somerset, to warn they face being cut off.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-402782/Meet-Grumpy--nastiest-cat-earth.html
    The pet cat, who has been named Grumpy because of his exploits, started entering all the cat flaps on one street in the search for food.
    He would make each house his own and would scare off the cats who lived in each of the houses.
    And when the surprised owners returned home, Grumpy leapt through the air at them, hissing at them and scratching their hands and arms.
    His antics in a small leafy street in Swindon, Wiltshire, have been described as a 'four-month reign of terror' by neighbours, who finally caught the cat and put it in a cage this week.

don't worry - i know there are plenty of dog attack stories unfortunatly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

I hate cyclists and women drivers. They interfere with my wellbeing and comfort on a daily basis. I'd love to have them all rounded up and shot, or at least made illegal, but that would be an over the top reaction to what is a relatively mild inconvenience in my life.

Most of the damage suggested here is probably caused by stray cats living wild. There is a huge problem with unspayed cats breeding in the wild. Responsible owners spay their cats, which stops overbreeding, and tends to calm the animals down. If stray cats could be rounded up, it would make a big difference, but who is going to do that?

There is too much hysteria on this thread. Really, there are hundreds of thousands of cats wandering around, some have conscientious owners, some are strays. The amount of damage they cause is negligable. If you have a particular problem, then sort it out with the owner, or if it's a stray, bring the cat in to the DSPCA. Don't expect them to come out and do it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭cianer

I guess myself and hubby must be imagining the cat in the garden every day then.... :D

I think you'll find most cats do more than appear to antagonise dogs. Last house I lived in a cat used to sit in my drive way and walk up and down past the side fence driving the dogs mental. Another dog owner I know had a cat that used sit on the top of the dog runs that contained rotties, and would dangle it's tail into the run and whip it up at the last second as the rottie jumped for it. Until the day it didn't get it up in time....... Very sticky ending for the cat.

I'd love to see this magic poo that rots away in a matter of hours too. So does that mean if I teach my dogs to bury their poo, they can poo in your garden? Would you be cool with that? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

sambuka41 wrote: »
    I have said already in this thread that i would love to keep my guy indoors but i cannot undo generations of instinct in a few weeks, i would if i could.

You can.

I own five indoor cats, all of whom are rescues, and who get occasional restricted access to my fully fenced yard, and who will get free access to that yard when I install fully cat-proof the top of the fence.

Of the five cats I own, one was feral from birth and had no human contact up to six months of age. One of the other four was an outdoor cat for two years.

I work with cat rescue and have fostered cats and I can tell you categorically that the biggest problem in changing cat behaviour is inconsistent humans.

You start with good intentions. The going gets tough. You feel sorry for the cat because of excessive vocalisation, and start reading human emotions in the cat's disposition. This makes you feel guilty. You crumble and start to allow the cat to occasionally do the things you were trying to stop it doing. In doing this, you totally confuse and upset the cat, and the situation worsens considerably. You take this as evidence that the cat was not happy, and you discontinue your efforts.

This applies through all cat behavioural problems - peeing and pooing in the house in areas other than the litter tray; climbing on things you'd rather they weren't on, destroying furniture, excessive vocalisation. It's a pity, because those are all reasons cats end up in shelters - because their owners buy into the idea that you can't change cat behaviour or cats are untrainable. They're not, but they get destroyed by their thousands in the pounds because their owners think they are.

(There's also an extent to which you change your own behaviour. A woman surrendered her three year old siamese to the pound, and a local no-kill shelter rescued him at the 11th hour. The owner surrendered him because he persistently pissed on the pillows of her bed. The no-kill shelter manager thought he was a beautiful cat, and was so annoyed at the reason for surrender she phoned up the owner and asked "Did he pee anywhere else in your house? No? ...then why didn't you just keep your bedroom door shut?")

Just one last thing: I'm not trying to attack anyone's care of their pet. The most important thing for me in cat rescue is to know that the person is looking after the pet to the very best of their ability, in a way that fits with their lifestyle, their location and their finances, but also that the person will step up that care if they are able because their location, lifestyle or finances change. E.g. if you're flat broke and feeding the cat sachets of supermarket brand catfood, that's fine, but if you get a job and a raise or you win the lottery, I expect you to trade up to better quality food for the sake of the animal.

Same goes for cats inside and out, dogs walked for hours every day, so on. Recognise your limitations versus your pets' requirements, and either vow to step it up when you're able, or in extreme cases where the animal suffers then consider rehoming your pet to someone equipped to take better care of it than you can.

Let's put it this way - there's a homeless guy who feeds his terrier cross burgers every day because he has no money. The dog never gets wormed, but the homeless guy minds it in every other way he can and refuses to sleep in an overnight shelter because they won't let him bring the dog with him. The dog is like his shadow and responds to everything he asks of it. Currently, if it needs vet care, this will present a problem because the homeless guy will have to rely on charity care.

Then there are two business people who keep a couple of weimaraner crosses in their back garden and feed them royal canin. Both dogs are covered by pet insurance. The dogs are no longer allowed inside the house because the couple never had the time to train them and they chew everything. They are also not walked because they are poorly socialised and haul on the lead, and the couple claim there is a risk of injury to them being pulled off their feet, or the dogs attacking another dog. The business couple maintain the dogs are difficult because the breed is intelligent and highly spirited.

They are two extremes, but who do you really think is taking better care of their pet?

I aspire to take better care of my pets every day, educate myself about changes in information regarding their care and nutrition and figure out better ways to entertain them. That's the best I can do.

It means what I need it to mean simply.

And even with your limiting meaning it certainly makes sense here.

I am not taking your mail seriously or giving it any weight; read back to other mails and you may see why.

probably not though..

Such wild accusations have no merit.

quote=iguana;63494711]No it doesn't. Farrago means assortment or medley. That makes no sense in the context you used it in.

And as I've said your willful ignorance on the problems your pet could be causing just goes to prove my point. You don't want your cat to be causing any problems so you choose to ignore the possible problems it could be causing. It's extremely irresponsible and no wonder with attitudes like that, that cats and cat owners are so often vilified. And a great pity for the animals and responsible owners.[/quote]

Amen to much of this .....

Living in a very remote mountain area there are few hassles such as you have though. The rally driver practising on the narrow lanes was the exception and the gardai sorted him out.

And yes, all far too exaggerated. And OTT.

Cats are cats, bless them.

In a long long life I have known and cared for well into three figures. Only 3 times have I been injured. Twice it was separating fighting toms, and once when a man whose cat I had been feeding after he abandoned it, demanded I give it to some friends of his. They wanted it put in a box and cat thought differently.

And the cats include ferals.

We love our cats dearly and live of course where there are no neighbours etc. I would not keep a cat any more that I had to keep indoors. That is my choice made freely.

A choice we all and each have the right to make without the kind of aggro here.

Maybe the hot air here can be diverted to working to reduce the appalling stray and feral cat problem we have here in Ireland. Now that would be appropriate. And caring.

manye the W
    paddyland wrote: »
    I hate cyclists and women drivers. They interfere with my wellbeing and comfort on a daily basis. I'd love to have them all rounded up and shot, or at least made illegal, but that would be an over the top reaction to what is a relatively mild inconvenience in my life.

Most of the damage suggested here is probably caused by stray cats living wild. There is a huge problem with unspayed cats breeding in the wild. Responsible owners spay their cats, which stops overbreeding, and tends to calm the animals down. If stray cats could be rounded up, it would make a big difference, but who is going to do that?

There is too much hysteria on this thread. Really, there are hundreds of thousands of cats wandering around, some have conscientious owners, some are strays. The amount of damage they cause is negligable. If you have a particular problem, then sort it out with the owner, or if it's a stray, bring the cat in to the DSPCA. Don't expect them to come out and do it for you.

Nothing wrong with supermarket brand cat or dog food:) :)

We never feed processed stuff anyway.
    Just one last thing: I'm not trying to attack anyone's care of their pet. The most important thing for me in cat rescue is to know that the person is looking after the pet to the very best of their ability, in a way that fits with their lifestyle, their location and their finances, but also that the person will step up that care if they are able because their location, lifestyle or finances change. E.g. if you're flat broke and feeding the cat sachets of supermarket brand catfood, that's fine, but if you get a job and a raise or you win the lottery, I expect you to trade up to better quality food for the sake of the animal.

Same goes for cats inside and out, dogs walked for hours every day, so on. Recognise your limitations versus your pets' requirements, and either vow to step it up when you're able, or in extreme cases where the animal suffers then consider rehoming your pet to someone equipped to take better care of it than you can.

Let's put it this way - there's a homeless guy who feeds his terrier cross burgers every day because he has no money. The dog never gets wormed, but the homeless guy minds it in every other way he can and refuses to sleep in an overnight shelter because they won't let him bring the dog with him. The dog is like his shadow and responds to everything he asks of it. Currently, if it needs vet care, this will present a problem because the homeless guy will have to rely on charity care.

Then there are two business people who keep a couple of weimaraner crosses in their back garden and feed them royal canin. Both dogs are covered by pet insurance. The dogs are no longer allowed inside the house because the couple never had the time to train them and they chew everything. They are also not walked because they are poorly socialised and haul on the lead, and the couple claim there is a risk of injury to them being pulled off their feet, or the dogs attacking another dog. The business couple maintain the dogs are difficult because the breed is intelligent and highly spirited.

They are two extremes, but who do you really think is taking better care of their pet?

I aspire to take better care of my pets every day, educate myself about changes in information regarding their care and nutrition and figure out better ways to entertain them. That's the best I can do.

Not at all; but it is not the end of the world.

This is what cats tend to do.

One of ours teases the collie like that. Sits in the drive and when collie sees him, leaps over the fence and up a tree.

I knew a lady who had two cats. She kept them locked in a shed all day and night. To keep them safe.

No life for a cat.
    cianer wrote: »
    I guess myself and hubby must be imagining the cat in the garden every day then.... :D

I think you'll find most cats do more than appear to antagonise dogs. Last house I lived in a cat used to sit in my drive way and walk up and down past the side fence driving the dogs mental. Another dog owner I know had a cat that used sit on the top of the dog runs that contained rotties, and would dangle it's tail into the run and whip it up at the last second as the rottie jumped for it. Until the day it didn't get it up in time....... Very sticky ending for the cat.

I'd love to see this magic poo that rots away in a matter of hours too. So does that mean if I teach my dogs to bury their poo, they can poo in your garden? Would you be cool with that? :)

I knew a lady who had two cats. She kept them locked in a shed all day and night. To keep them safe.

Yeah, there's no telling what some stupid people will do.

Of course, there's just no equating "locked in a shed all day and night" with indoor cats, living at home and under foot, with their own beds, scratching poles, toys, food, water, litter trays and human interaction every day.

When we lived on an offshore island, one family had a cockerel that used to attack the postman... pecked his ankles something terrible it did!

She was an old islander and refused to spend money on neutering..

I have never used toys etc, even when I had indoor cats. Or scratching poles.

And interestingly, since we had outdoor cats, they live consistently longer.
    I realised that today.

When we came to Ireland, it was with the last three of the Siamese breeding stock; as we were even then so far away from roads and other houses, they were free to come and go from the start. And they used to follow me all in a line wherever I went. They all lived a long and very happy lifves, in excellent health.. After that we decided to take strays/rescues rather than buy pure breds.

Yeah, there's no telling what some stupid people will do.

Of course, there's just no equating "locked in a shed all day and night" with indoor cats, living at home and under foot, with their own beds, scratching poles, toys, food, water, litter trays and human interaction every day.

• Advertisement

Living in a very remote mountain area there are few hassles such as you have though.

but this is the key, you have no "close" neighbours, if you lived in a village/town/city and your cats where pooping in the neighbours garden and annoying theis dogs, would you still leave them to roam?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement