Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats in other people's gardens

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

paddyland wrote: »
    I hate cyclists and women drivers. They interfere with my wellbeing and comfort on a daily basis. I'd love to have them all rounded up and shot, or at least made illegal, but that would be an over the top reaction to what is a relatively mild inconvenience in my life.

I think you could ad learner drivers to the list, or ban them from driving in the rush hours?
    Most of the damage suggested here is probably caused by stray cats living wild. There is a huge problem with unspayed cats breeding in the wild. Responsible owners spay their cats, which stops overbreeding, and tends to calm the animals down. If stray cats could be rounded up, it would make a big difference, but who is going to do that?

There is too much hysteria on this thread. Really, there are hundreds of thousands of cats wandering around, some have conscientious owners, some are strays. The amount of damage they cause is negligable. If you have a particular problem, then sort it out with the owner, or if it's a stray, bring the cat in to the DSPCA. Don't expect them to come out and do it for you.

OK - last night i took my three puppies for their walk around the block, the neighbours cat (well kitten) was out "roaming" kept running up to the puppies and running around them and basicaly wanting a chase from what i could work out, obviously the puppies where on leads, so no chase, but there was pulling, now there is a lady in her 60's who got a German shepherd pup a while ago, she's about 6 months, what would of happened if the kitten was running around and wound up her puppy and she's been tripped up - sure it's not the cat's fault he's supposed to be roaming around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

Hi all, my Father breeds canaries for show. Over the last few years we have had cat "break-ins" to his very secure breeding shed. They have gotten under the eaves, through a plasterboard ceiling, and around or through chicken wire. When they actually get to the birds they go beserk. I had to clean up 20 decapitated canaries one morning when my dad was on holidays. Any cats that come into our garden are fair game, and a couple have met their end. I don't think anything can discourage them, we had a dog until recently but that didn't put them off, electronic devices and chemicals have all been tried. I wouldn't talk to the owners as if they are the sort of person to allow their cat roam free, they obviously can't be to worried about it's wellfare, and why start trouble. I feel killing cats that come in is justified, much like a farmer protecting his sheep from dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Im a dog person and I have 3 who are in a pen out the back when I'm in work. After my neighbours moved in, they got 2 cats (theyve 3 now as the cats werent spayed and they roam so 1 of them got preggers)
    my problem is one echoed through out this topic.....one of the poxy cat taunts my dogs by sitting on the fence over them or outside the dog run. Obviously, the dogs go ape $hit barking at this. Apart from that, they never make a noise. How is it fair on my other neighbours who have to listen to dogs barking and im not there to stop it? As far as theyre concerned, its my dogs being bold but its not. Im responsible, my dogs are excellently cared for and under control AT ALL TIMES. The rat from next door isn't. It's put outside and forgotten about. I have gone to the expense of making a dog enclosure, if cat owners are so adamant about how their cats NEED to be outside, why dont they feel the need to cat proof their boundaries to stop the cats getting out?
    Im not saying this to annoy anyone but in all honesty, fair is fair and ALL pet owners have a responsibility to stop their pets tresspassing, pooping on and damaging neighbours/public property. And i feel as strongly about this for cats and dogs, one rule for all pets....keep them in your garden/house away from others and even if their crap instantly vaporises, it's not fair to say cos its buried an inch under the surface of my flowerbed, its ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭cianer

adser53 wrote: »
    one rule for all pets....keep them in your garden/house away from others and even if their crap instantly vaporises, it's not fair to say cos its buried an inch under the surface of my flowerbed, its ok.

Well said.

Actually here's a question for everyone who figures it's no problem for a cat to poo anywhere it likes cos it buries it. If dogs were trained to bury their poo (very easily done), would you be ok with neighbourhood pet dogs burying poo in your garden? :confused: Genuine question - I'm interested in the answer.

Attitude to cats seems to swing between the fact that they're considered wildlife so shouldnt be contained or controlled, to saying that they're pets so shouldnt be mistreated under any circumstances as they're someone's beloved animal. I think this results in other people having to take matters of controlling roaming cats into their own hands to protect their property, livestock, prize canaries and the rest. Hardly a fair position for the cat owners to put their beloved cats in is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Graces7 wrote: »
    It means what I need it to mean simply.

That's not how words work. Words were created for communication, they have meanings which are universally understood so you can express your thoughts to someone else and they will understand. You can't just decide a word means whatever you decide it means and use it in that context despite it's actual meaning, nobody will have a clue what you are trying to say.

Though your attitude of "I'll do whatever I like despite the ramifications" does fit well with your attitude to cat ownership.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

Paul91 wrote: »
    OK - last night i took my three puppies for their walk around the block, the neighbours cat (well kitten) was out "roaming" kept running up to the puppies and running around them and basicaly wanting a chase from what i could work out, obviously the puppies where on leads, so no chase, but there was pulling, now there is a lady in her 60's who got a German shepherd pup a while ago, she's about 6 months, what would of happened if the kitten was running around and wound up her puppy and she's been tripped up - sure it's not the cat's fault he's supposed to be roaming around

Well yes, I mean the kitten could have run out and upset the dog, and the dog could have pulled the old lady out onto the road, and a bus might have been coming, and had to swerve, and hit the kerb, and bounce into the air, and land on the roof of a house, and burst into flames, spreading the length of the road, killing numerous people. And all because the cat was out wandering on his own. Cats are so dangerous.

Why dont we paint all the kerbs yellow and white too, they are dangerous. Why don't we ban people from having garden walls, you could walk into them and injure yourself. In fact, why don't we ban people from leaving home at all except under licence, as it's too easy to have an accident once you step outside your front door.

Be real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

Well yes, I mean the kitten could have run out and upset the dog, and the dog could have pulled the old lady out onto the road, and a bus might have been coming, and had to swerve, and hit the kerb, and bounce into the air, and land on the roof of a house, and burst into flames, spreading the length of the road, killing numerous people. And all because the cat was out wandering on his own. Cats are so dangerous.

Why dont we paint all the kerbs yellow and white too, they are dangerous. Why don't we ban people from having garden walls, you could walk into them and injure yourself. In fact, why don't we ban people from leaving home at all except under licence, as it's too easy to have an accident once you step outside your front door.

Be real.

or more simply the dog coul have tripped the old lady trying to get to the cat, she could fall and break her hip or hit her head, but hey like you say, maybe she shouldn't leave the house so that cats can roam free ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

cianer wrote: »
    Actually here's a question for everyone who figures it's no problem for a cat to poo anywhere it likes cos it buries it. If dogs were trained to bury their poo (very easily done), would you be ok with neighbourhood pet dogs burying poo in your garden? :confused: Genuine question - I'm interested in the answer.

If your dog poos in my garden, and it's in the way, I'll simply get a plastic bag and pick it up and bin it. Problem solved in two seconds flat. I've picked up worse things than dog poo.

Why do some people have to make a big drama out of nothing? You would seem to have a lot of frustration about something, and I'd say it's not cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Right - every please watch the sarcasm meter eh?
    As I said, people have a right to have a wee rant about something that's bothering them without people taking it from molehill to mountain level.
    Considering there's just a handful of you now going in circles -- you may all agree to disagree because I'm locking this as it's getting ridiculous with tit for tat comments.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement