Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GRA to ballot members

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

dclane wrote: »
    Most Gardai I know are loaded, two houses, two cars, 3 holidays a year. Those that are retired have multiple properties.
    I agree with you there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

podge3 wrote: »
    Approx 16 out of your 24 facts are complete rubbish. When I was going to school that was not considered a vast majority. Gave me a good laugh though - best one was you rant about the Garda Health insurance :D:D.

I don't understand your gripe with this old chestnut - even if it is anecdotal.

Are Gardai (or anyone else for that matter) not entitled to invest their money wisely? AFAIK the long list of prohibited activities for Gardai does not include dual car or house ownership.

Em sorry...maybe you can help me out so on some points:

1. How many different allowances do you receive?

2. What does it mean when you members refer to the "big cheque"

3. What is rate of pay as compared to other police forces in europe?

4. Do you deny all the extra freebies you get? such as free travel, toll bridges, parking, matches,

Oh one other question, do you get a christmas tree allowance when you flash the badge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭bringingitall

one thing a strike will hurt is the criminals who get their intellegience from the Gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

dclane wrote: »
    Em sorry...maybe you can help me out so on some points:

1. How many different allowances do you receive?

2. What does it mean when you members refer to the "big cheque"

3. What is rate of pay as compared to other police forces in europe?

4. Do you deny all the extra freebies you get? such as free travel, toll bridges, parking, matches,

Oh one other question, do you get a christmas tree allowance when you flash the badge?
    I never said I was a Member but I'll try and answer as best I can.

1. How many different allowances do you receive? AFAIK uniform Members (who make up the bulk of the force) receive the following: basic pay, rent allowance (NOT TAX-FREE), uniform allowance (€4.50 per week) and boot allowance (€2.50 per week)

2. What does it mean when you members refer to the "big cheque". Overtime and shift allowance is paid once a month - hence the "big cheque" once a month.

3. What is rate of pay as compared to other police forces in europe?The latest figures I can find show that the PSNI start at £24k sterling on completition of training.

4. Do you deny all the extra freebies you get? such as free travel, toll bridges, parking, matches, I can neither confirm nor deny that such things go on. However anecdotal evidence indicates that these "perks" are a worldwide Police phenomenon. So if you want to benchmark the Gardai against other Forces then I'm afraid you have to include these also.

Oh one other question, do you get a christmas tree allowance when you flash the badge No idea, but when you are playing with your toys on Christmas morning you can be assured that there are Gardai on duty all over the country.

BTW, you never asked about benchmarking? Members of Sgt and Garda rank got 4%. That probably paid for the 2nd house and car :rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

jake59 wrote: »
    If you look back through my posts you will see that I have said that cuts have to be made. I'm willing to take them as they come. Nobody is looking for a pat on the back here. What I am saying here is that there is a huge distinction between the job (garda) and any other in the state. The fact that guards can't strike and are restricted in so many other parts of there personal life (Ref. Garda Code) sets them apart, whether good or bad. Most of my posts here have been asking for a comparison within the state or else rebutting ignorant comments about the job.

Fair play to your wife for all her hard work in getting where she wants to be.

A member of the Defence Forces can't strike, a member of the Defence Forces has a job that sets them apart from any other job in the country.

What exactly does all you said have to do with the fact that members of AGS are breaking the very law they're sworn to uphold if they go ahead with this ballot?

Apart from looking for sympathy of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

By Charlie Weston

Tuesday December 08 2009

THEY may not realise it, but most gardai retire as millionaires. This is because the cost of buying a garda's pension on the open market would amount to €1.1m, figures calculated by pensions experts show.

But the garda will only have contributed €110,000, or 10pc, to their pension even after the imposition of the pensions levy, according to research by actuary Fiona Daly of Rubicon Investment Consulting.

The State will have provided 90pc of their pension pot, or €1m, once account is taken of tax relief, Ms Daly said.

The figures, which Ms Daly initially compiled for the 'Today With Pat Kenny Show' on RTE Radio, show that even after the imposition of the controversial pensions levy, the lion's share of a garda's pension is paid for by the State.

Gardai are unusual in the public sector as they can retire on full pension at the age of 50.

The calculations are based on a garda who joined the force after changes made to pensions arrangements in 1995 and retires on a salary of €52,822.

Entitled

On retirement after 30 years, the garda is entitled to a tax-free lump sum of €79,233, and an annual pension of €26,411.

Ms Daly said the value of this retirement lump sum was €1.12m, of which the State would have contributed €1m.

Pensions experts said the most an employer in the private sector was contributing to a employee's pension was 20pc.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/most-officers-retire-from-gardai-as-millionaires-1966954.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Husqvarna

Hmmm, while I've been away I see this thread has continued apace.

One question for the Gardai on the forum however. I'm not entirely sure what you're looking for. Obviously no further cuts in pay, but realistically is it worth sacrificing your already damaged reputation by taking this action?

Please explain to me exactly what warrants selling out on your oath? Is it all for a few quid? Even while all those around you are also having their pay cut? The more I think about this the more I think the Gardai have lost their sense of duty and loyalty to the State. Even if individual members continue to believe in these ideals, by continuing to allow certain members of the GRA speak on your behalf, means you are losing the confidence of the Irish public, whose safety you swore to uphold.

Shame on you and on your representatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

i just think its funny that greed in this country has come so far that those supposed to uphold the law of society are willing to forego it for the sake of keeping their own pockets lined while people are losing jobs left right and centre, nice one, im sure you'll be remembered for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jake59

Poccington wrote: »
    A member of the Defence Forces can't strike, a member of the Defence Forces has a job that sets them apart from any other job in the country.

What exactly does all you said have to do with the fact that members of AGS are breaking the very law they're sworn to uphold if they go ahead with this ballot?

Apart from looking for sympathy of course.

Nobody is looking for sympathy or is that just your own take on things? Any guards that go ahead with this course of action will be breaking the law as we all know. Seriously though how can you compare the work of the defence forces with that of An Garda Siochana?. The PDF act in ATCP functions but most other areas of their work would be militarily minded. My own personal view is that the guards should not strike but thats just my view.

1. How many different allowances do you receive? AFAIK uniform Members (who make up the bulk of the force) receive the following: basic pay, rent allowance (NOT TAX-FREE), uniform allowance (€4.50 per week) and boot allowance (€2.50 per week)

You don't mention all the other allowances such as the one you mention below. Let me enlighten you:

Members of An Garda Síochána in 2008 totalled €215 million, according to a list of 46 expenses types and their costs supplied by the Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform

2. What does it mean when you members refer to the "big cheque". Overtime and shift allowance is paid once a month - hence the "big cheque" once a month.

3. What is rate of pay as compared to other police forces in europe?The latest figures I can find show that the PSNI start at £24k sterling on completition of training.

4. Do you deny all the extra freebies you get? such as free travel, toll bridges, parking, matches, I can neither confirm nor deny that such things go on. However anecdotal evidence indicates that these "perks" are a worldwide Police phenomenon. So if you want to benchmark the Gardai against other Forces then I'm afraid you have to include these also.

Oh one other question, do you get a christmas tree allowance when you flash the badge No idea, but when you are playing with your toys on Christmas morning you can be assured that there are Gardai on duty all over the country.

Yes and my wife is a paramedic who will be out in an ambulance this christmas and as for me, I am on call over the whole of christmas for no extra pay or ALLOWANCES

BTW, you never asked about benchmarking? Members of Sgt and Garda rank got 4%. That probably paid for the 2nd house and car :rolleyes:.[/QUOTE]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭danman

jake59 wrote: »
    Nobody is looking for sympathy or is that just your own take on things?

A Garda on Lunchtime with Eamon Keane yesterday was almost crying into his coffee. It was the most ridiculous interview I've ever heard. The man should grow up and get some balls.

If he is an example of the new wave of Garda on our streets, God help us.

So, yes. He was on that show for one purpose, to try and garner sympathy.

BTW, you never asked about benchmarking? Members of Sgt and Garda rank got 4%. That probably paid for the 2nd house and car :rolleyes:.

State pays 90 per cent of a Garda pension, even after the imposition of the pension levy.

In addition, gardai are entitled to claim up to 57 allowances – with the majority of them pensionable.

Garda allowances: what they can claim

Rent Allowance (€58.9m in 2008)

“Whatever about the historical origins of this allowance, it is essentially treated as part of pay and is paid to every member up to and including Chief Superintendent.”

Premium Payments (€9.07m)

“Paid to members who are on leave [who] would ordinarily be entitled to claim unsocial hours allowance if they were not on leave.”

Clerical Allowance (€2.07m)

“Paid to officers engaged in clerical duties to compensate for loss of other allowances, particularly unsocial hours.”

Gaeltacht Allowance and Aran Island Allowance (€1.2m)

“For members serving in defined Gaeltacht areas who perform their duties through the medium of Irish and whose knowledge of the language is certified as adequate for that purpose. And (paid) to compensate members stationed on the Aran Islands for . . . costs of travel to and from the mainland.”

Uniform Grant and Allowance and Boot Allowance

(€50.4 m):

“Paid to members of

An Garda Síochána for the maintenance of uniform.”

Plain Clothes Allowance (€1.9m)

“Paid in lieu of uniform allowance for maintenance of plain clothes – clothes not provided.”

Non-Public Duty Allowances (€1.7m)

“Paid to members of An Garda Síochána who perform a duty of a non-public nature (eg inside sports stadiums, race meetings).”

Advertisement