Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wes Hoolahan for Ireland?

• 07-12-2009 2:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭

Ok, I know this may be biased as a Norwich supporter, but Wes Hoolahan is playing football which needs to be admired. He has 11 goals for us this season and some of the football he plays is just brilliant. The through balls fed into strikers, goals scored and general work rate is second to none.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

I doubt Trap even knows his name if reports are to be believed:(

Wes is quality, always was, may suffer the same fate as Andy Reid,
    hope he doesnt play guitar:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Yeah I've been noticing him scoring a fair few goals alright,what age is he now? Oity there are no friendlies coming up he coulda been a useful addition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

There's friendlies coming up in March. I know it's 4 months away but hopefully he'll have more goals and assists to his name. He's already making a big name for himself in League 1 where he helped Blackpool gain promotion and now doing the same with us. His only international experience was the "B" game v Notts Forest. Trap was only with the FAI a short while then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

he wont get a game when he is in league one unfortunately and rightly so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Weso should have been in the team five years ago. The sooner the better. He's the closest thing we'll ever have to Lionel Messi :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

kensutz wrote: »
    Ok, I know this may be biased as a Norwich supporter, but Wes Hoolahan is playing football which needs to be admired. He has 11 goals for us this season and some of the football he plays is just brilliant. The through balls fed into strikers, goals scored and general work rate is second to none.
    I thought he was a goalie.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Wes very exciting player to watch. But does tend to lose possession sometimes. Got caught out against Deportivo when he played with Shels a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

event wrote: »
    he wont get a game when he is in league one unfortunately and rightly so

Why rightly so?

Wes very exciting player to watch. But does tend to lose possession sometimes. Got caught out against Deportivo when he played with Shels a few years ago.

That was years ago. His whole game has improved considerably even in the past 6 months and even when Lambert dropped him he came back even better.

Either way Trap doesn't go to that many Premiership games let alone Coca Cola games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Depor subbed Doucher, of Beckham injury fame, on specifically to man mark the little genius. Says it all. This was a Depor side fresh off a champions league semi final iirc too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Wes got one cap, against Colombia in 2008.

The man had ability to burn, and unfortunatly was robbed of a true chance to shine by remaining in a National League which was built on shoddy foundations.

He was superb at Shels, and deserved a big move in 2004. It never materialised, and he ended up at Livingston. Like Richie Foran, his desperation to play cross channel soccer ended with him playing at no hoper teams. His Norwich period is the pinnacle of his career, and they are light years behind where they were in 1992/1993, and 2003/2004.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Absolute legend. Up there with Tony Sheridan as the most skillful player I've watched in the LOI.

Would love to see him in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Johner wrote: »
    Why rightly so?

a player playing well in league one is generally not at a high enough standard to be able to play international football.

its not a great standard in the league

Yes and you make an equally strong case for Keith Fahey as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Great little player.

He's as good as any player we have.

Lacks that burst of pace, but his game has adapted to this and he is still very dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

if andy reid can't get in little chance of wes making it - not traps type of player

Het-Field wrote: »
    . His Norwich period is the pinnacle of his career, and they are light years behind where they were in 1992/1993, and 2003/2004.

I'd say we're on par with 03/04.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Yes and you make an equally strong case for Keith Fahey as well.

+1 to that.

How Martin Rowlands got called up ahead of him for Montenegro I do not know. I'd be hopeful Jay O'Shea can start making a bit of an impact too.

Advertisement