Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this a reputable website to purchase Digital SLR from?

• 07-12-2009 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,

just wondering if anyone has ever used these guys to purchase cameras from? http://www.digital-cameras.com/

Spotted a camera that I also priced on Pixmania, but with better options in a pack and a bit cheaper......but you know yourself, don't want to go handing over cash to any bogeymen!!

any confirmed users and their experiences appreciated

thanks

Sadcafe

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

if you check websites like this:
    http://www.resellerratings.com/

that website you linked to has no ratings at all, meaning it's either brand new or nobody ever uses it, both reasons why i'd avoid it

a little searching reveals that they are part of camerabox:
    http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Camerabox_co_uk

some really bad reviews on their and many of the good reviews seem a little too good as if the company wrote them themselves

My advice, stick to well known and popular websites if you want to avoid hassle or try somewhere like Gunns Camera shop in Dublin for competitive prices in a real shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sadcafe

Thanks Daire, sorry to have put you out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭paudie

Dang, just found this site a few minutes ago and was delighted.
    Guess I'm heading to New York after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 LiamusMaximus

I suppose I should hang my head in shame for going to the UK, but I just bought a new SLR online from amazon.
    I saved nearly 40% on the Dublin retail price
    If you've decided on the camera and know what you want I'd certianly check prices online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

I bought a lens from digital-cameras (aka camerabox) a few weeks ago. Reviews here were mixed but I went with them anyway - much cheaper than pixmania and bricks and mortar shops in Ireland. They were a pleasure to do business with. Came in 2 days. I know there are some threads here which will tell you to steer clear, but my experience went without a hitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

Ordered a lens on the 1st December.
    Money was immediately taken from my account.
    Didn't arrive the next day. Didn't arrive that week.
    We started chasing them. They don't reply to email. Their phone system doesn't work.
    It plays a pre-recorded message and then drops the call.
    On the 17th time I called I did manage to get someone. He put me on hold and then dropped the call after 7 minutes.
    To date I've called about 45 times.
    Sent around 22 emails.

I'm passing this on to my bank to get the money back now.

For the people that had acceptable service, you're lucky.
    For anyone else? Ask yourself why a company has 3 web sites for the same business. Hope you don't get burnt like me.

:mad:

Thanks to all for the replies. In the end I decided that it was too much money to trust to an online store, so I used some shoe leather and went to Gunns and made a purchase there. Have to say that they were a pleasure to deal with and I'm happier for spending what turned out to be about €22 more than I would have got the same for at Pixmania, would have been a lot cheaper at Digital-cameras.com.....if it ever arrived!! Looks like you can't beat the old fashioned methods then!!:)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

sadcafe wrote: »
    so I used some shoe leather and went to Gunns and made a purchase there. Have to say that they were a pleasure to deal with:)

Good stuff - so we can look forward to seeing your pics (when the copyright issues get sorted!) here on boards?

Good stuff - so we can look forward to seeing your pics (when the copyright issues get sorted!) here on boards?

Woah there horsey, lets not get carried away just yet, have to learn how to use the thing first before I start any public exhibitions of my masterpieces!!

Forgive my ignorance, as I'm relatively new to all this, but what are the copyright issues?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The idea is that you post images here so that others can help you to develop as a Photographer. There will be plenty here to give advice, even if it's not been requested.

The "copyright issue" is to do with the Boards.ie Terms of Use. There is some discussion going on as to how images posted here can be used. I am confident that this will be sorted out in the next little while.

Advertisement