Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

massive pot hole

Options
  • 07-12-2009 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭

just wondering if anyone has any experience of hitting a massive pothole in the dark , damaging suspension to the tune of 600 euro, and sucessfully claiming for the damages from the county council ? or am i just wasting my time even trying to do so ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Send in a letter to them but there is a good chance they will plead the law Non Feasence. It basically means that a pot-hole is wear and tear of the road and absolves the Council for responsibility.

Still worth sending in a letter because sometimes what looks like a pothole is a cutting etc and this is not covered by Non feasence.

Remember to include photos of the pothole and the surrounding area as they should send out an Engineer to look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

There are loads of them around since last week. Very bad ones on the Douglas Road and around the Coach Hill and Clarkes Hill areas in Rochestown.

AFAIK, the council are not responsible for "new" potholes, but once it has been fixed once, then it becomes their problem and responsibility if it reoccurs. Not sure if that is 100% accurate but I remember hearing this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

went up to take pic as advised ( thanks ! ) would you believe.. it has been filled , so we took a pic of the filled pothole any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

went up to take pic as advised ( thanks ! ) would you believe.. it has been filled , so we took a pic of the filled pothole any way.

I've heard of people getting bills like that paid by the Council. Worth a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

Good luck with dealing with Cork City Council

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

actually its the county council , outside city limits apparently:D

but thanks luck will be needed !

• Registered Users Posts: 26 stik

Ludo wrote: »
    AFAIK, the council are not responsible for "new" potholes, but once it has been fixed once, then it becomes their problem and responsibility if it reoccurs. Not sure if that is 100% accurate but I remember hearing this before.

This is correct. I succeeded in claiming from a Council for damage to car. Be sure to give as much detail as you can in your letter - date, time, exact location - and include quote from your garage. Also include photos of the pothole and any visible damage to your car. Don't expect them to pay up straight away though! It was 8 months before I got the cheque but at least they paid up. I sent them a letter at the start of every month to see what stage the claim was at (it was always waiting for the engineers report :rolleyes:) so that they knew I wasn't going to let it go. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

I buckled a alloy in a pothole on the Rochestown Rd about two year back. Managed to claim for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Hoggy101

Tuesday hit a crater sized pothole on main road to midleton (co cork) cominig from the Cork city direction just after Carrigtwohill.

Anyway damaged not only tyre but cracked alloy aswell. Reckon its gonna cost me 300+ euro.

Happened to me at quarter to one in the day. I passed the same site 3 hours later and sadly saw another car stuck at the side of the road changing there having hit the same hole.

Seemingly more cars have also done damage there as it was on radio after warning people about it.

This is no regional road, this the the N25 national primary between Cork and Rosslare. The pothole has since been filled.

Have i any chance of claiming succesfully?

dsc01374za.jpg

dsc01378r.jpg

dsc01380d.jpg

dsc01386o.jpg

dsc01383zy.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

Ring the city council

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

coldwood92 wrote: »
    Ring the city council

Ring the COUNTY council, its outside city boundaries. Although on the N25 would the NRA not be resposible?

Advertisement