Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening a Hair salon

Options
  • 07-12-2009 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi,

I am thinking of opening a hair salon. I have found an ideal location, with free parking and a great catchment area. Im just waiting to see if landlord will let it as a hair salon.

My question is do any of you know how much roughly it will cost to set up salon.

Can I negotiate with the landlord re fitting out salon or do i have to do that myself.

any help or tips would be appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭infamous

It would be really up to yourself to fit out the shop for your needs. You should negotiate with the landlord over the rent, landlords are struggling to fill premises so take full advantage of this you should also look for a few months free as a goodwill gesture as you start your business. I recently rented a retail unit for 15k p.a raising to 18k after three years the property had been rented for 33k two years ago its totally a renters market. I have no insight into the cost of fitting out a salon but my advise would be to get a reliable fit out company and let them at it, I tried to take on alot of the work and got help from friends who are tradesmen so it took a lot longer and wasnt as good a finish as I had hoped for.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

I may be corrected but you usually rent/lease the building and then its your own business wheather you have a petshop, hair salon etc You get to fit it out in your oiwn style and plumb it or change the electrical points to suit your layout...only when the lease is up you have to leave it as you found it i.e bury the pipes etc. paint it magnolia..
    Take photos for your records, your memory might not be as good as a landlords?!?!

p.s. PM if you want more details - I set up my own salon 2 yrs ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

When it comes to fitting out the salon, have a chat with the likes of Wella and Schwarzkopf.
    I've heard that they can be very helpful with equipment (free stuff) and, of course, supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

I would have had you down as a more 'Head and Shoulders' kind of guy Tony....

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭themoneyguy

Have you ever thought of going mobile.
    My sis was goiing to do the same recently - get a loan,make an investment and lease a premisis but she decided to advertise as a freelance hair stylist. She used a site called www.beautyfinder.ie or something.
    Says she has never looked back since....just a thought in these recessionary times.
    If your going to go the premisis route you should be able to negotiate a reasonable rent/lease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭lateron

Thanks for the tips everyone, There is so much to do to !!!!!
    I have to do a full costings to see if it will be a profitable business for me.

i have been out of this business for a while, I have to re-educate myself.
    I have never ran a business before I feel this is a great opening as there is a large branded supermarket there, shop and coffee shop, homewares store and no salon. there will be free parking which is a bonus.
    I am going to negotiate withe the landlord on the rent as he is looking for too much money at present and the agent said that it is negotiable.

is it the right time to be opening a salon?

Will it take alot of money to set up, will it take alot of time to make money?

I am investing my own money in to this so I have to be wise in making my decisions.

If you have any words of wisdom, Please send them my way!!

Thanks everyone
    :confused:

DubTony wrote: »
    When it comes to fitting out the salon, have a chat with the likes of Wella and Schwarzkopf.
    I've heard that they can be very helpful with equipment (free stuff) and, of course, supplies.

Hi Dub Tony,

thanks for the reply... Can you give me more details so I know what to ask them. What will they give for FREE...( I like that word!):D
    I am waiting on a call form the Wella sales rep.

thanks

Have you ever thought of going mobile.
    My sis was goiing to do the same recently - get a loan,make an investment and lease a premisis but she decided to advertise as a freelance hair stylist. She used a site called www.beautyfinder.ie or something.
    Says she has never looked back since....just a thought in these recessionary times.
    If your going to go the premisis route you should be able to negotiate a reasonable rent/lease.

Hi Money Guy,

Thanks for the suggestion... I hadn't thought of that. If this all works out to be too expensive I think that would be a fantastic idea as i have just googled mobile hairdressers in my area and there are none!!

thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It really depends on what your idea of a salon is. You could do it pretty inexpensively, or you could go all-out and spend a lot of money. It basically depends on the 'positioning' you want, as the marketing people say.

It's not all about money either, even at the high end. In a certain small area in Dublin, two well known hairdressers have recently opened new premises. One spent literally millions of euros (not hard to guess which one that was), the other spent in the order of tens of thousands of euros. The more expensive one looks shinier, but it doesn't necessarily look better and won't necessarily attract more customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 KGK

Hi there,just inquiring how your home salon is going as I really want to do this myself in the future. I have a space in my house/garage but would like to know how do you manage stock especially color. Would you stock every color or is there a trick for handling this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement