Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

intro To Programing exam

Options
  • 07-12-2009 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

Was jus takin a look at the past exam papers, and they are flyin over me head. The assignments were grand, but this jus looks like absolute gibberish.

Anyone on the same boat/ able to help at all?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

What are you having trouble with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

processing one.. im having problems with the way the questions are asked, because the questions are on strings mainly, which is something i never really grasped.

Also, im very worried about writing out perfect code on paper, especially since our lecturer said most codes are wrong the first few times! how harsh is the marking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

It's a week away! I havent even thought about it yet!

But apparently this is the first year they've ever used processing so the past papers mightn't be too much help!

Also by strings what do you mean?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭meathawk

Gianluca Pollastri said that each semi colon isn't all that necessary as he isn't even going to input the code into the processing console, those exam papers were all java, if you have any grasp of the assignments he said it'll be fine. I just got back assignment 5, lucky thing I've already passed intro to programming :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

If the sample papers for processing they gave you are anything like the Java ones its just inheritence and Object orientated programming. Same thing every year just asked a different way or phrased differently. Look over the lecture notes, find where that stuff is mentioned, do it out a few times on paper on till you understand the concepts and where everything is coming from.
    It's fine not understanding things but you'll find you'll generally pickup a lot more siting down and DIYing it.

meathawk wrote: »
    Gianluca Pollastri said that each semi colon isn't all that necessary as he isn't even going to input the code into the processing console, those exam papers were all java, if you have any grasp of the assignments he said it'll be fine. I just got back assignment 5, lucky thing I've already passed intro to programming :cool:

out of curiosity, how have you passed it?

If each assignment was worth 8%, you'd need full marks in each...but we're only given grades..and an A is 80% up, A+ is 90%...I havent got Assignment 5 back but I have A's and A+'s in all of the others - I still might only be on 32%...im going with 40% as a pass here!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

TDOie wrote: »
    If the sample papers for processing they gave you are anything like the Java ones its just inheritence and Object orientated programming. Same thing every year just asked a different way or phrased differently. Look over the lecture notes, find where that stuff is mentioned, do it out a few times on paper on till you understand the concepts and where everything is coming from.

I dont think there are any sample papers.......at least none that I have seen!

I got an A+ in each assignment, so I assume that means i got the 8% in each one

• Advertisement

I got an A+ in each assignment, so I assume that means i got the 8% in each one

Not necessarily - an A* is 90% so you have at least 36% - pass by compensation!

Don't mean to rain on your parade, I'm trying to figure out for myself how I've done too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Incorrect, an A+ is 76.67% and upward.

:mad: my parade has now been officially ruined, however I don't think these 8% assignments work in the same way essays do, i doubt they'd give you 6 percent for an A+.

No, they'd give you 6-8%, depending on how good of a grade you actually got. An A+ covers that whole range

Sorry, I really didn't mean to ruin that for you!

I like to work out the minimum mark I could have so if I have higher than that then happy days!

Does anyone have the gruyere.ucd.ie link for this course, I cleared my history and lost it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

http://gruyere.ucd.ie/2010_courses/10010/

Theres the course site.

Anyone have any idea what they could possibly ask on the exam?

Is it likely to be similar to the assignments?

Thanks, you're a star.

Apparently Gianluca said there would be some questions in English, some in computer language and apparently some T/F questions, which would be handy!

Excuse my ignorance.

What are T/F questions?

And what do you mean by questions IN computer language?

Ive done all the assignments, got an A in all of them but am absolutely lost as to what this test is about.

It means True/False questions, I suppose I'll have to get at least 10% out of the exam.

It means True/False questions, I suppose I'll have to get at least 10% out of the exam.

Ah. Sweet. I reckon I need about 15percent from the exam.

Did he give any clue whatsoever as to whats good to study?

Im going over some stuff on the processing website at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 doorknob_opener

On the set of slides from the last lecture, there is a ''course summary'' slide. Some of the topics are written in Italics. Is there any reason for this? A hint perhaps?

Sorry, this is probably a really silly question!

Possibly, I'll have to have a look at those myself :p

I don't care if i don't pass the exam, once I pass the module.

I have a fair idea (I think) so I'm probably just going to wing it :D

misslt wrote: »
    I don't care if i don't pass the exam, once I pass the module.

I have a fair idea (I think) so I'm probably just going to wing it :D

Pretty much my approach too.

Sure, it'll be grand...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

WORST EXAM EVER. Seriously.

int (you'reScrewed) = 0%;

ExamPossibleToDo = boolean;
    if (ExamPossibleToDo = true) {
    attempt exam;
    }
    else
    { you're screwed;
    } //not a valid function

WORST EXAM EVER. Seriously.

int (you'reScrewed) = 0%;

ExamPossibleToDo = boolean;
    if (ExamPossibleToDo = true) {
    attempt exam;
    }
    else
    { you're screwed;
    } //not a valid function

haha....jeez i wanted to cry after that exam. I finished with half an hour left so I left.....didnt want to look at the absolute crap I had written. But so many people were finished extremely early and just waiyed twirling their pencils till the hour was up. Thank God the assignments were worth 40% because that didn't go well at all. But question 2 and exercise A were doable enough so fingers crossed.

my god excercise 2 was dreadful, the shiiite I wrote about pressing the keyboard, yikes

Ohh god.

So i did wing it....winged my way to a fail!

It was woeful!

Aww well...its done and I'm finished so roll on tonight :D

Wish I did more than just the first piece of continuous assessment.......:(

Fad wrote: »
    Wish I did more than just the first piece of continuous assessment.......:(
    Wow, hope they changed the rule where failing the CA means failing the module.

• Advertisement

Raphael wrote: »
    Wow, hope they changed the rule where failing the CA means failing the module.

failed anyway :)

Advertisement