Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Systems Engineer

Options
  • 07-12-2009 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

What certs would you have to do to become a systems engineer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

zazzz wrote: »
    What certs would you have to do to become a systems engineer
    All and none.

Working with *nix, OSX, Windows? What other software? Exchange? Active Directory?

The list is endless.

I would think as a base it might be a good idea to get or work towards an MSCE or MSCA or a Linux+, RHCE etc

Its mostly about experience though i.e. you can have all the certs in the world and still not get hired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭zazzz

There goes that career what about security engineer any thoughts, just experience or can be 50/50

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

zazzz wrote: »
    There goes that career what about security engineer any thoughts, just experience or can be 50/50

You'd need the ones for Systems Engineer PLUS the security ones. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭accensi0n

The general idea would be to get any IT job you can because on-the-job experience is key.

Then get some entry level certs like CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+. Microsoft certs like MCP, MCSA. Cisco certs like the CCNA.

Decide what interests you most and focus on that. i.e. Try to get a job in the field you're most intersted in and study for certs that match that field.

• Advertisement
Advertisement