Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How far can I sail up the Liffey?

• 07-12-2009 4:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭

Actually, I posted that question the long way round - the Liffey starts up near Powerscourt and flows through Wicklow and Kildare before entering Dublin and the irish Sea. What I am asking is if you wanted to sail down the liffey, what is the highest point where you could start without any obstructions?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Gone Fishin

In a sailing boat, I don't think you'd get far doing it in reverse. Your keel fin/rudder would definitely stop you and your sail would cause huge problems with the bridges. Best place to start would be to get admirality charts and see how you get on from there but I don't think they go that far beyond Heuston Station, if they go that far. Put it like this, I own an 18ft power boat, on my trailer on normal ground, its about 12 feet tall. If I was at the East link at full tide in the water, to pass under, I would need a bridge lift. Simple solution for you, get a canoe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

If you actually mean "sail", Blessington Lake is the only place you could sail any distance with a mast.
    Jim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Sailing from Blessington lake would be cool but I didn't necessarily mean 'sailing' - excuse my ignorance. I'm not into a canoe either as I'm a little big for that. Basically I would like to travel from the highest point possible straight down as far as where the boat clubs are north of Heuston station in a very small boat. Are there any companies or clubs that organise such a thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

The guys who canoe would be better at answering that. I don't know the river very well. But, If you start above Blessington, you have the dam blocking your way. And lower down where they do the "Liffey Descent", there are waterfalls and weirs where they have to carry their canoes.
    The flat area around Newbridge and Sallins is probably the best for your kind of navigation.
    Jim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

The liffey can be done right from the source in a Kayak, not easy though near the start, it takes heavy rainfall and you need to be very experienced. once you get down towards blessington it would be manageable the whole way in an Canadian Canoe (I think) but it would be a long hard slog.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 garboard

I think you could get quite farc sailing a wee dinghy such as a Topper! you'd need to capsize a bit to go under the bridges.

Advertisement