If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Receiver and Speaker Purchase Advice

Options
  • 07-12-2009 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi John & All,

Looking to get started on my first seperates system, previously had an all in one but looking to make the step up. Have been doing some basic research and reading the threads here and am caught betweeen a few receivers-maybe you could give me some help with the pros and cons of these. Looking for a 5.1 system to initially play bluray and sky HD through. Have picked out the Onkyo 507 and am trying to figure if the upgrade to 607 is worth considering (given that I'm not likely to go for its 7.1 offering!). Other option from the recomendations here seems to be the Denon 1610 (1910 might be pushing the budget!! :))-am I right in saying the 1610 doesn't offer zone 2 audio? Not sure if this is something I'll actually use though it is something I like the sound of.

On speakers I think this may end up being a build up over time job but my question here is how do the MA Radius range compare to the MA Vector range. Would it be preferable to start to build up the radius range rather than maybe go for the full Vector package from the off. How is the difference between the 2 to a relatively untrained ear?!?! Can the vector range be bought individually as well as in a full package?

Any words of wisdom on the above? Can you give me an idea of some prices for packages based on the above?

Sorry for rambling-Hope all that makes sense

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 BlueEd

Just cheekily bumping this to keep it alive for whenever someone gets a couple of spare minutes (busy time of year i know!)!! :) Even some details on the pricing alone would be great if you don't have the time to get into the different models.

Thanks a mill!

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

BlueEd wrote: »
    Hi John & All,

Looking to get started on my first seperates system, previously had an all in one but looking to make the step up. Have been doing some basic research and reading the threads here and am caught betweeen a few receivers-maybe you could give me some help with the pros and cons of these. Looking for a 5.1 system to initially play bluray and sky HD through. Have picked out the Onkyo 507 and am trying to figure if the upgrade to 607 is worth considering (given that I'm not likely to go for its 7.1 offering!). Other option from the recomendations here seems to be the Denon 1610 (1910 might be pushing the budget!! :))-am I right in saying the 1610 doesn't offer zone 2 audio? Not sure if this is something I'll actually use though it is something I like the sound of.

On speakers I think this may end up being a build up over time job but my question here is how do the MA Radius range compare to the MA Vector range. Would it be preferable to start to build up the radius range rather than maybe go for the full Vector package from the off. How is the difference between the 2 to a relatively untrained ear?!?! Can the vector range be bought individually as well as in a full package?

Any words of wisdom on the above? Can you give me an idea of some prices for packages based on the above?

Sorry for rambling-Hope all that makes sense

Thanks

Blue,

No problem on the rambling (I'm a bit prone to it myself!)

Nice systems you are looking at - the 507 and the 607 are excellent models as are the 1610 and the 1910 - the 1910 does have the edge no doubt in terms of audio quality - however it is also the most expensive! The 607 at the now reduced price is excellent value and is well worth the extra over the 507 - however I would not ignore the 1610 as I feel that it is a much underrated product and is a little in the shadow of the 1910 - however it has most of the quality and features of the 1910 and especially retains the musicality of the 1910 (great if you listen to a lot of music like me).

In spec terms the 1610 drops very little - it is 5.1 as against 7.1 (but very few people are allowed to or can or want to use 8 speakers in their living room
    (in my case I'm not allowed...:o) the 1610 is also 75Watts a channel against 90 watts for the 1610 - again not of huge importance in the normal living room - you also drop one audio input (the 1610 has 5 the 1910 has 6) however of most importance I feel is that if the 1610 allows you to get a decent set of speakers like the Vector or the Radius rather than a budget pack like the Yamaha 270/280 then I would 100% pop for the 1610 every time.

On the 1610 / Vector 5.1 kit we can do this at just £599.90 for the whole kit which is just slightly more than the Vector costs on it's own in most UK retailers!

The Vector is really tight on stock at the moment however we do hope to get more in this Friday or very early next week at the latest.

The Radius system to be honest is in a different league - but is also more expensive....if you would like a quote on a Radius 90/180/360 centre (very sexy) just drop me a line and I'll get it out to you by return.

Thanks again and apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Blue,

No problem on the rambling (I'm a bit prone to it myself!)

Nice systems you are looking at - the 507 and the 607 are excellent models as are the 1610 and the 1910 - the 1910 does have the edge no doubt in terms of audio quality - however it is also the most expensive! The 607 at the now reduced price is excellent value and is well worth the extra over the 507 - however I would not ignore the 1610 as I feel that it is a much underrated product and is a little in the shadow of the 1910 - however it has most of the quality and features of the 1910 and especially retains the musicality of the 1910 (great if you listen to a lot of music like me).

In spec terms the 1610 drops very little - it is 5.1 as against 7.1 (but very few people are allowed to or can or want to use 8 speakers in their living room
    (in my case I'm not allowed...:o) the 1610 is also 75Watts a channel against 90 watts for the 1610 - again not of huge importance in the normal living room - you also drop one audio input (the 1610 has 5 the 1910 has 6) however of most importance I feel is that if the 1610 allows you to get a decent set of speakers like the Vector or the Radius rather than a budget pack like the Yamaha 270/280 then I would 100% pop for the 1610 every time.

On the 1610 / Vector 5.1 kit we can do this at just £599.90 for the whole kit which is just slightly more than the Vector costs on it's own in most UK retailers!

The Vector is really tight on stock at the moment however we do hope to get more in this Friday or very early next week at the latest.

The Radius system to be honest is in a different league - but is also more expensive....if you would like a quote on a Radius 90/180/360 centre (very sexy) just drop me a line and I'll get it out to you by return.

Thanks again and apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

ATB,

John Mc

John,

Thanks for the detailed reply and opinions-plenty for me to chew on there. Can I be a bit awkward and ask for some other prices based on what you've said above?

If I were to swap in the Onkyo 607 to the above package in place of the Denon 1610 what difference would that make in price?

Also (and no doubt this will be a big jump!) can you quote for either the 1610 or the 607 with a full 5.1 set of radius speakers (would that normally be 4 45HDs a 180HD and the 360HD sub?).

And last question (I promise) can you quote for one of the above receivers and a 2.1 speaker set based on the Radius speakers if I were to decide to go for the better speakers but start at 2.1 and then build up to the full 5 over time?

Thanks again for all your help.

John,

Thanks for the detailed reply and opinions-plenty for me to chew on there. Can I be a bit awkward and ask for some other prices based on what you've said above?

If I were to swap in the Onkyo 607 to the above package in place of the Denon 1610 what difference would that make in price?

Also (and no doubt this will be a big jump!) can you quote for either the 1610 or the 607 with a full 5.1 set of radius speakers (would that normally be 4 45HDs a 180HD and the 360HD sub?).

And last question (I promise) can you quote for one of the above receivers and a 2.1 speaker set based on the Radius speakers if I were to decide to go for the better speakers but start at 2.1 and then build up to the full 5 over time?

Thanks again for all your help.

No problem,

Here are some options:

Denon AVR1610 + Vector Speaker Kit = £599.95 / €679.99

Onkyo TXSR607 + Vector Speaker Kit = £649.95 / €739.99

Denon AVR1910 + Vector Speaker Kit = £739.95/€839.99 (that's a cracking price!)

or....;)

Denon AVR1610 + Radius 90HD * 2 / Radius 180HD centre / Radius HD 360 Sub - £1049.95 / €1169.99

Onkyo TXSR607 + Vector Speaker Kit = £649.95 / €1229.99

Denon AVR1910 + Vector Speaker Kit = £1149.95 / €1299.99 (that's a cracking price!)

If you wanted the above receivers with the Radius HD 2.1 based on the Radius 360 HD and the Radius 90 HD I can do that as follows:

Denon AVR1610 + 2.1 Radius HD - £719.95 / €819.99

Onkyo TXSR607 2.1 Radius HD+ = £769.95 / €869.99

Denon AVR1910 + 2.1 Radius HD = £849.95/ €959.99

Thanks again and keep me posted if we can assist,

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Thanks John-that's given me lots to think about!!

• Advertisement

Thanks John-that's given me lots to think about!!

Ed,

No problem - drop me a line if we can assist!

Thanks again,

ATB,

John Mc

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.