Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TEDx in Galway?

Options
  • 07-12-2009 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

Just sussing out if a TEDx event in town (Kellys upstairs as a venue maybe?) would get anyone off the couch? How about it buckfastmeisters? Any ideas?

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I'd like the idea...
    For those unsure: http://www.ted.com/tedx

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

TEDx was created in the spirit of TED's mission, "ideas worth spreading." The program is designed to give communities, organizations and individuals the opportunity to stimulate dialogue through TED-like experiences at the local level.

Sounds good. Depends on the ideas whether I'd go or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

Yip... I book stuff for Kellys, give me a shout..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

As long as it's not as ridiculously expensive as the Leviathan night in Kelly's. €17.50 into that. Talk about being exclusive!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Why was I hoping for a system of parcels delivered by priests when I saw the thread title?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Robbo wins 100 internets.

I'd like it too. I keep and eye on the TED website regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

galwaybabe wrote: »
    As long as it's not as ridiculously expensive as the Leviathan night in Kelly's. €17.50 into that. Talk about being exclusive!

David McWallet:D:p:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

ok, who's sincere? let's try it..... I'll get in touch with Kellys and see how they take the idea...

can we agree that there's enough bollicky smart ass commentary everywhere (ya, looking at you MadameRazz... how about zero money motivation, just intellectual intercourse) and can we rise to having a mature intellectual night? (does this mean boring?)....

anyway buckfastmeisters, ye up for it??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Sounds good. I'll happily spread the word. PM me if you want some help

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Happy to spread the word/help too! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

There's an event listed in Galway for tomorrow (9th) on the TEDx site!!???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 maestrojon

Does anyone have any info on this one for tomorrow night? Is it a private event? There doesn't seem to be a website....

If this is a closed event then I would also be interested in getting involved with another one, perhaps in the new year. I've been a TEDster for years and have thought about organizing something like this for ages. Let me know the craic...

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭3-D Preacher

Just found a Facebook group for TEDx Galway: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=121335910961

Though on their event page the date is listed as Saturday 19th December in NUI Galway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I'd definitely be up for something like this. Will check out the NUIG event. As long as it's not some Arts postgrades trying to explain why we don't really exist or something abstract like that!! Physics, engineering or technology and I'm there.
    Robbo wrote: »
    Why was I hoping for a system of parcels delivered by priests when I saw the thread title?

:D:D:D

tedx.jpg

Just sent an email to a fella in NUIG who seems to be the organiser TEDxGalway asking him to post some info on this thread for those of us not Facebookers!

By the way, his suggested video of Vik Muniz's art is worth a watch!

Just an update: I got a reply from the NUIG TEDx organiser - he says they have registered a TEDx event for Galway with TED and are in the planning stages. They did book a date of 19th December but the actual event is now being worked on for the Spring due to various logistical issues (change in speaker availability, issues with upgrading of planned venue).

So, nothing happening tonight 9th, neither on the 19th but sometime in the spring so will look forward to that. He's going to update the FB page and TEDxGalway entries. He knows about this thread now so maybe he'll post occasionally to keep us updated.

Anyways, good to know that we'll have a live TEDxGalway event soon. One change I think they should consider is to hold the event in an informal setting rather than a soulless lecture theatre, would be much better for a relaxed, non-academic atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 iainmacl

HEllo there!! I'm the bloke in NUIG. The story is the following:

(1) We were approved by TEDx to hold an event in Galway and started the process. TEDx popped in a date as a 'holding' date before the end of the year on their website although we had yet to confirm with them

(2) We use facebook since that's one of the requirements of TEDx for consistent communication

(3) Some overly enthusiastic person created a separate TEDXGalway facebook page and that attracted others who were doing simple search.

(4) Anyway, seems to be sorted now, but the story with the event is as follows.

(5) There shall indeed be a TEDxGalway event and it should be excellent with some great presenters.

(6) It is currently being scheduled for the Spring rather than 'before the end of the year' because of the usual issue in getting mutually acceptable dates, etc.

(7) It is most likely to take place in NUIG because of ease of getting a venue to handle the various technical requirements and in terms of minimising the potential costs.

(8) It is TEDxGalway and not TEDxNUIG so rest assured that it is open and takes a wider perspective.

(9) Under TEDx rules the number of participants has to be limited to 100 so if you are keen to participate then please visit the facebook page and register an interest or email me at my work address: <PM user for this, biko>@nuigalway.ie[/email] That way I can keep you up to date on developments.

(10) If you have suggestions for excellent speakers in the TED style then by all means pass them on.

(11) Similarly, if there are particular TED videos you'd like to select for screening at the event, then please share those ideas with us.

(12) If you want to volunteer to assist in the organisation - again, all welcome, just drop me a line.

Hope this helps and sorry about the confusion. The 'correct' facebook site is

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=121335910961&ref=ss

Best wishes

Iain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 iainmacl

good point and will give venue careful thought...we were looking to avoid lecture theatre actually and use a performance space, but need a bit more negotiation on the various constraints on audience size, recording capabilities etc (we need to record the presentations for TEDx)....but yes, atmosphere is important...if ends up in theatre, we'll make sure it isnt an old one and that at least there's a buzz and interaction !! Will try for other space first though.

Any info on the TEDx event? On the TEDxGalway Facebook page it looks like something on June 11th, am hoping Iain will post something with some details for non-Facebookers...

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭IainML

Hi there! Yes we use facebook as recommended by the TEDX organisers, sorry about that.

The story is that the first attempt at a TEDxGalway will be on June 11th from 2:30-6:00 pm. We've had a number of delays and date changes due to various speaker and venue complications but decided to just go ahead and stop re-scheduling!

The venue is Aras Moyola which is in NUIG because that venue is available and booked out for us for a few days that week for another event so it makes it easier to bring in the video equipment, etc (all TEDx presentations have to be recorded).

There's an interesting mix of presentations covering science, history, poetry and music - so hopefully something for everyone.

The full programme will be posted in the next week or two along with the launch of both our website and ticket bookings. As soon as we're ready I'll post here as well as on facebook.

Thanks for your patience - hopefully it'll be rewarded!

Iain

• Advertisement

Ticket bookings? Is this going to be a pay-in event?

No. It is free, but there is a requirement for tickets to manage the numbers and, again, to comply with TEDx rules. Just an online form where you register your name, that's all. It will also mean that you can (if you wish) go on the contact list for next year.

Sounds good! ;) I hope it's tickets per talk or even better per category. I'll definitely be signing up for the science ones but would have little interest in the rest, wouldn't want to prevent someone interested in attending. A few engineering ones would be a big plus - lot of wave energy research going on in Galway bay - would make a v nice topic!

No. It's all or nothing. That's the idea of TED and TEDx - that you open your mind to a range of different topics, not that you just pop in and out for each 18 minute slot, I'm afraid. The whole idea of TED is that people with different interests and backgrounds get to meet and chat about ideas. If you are just interested in one of the talks, say, then you'll be able to see it online after the event anyway, since all will be recorded and posted up to TEDx.

Yes there are lots of interesting topics, but its not always possible to get a speaker for some of those and any given time. Maybe next year?

cheers

Iain

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Ah no, won't be around for this after all. And was really looking forward to it! Hope it goes well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I'm there with bells on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Can't wait!

names about to trickle out ....

(1) Mike Redfern, Astronomer, "Twinkle, twinkle little star..."

mikeredfern-3.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭einshteen

Keep us posted, not everyone is on facebook!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Dubhghaillix

Unreal! Can't wait! :D

Advertisement