Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TEDx in Galway?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭IainML

Louis de Paor (Poet) and Ronan Browne (Piper)

louisba.gif

m_f1ae1eee350f40e98c93b35fa4f71fbc.jpg

Where can you sign up? I'd be well up for this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Iain says...
    IainML wrote: »
    The full programme will be posted in the next week or two along with the launch of both our website and ticket bookings. As soon as we're ready I'll post here as well as on facebook.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

The programme is nearly complete. You can now register your interest by booking a ticket at http://tedxgalway.eventbrite.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

The programme is nearly complete. You can now register your interest by booking a ticket at http://tedxgalway.eventbrite.com/

Just signed up. Thank you!

Signed up.

Cannot wait and have posted information on my facebook profile, with a lot of interest from friends. Any information on the other people who will be speaking/preforming?

not yet, I'm afraid, also a change to the line up as one has dropped out. Always the fun part of event management!! Hopefully we'll have a full line up of 6 speakers. Anything to avoid Plan B where I have to juggle and sing to fill up time! ;-)

Just got this from IainML...

The speaker line up is now confirmed (not likely to be in this order) as:
    (1) Louis de Paor and Ronan Browne on poetry and music
    (2) Lokesh Joshi on his research in biomedical sciences
    (3) Jenny Beale on the story of Brigit's Garden
    (4) Mike Redfern on "Twinkle, twinkle little star..."
    (5) Abhay Pandit on designing and building biomaterials
    (6) Lionel Pilkington on 'Performance and Performativity'
    (7) Aileen Fyfe on the 'information revolution in the steam age'

Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Blinking_Badger

Bah! Sold out!

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

Hihi, Lionel Pilkington, all my friends had crushes on him during my year at NUIG. Good lecturer!

I was wondering what this was, is it just a series of lectures?

check out TED.com and the TEDx section of the site for a flavour of the events... the TEDxAlamo talk by David Eagleman is well worth a watch

Thanks for passing on the info whilst I dropped off-boards for a while!! the website for the event is http://www.tedxgalway.ie/ and we'll be posting up links to the videos there sometime after the event. So even if you didn't get a ticket at least you'll get to see the presentations.

It's happening immediately (1 hour) after the close of a two-day conference we're also organising, so it's going to be a very busy lunchtime! Hopefully all will go well and as I've said before I really do appreciate and admire the presenters for giving this a go. For a lecturer to try to speak in only 18 minutes can be a real challenge, but these folk are definitely up to it. As for the music and poetry? Can't wait.

Iain

Hi there! i know that there are some folk who wanted tickets and were disappointed about it being sold out, but I've started a reserve list for any cancellations (of which we've had a few). So if you still want to be considered for a place, then please fill in the online form here:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dE9aM2Vsc3hHWUota2sydWRiVFRkTVE6MQ#gid=0

I can't guarantee anything, but I want to try my best to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

I know you're trying your best, but this is just ridiculous. I would have thought I'd at least get a message on Facebook saying when the tickets were for sale, not on Boards.ie. And I'm without a ticket as a result. Not happy.

Sorry you feel that way, but the availability of tickets was announced on the TEDxGalway page and here on boards.ie and on eventbrite, the TEDx official site...etc...and lots of people signed up. Messages were posted there and you must have missed them. But like I say, sign up on the reserve list I have sent out some to folk on that list today.

iain

well, we're getting closer! tickets snapped up, speakers polishing their presentations, programmes arrived from printers, camera crew ready...should be fun....! thanks for your support in the long build up to this and any you can offer on the day in terms of just being a great audience!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Labs

ooo just saw the line up am excited sounds good :) it sounds like a long evening will there be refreshment?

yes, its a little longer than originally planned thanks to some keen speakers but we were very happy to welcome them to the programme. But there is a break half way through with tea, coffee etc.....if it runs out there's a cafe not far (Friars) and we intend at the end to head down to the College Bar for unwinding.

yes, its a little longer than originally planned thanks to some keen speakers but we were very happy to welcome them to the programme. But there is a break half way through with tea, coffee etc.....if it runs out there's a cafe not far (Friars) and we intend at the end to head down to the College Bar for unwinding.

I seriously cannot wait now.

• Advertisement

contain yourself!! hah! :)

We'll be busy with our other international conference from this evening on until 1pm on Friday, so will not be in a position to handle more queries regarding TEDxGalway from now on. The bookings are closed.

If you have a ticket (issued to you from eventbrite) please print it out (it came as an attached pdf) and bring it to the registration desk. Try to be there at around 1:30 or just after so that we can start the event on schedule, please.

Unfortunately because of the recording and other aspects of the event, latecomers can't be guaranteed a seat or indeed admission (there might be scope for entry at back - check with registration desk).

As soon as recordings are available we'll let you know both here and on facebook.

Best wishes and thanks for your support.

Iain

Thanks Iain for organising this, hopefully the first of a successful series! See ye Friday :D

maybe...but someone else's turn next time!! :)

iain

I can't wait for this. Thanks for everything Ian!

thanks!

looking forward to tomorrow's event. We've had a few ticket cancellations in today and will have a 'standby' option for anyone who wants to turn up on the day. Can't guarantee anything but if you want to take a chance there may be a seat up at the back of the theatre.So if local can come 'on spec' if that helps?

Iain

Just back from this and I have to say it was fantastic. The fun with the lights was hilarious. :)

Iain presented the talks excellently and to be honest I think he chose the talks from Ted brilliantly as well. The second Ted talk went really well with the talk on Brigit's Garden.

I couldn't fault any of the talks, and I tip my hat to everyone who helped organise this and of coruse to the speakers too.

Amazing stuff and I can't wait for #2.

Thanks again Iain!

Thanks, yes, the lights were fun...totally random and uncontrollable. That venue is meant to enable us to kill them off by the row and allow darkness for audience and projector with light on speaker...but as you saw the system was amusingly independent! We'd been having fun with it for the past couple of days!

Anyway, thanks again for coming along and, we gave it a go!

Great event Iain, fair dues to you and the other organisers and the performers!

Each talk got me thinking about things and ideas that I hadn't considered before... the one on steam power and the information revolution in the 1800s reminded me of the current buzz about the iPad, the biomimicry one and the last one on sugars impressed me knowing that it's going on just down the road (btw, Janine Benyus's talk on TED is well worth a watch as well)... I was convinced to finally visit Bridget's Garden this summer....and the TED.com videos were well selected (Robinson is inspiring isn't he?, here's another of his talks on Fora.tv: http://tinyurl.com/avr6uc).... and the poetry & singing and pipes and Browne's beats were class. Overall very enjoyable :)

BTW, when's the video going to be uploaded, wouldn't mind watching again.

Thanks

thanks for that...kind of you ! Videos might be a little while yet because we also have to edit and produce a stack of recordings from the other conference over the last few days and a few of the team have leave (well-deserved) coming up, but we'll try our best and let you know..

• Advertisement

Thanks Fiona for uploading some great photos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tedxgalway/

Advertisement