Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

culchie in the city

Options
  • 07-12-2009 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭

hi folks,

need some advice here, as im not familiar with dublin at all

am gonna be attending a course in the ipa which is in lansdowne road on thurs, and on the fri i need to be in st james hospital.

ive no idea where these places are in relation to each other

could anyone tell me how far apart they are, and advise on where would be a good place to stay?

i should prob stay nearer james on teh thurs night. is this on an aircoach route, as will be flying home on fri

any assistance appreciated!

oh, also, recommendations for a nice restaurant would be great also!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

look it up on googlemaps it would give you an idea as to how far apart they are. Landsdown is over the far side of the city and James's hospital is over by St jame's gate the Guinness brewery and Heuston Station area.

James isnt the nicest area in the world, I would reccomend maybe staying in one of t he D4 hotels (D4hotels.ie I think) They are very cheap and of a high quality. google it. They are very close to Landsdown and it wouldn't be too much of a taxi ride from there to James hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Or if you want to stay near St. James hospital the Ashling hotel on Parkgate Street have some good deals and it's about 10 minutes walk from the hospital. You can catch the airport express from across the road from the hotel at Heuston station. I don't know any expensive restaurants locally but there's nice pub grub with a full menu in Nancy Hands pub, (1 min walk as you go right out of the Ashling).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 maria gstones

james is on the red Luas line so if you stay near lansdowne you can get the DART to connolly and the red LUAS up to James hospital. you will be right beside Heuston when you are finished in James and there is and Airport Bus (Dublin Bus 748 or 747) which goes from Heuston to the Airport in about 40mins and runs frequently. look up dublinbus.ie for the timetable.

If you stay anywhere in the city centre (Dublin 1/2 or else Dublin 4) you will be closest to lansdowne and you can get either a DART or bus out to the IPA.

The 92 bus goes from Leeson street, near stephens green and out to heuston (again beside james - 10 min walk) if you can't get somewhere to stay on the DART line/near the Red LUAS line.
    Hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

ye as said above landstowne dart to connoly station, then luas from there to james hospital. no traffic to worry about
    should take 50mins altogether

dublinbus.ie has a search function to give you bus numbers for each route

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

vektarman wrote: »
    Or if you want to stay near St. James hospital the Ashling hotel on Parkgate Street have some good deals and it's about 10 minutes walk from the hospital. You can catch the airport express from across the road from the hotel at Heuston station. I don't know any expensive restaurants locally but there's nice pub grub with a full menu in Nancy Hands pub, (1 min walk as you go right out of the Ashling).

Agree 100%. Aisling hotel is the nicest hotel in the area, but I don't think it would be too expensive. Just finished a big re furb. It looks lovely.

Also there is an FXB steakhouse above Nancy hands. Very nice food. Other than that,'ll get the luas back into town a bit to eat (lots of nice places on the quays near temple bar, get off the luas a jervis, walk towards the liffey, you'll see TB across th eliffey). Aisling hotel is 1m walk from luas. and 5 / 10 mins on the luas to centre of town.

Enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

IPA? You must be a public servant. Do your country proud and stay in a hostel, it's taxpayers money ffs!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    IPA? You must be a public servant. Do your country proud and stay in a hostel, it's taxpayers money ffs!!!

Great contribution, thats helps the op loads and doesn't at all make you seem like an idiot.

funkyjebus wrote: »
    Great contribution, thats helps the op loads and doesn't at all make you seem like an idiot.

k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

actually, its not taxpayers money, it's money I am paying out of my own pocket, over €2k for teh course, as well as my own transport and accommodation.

i have chosen to do the course to make me better at my job.

(note, i am happy to fund it myself, i dont want, need or expect anyone else to do so, im just replying to the quoted post and correcting teh assumption)

and im doing it in my own time, not availing of study leave for it.

sam34 wrote: »
    actually, its not taxpayers money, it's money I am paying out of my own pocket, over €2k for teh course, as well as my own transport and accommodation.

i have chosen to do the course to make me better at my job.

(note, i am happy to fund it myself, i dont want, need or expect anyone else to do so, im just replying to the quoted post and correcting teh assumption)

im only joking, i work in the PS too. I thought you get IPA courses refunded if you pass though no?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

im only joking, i work in the PS too. I thought you get IPA courses refunded if you pass though no?

i've no idea whether some people do or not.

i know in my job I dont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

Get a taxi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

Or the dart or the bus or the luas

Advertisement