Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A book for a 19 year old male?

Options
  • 07-12-2009 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

Can someone give me the name of good books...something with a touching morale story would be perfect!I have only ever read sport biographies!:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

What i did awhile ago was read the entire "10 to read before the apocalypse?" thread and write down the names of books which were frequently mentioned until i had a list of 10. If i liked the poster id take his recommendation too. I picn'mixed. I then went out and bought these books. My list was something like this

Catch 22 - Joesph Heller
    The Player of Games - Ian M. Banks
    Nineteen Eighty-Four - Orwell
    The Alchemist
    A brave New world
    Lord of the Rings
    Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Ryan
    Animal farm -Orwell
    Lord of the Flies
    The catcher in the rye

I have since read all these. This is the order i would re-read them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Plowman wrote: »

I would second that. Also Herman Hesse Demian.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

c0rk3r basically hit the nail on the head. I suppose theres no point reading really heavy books, unless thats something you want to get into later. In the meantime I would certainly recommend:

Catcher in the Rye
    To Kill A Mockingbird
    Brave New World
    Animal Farm
    Lord of the Flies

in that order as these are all great books while being relativity short and easy enough to read. As well they are "important" books, in that they are well known and integrated into popular culture. 1984 especially.

EDIT: On the Lord of the Rings: I think its an absolutely fantastic book but a bit of a struggle for new readers or even those who fail to get "in" to to it, due to its length and writing style.

On Atlas Shrugged: Although myself and Ms Rand would agree on most things I think she epitomizes the word self-indulgent. In the Fountainhead she says in 700 pages what a regular author could say in a third of that. Basically its repetitive, and long, and thus also unsuited to fresh readers. The reason she appears so popular is because she has a large Internet following who erroneously class an author by what they say rather than how they say it.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭PDelux

This Is The Country by William Wall. The main character is an Irish guy around that age. Not a feel-good story but a good book nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

Plowman wrote: »
    Have you tried: The Catcher in the Rye, J. D. Salinger?

It has a moral in there somewhere, but it is one book I wish I had read earlier... :)
    Cheers I think I might give this one a go so!Is it a lengthy book?Is it a "page turner"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I think I shall have to chip in here and once more suggest Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

How about, "The curious incident of the dog at the nighttime" by Mark Haddon, it's a touching story about a boy with aspergers sydrome(similar to autism). It's an easy enough read and has a few laughs thrown in there without compromising the seriousness of the condition.

Out of the really popular books mentioned, you can't go wrong with To Kill a Mockingbird, a truly fantastic novel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Snow Crash!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Kenny90

most books by chuck palahniuk are great
    fight club and choke are two of my favourates now both movies the're great books for commuting journeys, light reads and well written

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Phil D

"The Catcher in the Rye" and "Catch 22" have to be two of my least favourite books. I always felt their reputation was built on one or two ardent fans shouting louder than everyone else about how brilliant they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Teganz

How about the Twilight Saga? Haha :D I am just joking, although it would be great insight about what women want. Other than that, I would recommend Into the Wild.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Kenny90

i read the twilight saga so no one could call me out when i ripped on it
    and fell in love with it within 100 pages. and couldnt put them down.
    they honestly are brilliant reads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

I think you should read Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts.

One of the most inspirational books i have ever read.

A must!

http://www.curledup.com/shantara.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭randomguy

Crow Road by Iain Banks and Eureka St by Robert McLiam Wilson are both very readable. A Nick Hornby book might also do the job, maybe Fever Pitch. Catcher in The Rye isn't a bad option if you want something a bit more classic.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

mufc4lfe wrote: »
    something with a touching morale story would be perfect!
    I found nothing touching about Catcher in the Rye, tbh. And it was only a page turner so I could finish the damn thing quickly.

I would second Lord of the Flies, and Shantaram if you have the time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭mountain

RonMexico wrote: »
    I think I shall have to chip in here and once more suggest Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson:D

have to agree with this,its a great read,
    also its time for you now to read "On the Road" by Jack Kerouac,
    for a bit of politics you could try some of John Pilgers book,
    read lots, its a great age to open your mind to the world of books

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭fullback4glin

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larson is excellent. It's the first of a trilogy. Well worth a read, I'm a 20 yo male and loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭jackthekipper

Try Let the Right One In, should be forced on every Twilight fan.
    Also try some of James Elroys stuff, he wrote LA Confidential.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

falan wrote: »
    I think you should read Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts.

One of the most inspirational books i have ever read.

A must!

http://www.curledup.com/shantara.htm
    anyone else read this?Sounds good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

The Beach-Alex Garland.

Anything by Douglas Coupland.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gav86

Tucker Max - I hope they serve beer in hell. Hilarious read

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

Ender's game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭NiamhDunk

interview with the vampire anne rice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

A few people mentioned Brave New World on the first page but you might like Huxley's first book. It's called Yellow Chrome and it's about a 19 year old who spends some time with a girl he likes but is too shy to ask her out.

He was 22 when he wrote the book so the young characters are are very well developed. I found it good fun and quite funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Teganz wrote: »
    How about the Twilight Saga? Haha :D I am just joking, although it would be great insight about what women want. Other than that, I would recommend Into the Wild.

Couldn't agree more, absolutely brilliant book. Touching, but never too sentimental, always exciting and just an incredible story all round. One of my favourite non-fiction books.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Terry Prachett diskworld stuff

Bill Bryson travel books are nice too

• Registered Users Posts: 20 MedlyObsidian

Catcher in the Rye
    To Kill A Mockingbird
    Brave New World
    Animal Farm
    Lord of the Flies

That is literally the list of all the books I had to read in high school, with just two missing: Their Eyes Were Watching God and A Child Called It.

Though I wouldn't really suggest either of those to a 19 year old guy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭ocianain

Phil D wrote: »
    "The Catcher in the Rye" and "Catch 22" have to be two of my least favourite books. I always felt their reputation was built on one or two ardent fans shouting louder than everyone else about how brilliant they are.

Couldn't agree more!

Advertisement