Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Santa is upgrading my obsolete Nokia 6021! help needed choosing phone

Options
  • 07-12-2009 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

I presently have a Nokia 6021 O2 PAYG I spend about €20-€30 a month. I presently want to change my phone. I am looking for a phone that uses Voice over internet protocols like Skype to stay in touch with family in NZ. As I spend a large amount of time travelling and staying away from home for work I would like to be able to access the internet for the likes of Facebook, hotmail and Boards (work internet blocks all the graphics/images/icons on Boards and straight blocks the other two sights.) Was thinking of an iPhone because they look cool with there great photos and Google maps but not keen on being tied to an expensive contract and think they maybe a little bulky in the pocket. Also need advice on how internet usage is charged for with the different mobile companies? Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Pay as you go is 99cent on any day you use it. It entitles you to 50MB of usage but for boards and facebook you probably wouldn't use 5MB in a day.

With hotmail, boards and facebook all have mobile versions, you dont really need an expensive phone for better internet browsing. The iphone is a big step up from a 6021.

Do you have a budget? Anything you would like on the phone? camera, good music player, gps etc? Preferred network, and staying on pay as you go?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Hi Davey, Thanks for the info. Would prefer pay as you go mainly because I don’t want to spend more than €30per month also would prefer not to be tied to a contract for 12months. Am presently with O2 only because my partner is and we get free calls to each other. However, may consider changing both phones to another provider.As for budget am not on a strict budget for phone purchase as Santa is paying!! Am also not concerned about the step up from the 6021, its just lived longer than I expected so could not justify buying a new one earlier and was just to lazy to keep up with phone technology. Am reasonable tech savvy so this is of no concern either. Would like a camera but does not need to be a high mega pixel, would like a high quality large display screen though. Would also be interested in a phone that has a video camera on the front of the phone so I can video link VoIP. Do not need a music player. Think GPS is probably more than I need but Google maps would be of great use. Also, need to consider use of phone abroad. Would like to be able to put a NZ SIM in the phone if I manage to make it over for the world cup in 2011!Thanks 

• Registered Users Posts: 28,151 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

best of both 25 from 3 sounds like it would suit you down to the ground, Skype is included so you can use that for free straight from your phone. You get 100 anynetwork minutes, 100 free 3 to 3 (for your partner) and free texts to all networks, it is a contract but it's only for 6mts your free to leave after that without any penalties or you can keep the contract rolling, they also support vidoe calls which the o2 network don't not sure about the video call over voip though.
    Phone wise you can pick up the nokia 6500 slide on that plan for €99 it dosen't have wifi but ticks all the other boxes, 3.2mp camera, Mp3, Radio, Mobile TV, skype, msn messanger, facebook & bebo direct links from the phone.
    The 100 minutes are also fexiunits so can be used for the internet as well, no fear of a big bill either as it's capped at €25pm.

Advertisement