Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State defends ban on abortion as women take case to Europe

Options
  • 07-12-2009 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

THE Government is to defend Ireland's controversial abortion ban in a landmark case this week in the European Court of Human Rights.

And if Ireland is found to be in violation of the European Convention on Human Rights it may lead to the introduction of abortion here in limited circumstances.

Attorney General Paul Gallagher will lead an eight-strong legal team to Strasbourg to defend the ban.

The European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) will sit on Wednesday to hear the action brought by three Irish women in a ruling that could have European-wide implications.

The case has been taken by three women identified as A, B and C, who claim their health was put at risk by being forced to go abroad for abortions.

In an indication of how robustly the State will defend Ireland's ban, Mr Gallagher has engaged two of the country's leading constitutional lawyers, Donal O'Donnell SC and Brian Murray SC.

If successful, the case could establish the minimum degree of protection to which a woman seeking an abortion to safeguard her health and wellbeing would be entitled under the European Convention on Human Rights.

And it may, if Ireland is found to be in violation of the convention, lead to abortion being available here in certain circumstances.

Abortion is criminalised under the Offences against the Person Act of 1861, which threatens women who 'unlawfully procure a miscarriage' with life imprisonment.

The Supreme Court ruled in the 1992 'X Case', which convulsed the country, that abortion is permitted where there is a real and substantial risk to the life of the mother (including the risk of suicide), as distinct from her health.

Problems
    But successive governments have shied away from introducing laws to give effect to the ruling or clarify the legal status of the unborn, leading to problems in other areas such as IVF.

The Irish ban will be interpreted in light of a recent abortion case which found against Poland.

The case, Tysiac vs Poland, imposed an obligation on states to provide effective procedures for women to obtain abortions that are legal under national law, signalling that, at the very least, the Government may be obliged to legislate for the X case.

Mr Gallagher, who may personally appear as an advocate before the court, is expected to argue that Ireland is entitled to rely on the "margin of appreciation doctrine" which is often used in cases involving sensitive domestic legal issues.

This doctrine affords a range of discretion to individual member states in the interpretation of convention law and allows the ECHR to take into effect the fact that the convention will be interpreted differently in different signatory states.

The women, supported by the Irish Family Planning Association (IFPA), will argue that the ban violates a key right under the convention.

The women lodged a complaint to the European Court of Human Rights in August 2005, contending that the Republic of Ireland breached their human rights under Articles 2 (Right to Life), 3 (Prohibition of Torture), 8 (Right to

Respect for Family and Private Life) and 14 (Prohibition of Discrimination) of the European Convention on Human Rights.

Senior counsel Carmel Stewart is representing the women, assisted by the IFPA's legal consultant, Julie Kay.

- Dearbhail McDonald Legal Editor
    Irish Independent

When will this country actually join the 21st century? Legalise abortion, but limit it to within 4-6 weeks of conception, that seems fairest. 8 fatcat solicitors are going to try to keep us in the stone age and keep women under the bootheel of the church. Shameful.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/state-defends-ban-on-abortion--as-women-take-case-to-europe-1966158.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

When will this country actually join the 21st century? Legalise abortion, but limit it to within 4-6 weeks of conception, that seems fairest. 8 fatcat solicitors are going to try to keep us in the stone age and keep women under the bootheel of the church. Shameful.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/state-defends-ban-on-abortion--as-women-take-case-to-europe-1966158.html

There is nothing '21st century' about abortion, nor does it mean we are 'under some churches bootheel' if we don't permit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

Look: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AbortionLawsMap-NoLegend.png

We're one of the minority who refuse to give a woman the choice

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Legalise abortion, but limit it to within 4-6 weeks of conception, that seems fairest.
    Did you just pluck that time-limit out of a hat?

Grand so. Everyone form a queue -or move on. :)

Dades wrote: »
    Did you just pluck that time-limit out of a hat?

Grand so. Everyone form a queue -or move on. :)

UK allows upto 26 weeks I believe. I'm stating my opinion that if a foetus is to be terminated, that it should be done well before it evolves beyond a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Women under the bootheel and young lads bent over the pedestal... how anyone follows the catholic cult these days is completely beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

UK allows upto 26 weeks I believe. I'm stating my opinion that if a foetus is to be terminated, that it should be done well before it evolves beyond a few weeks.

Why?

The whole premise of the case is that Irish women are not put at risk by having to travel? Are they not at more risk at 26 weeks?

Why?

The whole premise of the case is that Irish women are not put at risk by having to travel? Are they not at more risk at 26 weeks?

Apparently not. Plus I think it's unethical to abort so late into a pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Look: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AbortionLawsMap-NoLegend.png

We're one of the minority who refuse to give a woman the choice

Not sure what map your looking at , but legal on request seems to be the minority there.

Legalise abortion, but limit it to within 4-6 weeks of conception, that seems fairest.

4 weeks to next period + realise it's missed, another week to verify, then get on waiting list/make an appointment for abortion. Time limit maxed already.
    Nice in theory, but it would need to be around 8 weeks or so to give a realistic chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Oh ****... here it goes again...

Pro Choice!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Apparently not. Plus I think it's unethical to abort so late into a pregnancy.

The ethics are not around the foetus. I thought you didnt want to take away a woman's choice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

We already have legal abortion in certain cases, like when the 'baby' develops with out a brain but the fact the government refuses to legislate those legal cases women have to travel out of the country for medical proceedures which are not against the law in this country.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    We already have legal abortion in certain cases, like when the 'baby' develops with out a brain but the fact the government refuses to legislate those legal cases women have to travel out of the country for medical proceedures which are not against the law in this country.

Yeah our gov will never fully sort that until they're forced to by Europe

The map shows the majority of places allow abortion with valid reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Yeah our gov will never fully sort that until they're forced to by Europe

Didn't the govt just spend millions guaranteeing voters that europe would not affect abortion in this country ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭_michelle_

i tink women should have a choice not be pushed one way or the other, it really is a personal issue & i dont think the government can force a woman to another country if thats what she really wants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Morlar wrote: »
    Didn't the govt just spend millions guaranteeing voters that europe would not affect abortion in this country ?

Not taxpayers' money, no, and I'm fairly sure they said Lisbon wouldn't have any effect, and they're right so far.

Morlar wrote: »

They spent €0.00 asking voters what their opinion was on abortion. I'd say the majority of us would be pro-choice. What do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

Everyone keeps going on about how women are "forced" to have these children. If abortion is legalized here in Ireland I have no doubt that many women will be forced TO have abortions. In the same way that women were forced into putting their kids up for adoption.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭afatbollix

bollix any one who wants an abortion just goes to the UK anyway... to be honest it just would be alot easier for every one involved if it just involed a trip to a local hospital instead of a 2-3 day trip...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

They spent €0.00 asking voters what their opinion was on abortion. I'd say the majority of us would be pro-choice. What do you think?

We have had more referenda on it then any other topic.

• Advertisement

Yes and it almost got voted trough, there was a difference of only 2 or 3 percent in the last one.

A poster made the point that women are going abroad to get this done. Family planning groups help with this, but it's pricey and to have to leave one's own country to do it just maks the ordeal even worse.

I understand the arguments against abortion. I believe that it should be available to women, it's their body, why should a government refuse them that right?

Of course I also believe that if that person knows the father, that there should be an agreement or mediation before a final decision is come to. But that's a different matter.

The fact is that as of now, ladies have to flee to UK or Netherlands (the latter being much more hospitable, less of a conveyor belt of patients) to do what really should be allowed in this country in this day and age.

I guarantee people will look back on these days and wonder at our naivety and out and out cruelty.

These are all my opinions and I do not state them as fact. But I believe them wholeheartedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Legalise abortion, but limit it to within 4-6 weeks of conception, that seems fairest. [/URL]

What about the women who don't find out until they're 4-6 weeks gone? What then?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I agree. I argue for a 12-16 week cut off myself for a large variety of reasons. The US allow 24 I think too. Of course since my cut off is smack in the middle between current law in the UK/US and Total Anti abortion people, I take flak from both sides :)

Still I am comforted by the fact that in the US 61.3% of abortions happen before 9 weeks. Around 88% happen before 12 weeks. And of the 12% who had it later 58% OF them said they wish they had had it sooner***.

So not only do I have arguments for my 12 to 16 week cut off, but it appears to match the reality of both what is happening and what women WANT to do too.

========
    source:
    ***www.guttmacher.org/pubs/fb_induced_abortion.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

I agree. I argue for a 12-16 week cut off myself for a large variety of reasons.

That's funny. I could have sworn that you argued for a 16 week cut-off on the othewr thread on the basis of your assertion (quoting one medical paper) that "it (conciousness/sentience) plain and simply is not there".

Why would you want to bring it back to 12 weeks when a 16 week foetus, by your definition, has absolutely no rights?
    Is it because you dont trust the science and want to have an extra large (8 week buffer from 20 weeks) 'just in case'? In which case, how can you trust an area of science that is very much in its infancy, practically a foetus, you might say?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I support the right of life of the unborn, over the womans right to choose.
    Abortion is murder. Nobody is forced to the uk, they travel there to circumvent irish law.
    The truly suicidal will probably take their own lives at some point, regardless of whether they have an abortion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Everyone keeps going on about how women are "forced" to have these children. If abortion is legalized here in Ireland I have no doubt that many women will be forced TO have abortions. In the same way that women were forced into putting their kids up for adoption.

Ok?

Seems a better alternative

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

Uh, wasn't the issue of irelands sovereignty regards it's abortion laws dealt with under those 'written guarantees' we were offered as an incentive to pass Lisbon 2? I guess we're about to find out of a written guarantee from the EU is worth the paper it's written on.....

• Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You're saying, if we legally offer women Choice, they will have No Choice? I wish to subscribe to your web log.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

2 stroke wrote: »
    I support the right of life of the unborn, over the womans right to choose.
    Abortion is murder. Nobody is forced to the uk, they travel there to circumvent irish law.
    The truly suicidal will probably take their own lives at some point, regardless of whether they have an abortion.
    WOW.

Just wow.

I thought this sort of religious bigotry was long gone in this country! What gives some one the right to tell someone else what they can and cant do? If you dont agree with abortions fine, but dont tell me i cant have one (if i was female) just because it goes against your views!!!

Advertisement