Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bands You Like Who Were Crap Live

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

Tool - Ozzfest Ireland.
    Utterly dire. After enduring half the set and getting more fun from watching the winamp-like visuals than the music I went back to the (full size) bus we'd hired to go up from Cork. All but 5 people were already back in the bus, and only 3 were not back in the bus before Tool stopped playing.

Dropkick Murphys - Reading Festival 2008
    I'd been trying to see them since 2000, but something always scuppered my plans. I finally get to see them and the sound was being done so badly it was torturous.

Beck - T in the Park, 2001(?)
    Just plain crap, nobody seemed interested at all - and this was at what was probably the peak of his fame! Didn't so much watch him as wander past the main stage a good few times while he was playing.

Slayer - Cork Marquee
    The shoe getting thrown at them was the highlight of a poor gig. Had I not seen them play so well previously I probably wouldn't have found it to be so bad.

Spiritualised - Aberdeen Music Hall (circua 1998-2000)
    Great lightshow, but that's all I can say positive about the gig...

Loophole - (Support band to Suicidal Tendancies) - Savoy Theatre, Cork 2002
    So bad it was embarrassing for them. Everyone (bar 3 people) was avoiding the main floor like the plague until they were finished, tho in fairness this probably didn't help them to get into their stride. I only remember their name because I was calling them Poophole! (Yes, I know it was childish!)

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Tallaght Saint

Mastodon this summer at Marlay. Even though they played well enough, they didn't say one word to us during their entire set! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

You go to a show that you've spent cash on, you expect to be entertained. Fullstop.

I've been to alot of his shows in the past few years have have been thoroughly entertained every time. Sure he didn't say a single word to the audience, i wasn't expecting him to. Himself and the band play great together, cracking blues/ rock

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭fincollins

yeah...as many have rightly pointed out...the Smashing Pumpkins in the RDS last year or whenever...it took me a while to admit that it was actually $hite...i was so bluudy disappointed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭medici

Stereophonics at Slane back in (I think it was...) 2002. Very very disappointing gig they only sold 60,000 out of the 80,000 tickets available and the support act - Nickleback of all people - really got the crowd going and were dynamite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

I reckon I've been to hundreds of gigs and can count the number of bad ones on the fingers of one foot. Having said that the following come to mind

GNR at Slane 92, waited an hour and a half for Axl Rose and when he finally did arive it turned out to be a glorified rehearsal

Badly Drawn Boy in the Olympia, start one song, get fed up half way through, decide to start another, repeat until 10.30, go home without saying hello or doing an encore. And try to kill yourself by nearly falling off the speaker stack while trying to get into the balcony.

Levellers in the Olympia, lead singer tried to start a fight with someone in the front row, crowd got fed up, very tense atmosphere, happy to get out in one piece.

The Immediate, the constant changing of band personnel and their instrument of choice really wound me up

The Thrills, rubbish live and possibly the most overrated Irish band of all time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭djScarey

yupyup7up wrote: »
    to those of you saying that slayer are bad live, Ive seen them ....with slipknot for the unholy alliance.... They were unbeleivably good all 3 times. Must have been something wrong the times ye seen them!

I was upstairs at that in Hammersmith. I have no love for Slipknot but they stole the show that night. I was expecting too much from Slayer maybe, but to me they were adequate, not unbelievably good. It probably didn't help that many left after Slipknot.

The worst I've been to is Aerosmith at Wembley. My brother-in-law took two days off work to come over from Kilkenny because they were his No. 1 group. The big egod ******s did about 45 minutes and ****** off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

djScarey wrote: »
    I was upstairs at that in Hammersmith. I have no love for Slipknot but they stole the show that night. I was expecting too much from Slayer maybe, but to me they were adequate, not unbelievably good. It probably didn't help that many left after Slipknot.

The worst I've been to is Aerosmith at Wembley. My brother-in-law took two days off work to come over from Kilkenny because they were his No. 1 group. The big egod ******s did about 45 minutes and ****** off.

Slayer seem to have little compunction in bringing support acts who have the ability to upstage them on a given night. Mastodon, Lamb Of God, Slipknot, Machine Head and Biohazard springs to mind. Furthermore, they have often played second fiddle to the likes of Pantera. However, once you take them in exclusion to all other bands, they are often very very good.

Slipknot put on a decent show in the RDS in 2004

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    Slipknot supporting Metallica in the RDS 2003. That was horrific. The sound set up was bad, so the bass wasn't in sync with the drums. They hadn't released Subliminal Verses yet but did play Duality. So most stuff was noisy and tuneless. There were these teeny bopper kids at the front telling us that we had to get down and crouch and then pop up for some song. Yea whatever.... Poor lambs were mostly ignored by angry metallica fans. Heh

I love Slipknot, have become a huge fan since then. Haven't seen them live since that concert. Damn. :(
    Ya i remember thinking they were s*ite, and the crowd going ballistic for them!. The year before Linkin Park played the RDS, sounded class, and got bottled off the stage!.

Anyways, my contribution is Bon Jovi in Croke Park a couple of years ago. Sambora couldn't be arsed playing solo's, guitar tech did for him, Jon couldn't be arsed singing, so Sambora did it for him. Also, they more or less played the entire album they were touring on, and only played maybe 3 of the classics!

After having seen the mighty Metallica live twice before this, I was well let down, considering the larger venue and all!:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭fluke

Hmm...

Stereophonics at Witnness a couple of years ago (more than a couple - 2001 :eek:) were pretty abysmal. I've seen them once since and they had improved.

Counting Crows at Oxegen in 2008 were pretty crap. Really boring and morose!

The Thrills supporting U2 at Croker in 2005 were boring.

Glasvegas supporting U2 at Croker this year were tripe!

Not overly that bad but as a Metallica fan their 2006 show at the RDS was boring stuff - Master Of Puppets album played in full made for a boring set. Metallica's setlist's over the year have gotten predictable and weak. The band seem afraid to throw a few curveballs into the set.

In defense of Tool anybody going to a Tool show (such as the one in 2006) or who listens to Tool should know not to expect a 'rock out with my c0ck out' type of gig.

Also Aerosmith weren't all that back in '07 at Marlay Park but Chris Cornell was the business on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

fluke wrote: »
    Not overly that bad but as a Metallica fan their 2006 show at the RDS was boring stuff - Master Of Puppets album played in full made for a boring set. Metallica's setlist's over the year have gotten predictable and weak. The band seem afraid to throw a few curveballs into the set.

While I'd disagree about that particular gig (I really enjoyed hearing MOP live) I would agree with you about Metallica's setlists becoming predictable. I was disappointed to hear them open with 'Blackened' again this year.

Does anyone remember Gun? Scottish band, released their debut album in 1989, had a minor hit called 'Better Days', another hit a few years later (Steal Your Fire) then a big hit in 1994 with a cover of Cameo's 'Word Up'. Anyway they played the Tivoli in 1994, maybe 100 people there, did a 45 minute set & fecked off. Someone got hold hold of the setlist & it turned out they'd only done half their set (the singer was fairly drunk). I complained to their management, got a nice letter back & some signed stuff, I don't think they ever came back here though...

Oh...another one (all coming back to me now) Paul Di'Anno in the Rock Garden (Eamonn Dorans) about 1993. He was moody, the band were fighting amongst themselves, he said he would 'play any Iron fahkin Maiden' then did 5 Maiden songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 VSTENYIELD

Bad gigs: tool at ozzfest, maybe i was wrecked after the day but they bored the pants off me and i like tool. Had great craic watching therapy? and cyclefly though and kittie were hilarious for 5 minutes. Would have liked the free santana ticket but couldn't go. Metallica at marley park in the summer, lars isn't the greatest at the best of times but his drumming, especially the double bass was shocking so out of time it wasn't even funny.
    I don't bother with slayer anymore, seen them 5 times and they just got progressively worse. Bob Dylan in the point a few years ago.
    Good Gigs: Lamb of God with slayer were awesome and lamb of God in the Academy in february. Megadeth and Motorhead in the Ambassador (seperate gigs)Down in the Academy, great set list with every member on top form.
    James Brown in Vicar Street, Bruce Springsteen- both in RDS a few years ago and this year. Pearl Jam in the Point in 06. Not metal but great gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

Bad gigs:
    The only gig that I was very dissapointed with was Cradle of Filth when they played in Temple Bar back in 2000 on their tour for the rather good 'Midian' album. The sound was terrible and muddy, and you could'nt hear the lead guitars either. That particular gig will always stand out as a major dissapointment for me.

Great gigs:
    It was Immortal when they played in Eamonn Dorans back in 2000. They had great sound, great songs, and truly awesome performance. Abbath was also grinning through most of the songs as well, which added to the atmosphere. He also did some fire breathing which was amazing, and to top it off they did a fantastic cover of Bathory's incredible 'Enter The Eternal Fire' towards the end. I didn't actually know that Bathory song at that time or Bathory's music either, but I knew that it sounded very impressive, and I even remember trying to find it on some of their albums afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Mastodon this summer at Marlay. Even though they played well enough, they didn't say one word to us during their entire set! :mad:

No crowd interaction would surely not make them crap live.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    No crowd interaction would surely not make them crap live.

Great band - moody c**ts.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 slave_screams

Been to a ton of gigs but will just comment on some of the ones over the past year or so

Sonic youth - last week - you never know what you are going to get from a sonic youth gig, could be an amazing run through all their albums, or 30mins of feedback - they played mostly from their new record, which is quite good - I'm from the 'Daydream nation/Goo/Dirty'- era of the band and they played virtually nothing from these, still a good show

Pixies - Great to see them in an intimate setting - Little interaction from Frank Black, Kim did most of the talking the night I went - Played all of Doolittle, a few B sides and 'Where is my mind' of course - crowd were amazing - Short and sweet - Was still expecting a few more songs though

Faith No More - I was a big fan back when they were active but was always a little mystfied as to the praise lavished on them around the time all the nu-metal bands started name-dropping them as their main influence, and their status has only grown since the rumour mill started that they were reforming - that said, the gig was nothing short of amazing, patton of course stole the show, proving himself to be one of the most diversive frontmen in the business - Most fun I have had at a gig in years

Mastodon - As has been commented alreasy, no interaction from the band at all, plus Bill, the second guitar player was in hospital so Brent played most of the gig with his 12 string Gibson to beef up the sound - Couldn't fault them musically and I'm a huge fan of theirs - Looking forward to seeing them in full force next time though, as well as playing tunes of Crack the Skye

Opeth - If Mikael Akerfeld wasn't one of the greatest singer/songwriters of his generation he could make a living as a stand up comedian - Great band and great live show, as always

Metallica - well every metallica show or cd cos they are a terrible band.
    This implies you've seen them a number of times.....why would you keep going and paying to see them if they're a "terrible band"? :rolleyes:

totally disagree btw. They're one of the best live bands I've seen.
    Chilli peppers in Lansdown road - the sound was awful.
    Agreed, but their Phoenix Park gig was 10 times worse. Actually if I hadn't been at Slane in 03 I'd say they were an awful live band!
    RATM @ Oxygen - Yes it was oxygen but i had waited 12 years to see Rage so it was pretty amazing.

+ a million! :) Sat in the pit all day through some awful sh*te to see them!

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    Slipknot supporting Metallica in the RDS 2003. That was horrific. The sound set up was bad, so the bass wasn't in sync with the drums. They hadn't released Subliminal Verses yet but did play Duality. So most stuff was noisy and tuneless. There were these teeny bopper kids at the front telling us that we had to get down and crouch and then pop up for some song. Yea whatever.... Poor lambs were mostly ignored by angry metallica fans. Heh

I love Slipknot, have become a huge fan since then. Haven't seen them live since that concert. Damn. :(

Weird, I thought they were good that day.
    furiousox wrote: »
    I thought Journey were the best band of the night in the O2 (Leppard/Whitesnake/Journey/Tesla)

yea they were!! And Def Leppard are fckin sh*te!

[
    fluke wrote: »
    In defense of Tool anybody going to a Tool show (such as the one in 2006) or who listens to Tool should know not to expect a 'rock out with my c0ck out' type of gig.
    Amen.

My worst:

Any band I saw while sitting in the pit waiting for RATM at Oxegen..... it must be noted that the Kaiser Chiefs got the hardest time from the crowd despite being a million times better than the bands before them (not hard) ... but the Fratellis took the prize for "biggest sack of sh*t I've ever seen ever" but they don't count because I don't like any of them.

RHCP at Phoenix Park was awful

AC/DC played well this year but the show was thoroughly unenjoyable.

Def Leppard - seen them twice as a result of my penchant for Whitesnake and I can safely say that save for maybe 2 songs, they are brutal. And prior to my 1st time seeing them, I was excited to see them.

Audioslave were disappointingly boring.

There was something about the Alice In Chains set this year at Marlay that really disappointed me (and no it wasnt because Layne Staley is dead)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

Manson was abit of a let down at Download this year!It was my first time seeing him and I couldn't wait for him!****ed off after an hour and didn't come back for an encore!But I suppose he got pissed off with the slipknot fan boys at the front roaring abuse at him.

And actually for all the big hub bub that Slipknot were to recieve that night,they played ****e!The whole band was out of focus and they didn't seem to want to be on the same stage together!I saw them in the RDS with Metallica in 2004 and I thought they were brilliant then but they were such a major let down at Download.Don't think I will be in any major rush to see them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Numina wrote: »
    Saw Slayer at Hellfest 2008, and we stayed for the first 2 songs but left because it was just so bad. It sounded really weak. Funny thing is that I actually fell asleep at the start of Raining Blood, you could hear it from the campsite.

3410309192_ba80b07d29_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,971 ✭✭✭furiousox

Miley Cyrus! :mad:

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Miley Cyrus! :mad:

and you were expecting her to be good??;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,971 ✭✭✭furiousox

and you were expecting her to be good??;)

I was expecting a pole dance...didn't get one! :mad:

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

I was expecting a pole dance...didn't get one! :mad:

:eek::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

Pixies - Great to see them in an intimate setting - Little interaction from Frank Black, Kim did most of the talking the night I went - Played all of Doolittle, a few B sides and 'Where is my mind' of course - crowd were amazing - Short and sweet - Was still expecting a few more songs though

The Pixies in the Olympia played for such a short amount of time I'm suprised they didn't offer refunds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭FunnyStuff

Chillies in Phoenix Park, f**ckin rubbish, saw them supportin U2 at Slane so expected better but all i got was a pain in my ass and the joy of seeing some pompous snob getting decked after he chucked away some guys shoe that was crowd surfing. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ruairiw

worst gigs I've seen are;
    Oasis and REM in slane was terrible. Oasis bored me after 3 songs. REM sucked too so left after their second song and got an early bus home, saw the final fireworks from the bus and it was great to get home early.
    Massive Attack in Rds supporting Radiohead were terrible, the soundsystem failing didn't help them.
    The National in the Ambassador were boring, that gig that everyone raved about. Boring.
    Agree with other that the Kings of Leon, supporting Pixies in Rds, were a let down, didn't budge even one note off the records and apologised on stage for not being on form!
    Was at that infamously bad Whipping boy gig in the students/Usit bar behind what was the Virgin Megastore. A drunk friend went home and cut up all his Whipping Boy CDs, he regretted it the next day..
    And as for Bob Dylan, saw him in Kilkenny and really enjoyed the gig though I was miles back but he sang and played harmonica and played some songs I recognised too, which was a bonus for our Bob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Klove

The Breeders in the Ambassador donkeys years ago - not very good at all. Sound was rubbish, like they were under water and they seemed to be hammered and sloppy.

GNR in RDS in 2006 was pretty disappointing, loads of widdling by session musicians while Axl went off stage after every couple of songs to get changed. Therapy? supporting them were shockingly bad too.

Iggy & the Stooges at Electric Picnic 07. Pretty lame. Such a pity cos they were deadly in Dublin Castle a couple of years before that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

Can't believe the hate for the Tool '06 gig in The Point. I was blown away by that gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 muntijaqi

I have to say I am big fan of Helloween and when finally I saw them live in concert last year in Spain in Kobetasonik 2008 (Bilbao) I was a little bit dissapointed.

I saw aswell Judas Priest in the same place, another great group and the quality was not as good as I expected. It was not bad but not good either. The Painkiller song was not furious, the voice did not get the proper level..

I guess many of my favourite groups are just getting old.. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

Been to a ton of gigs but will just comment on some of the ones over the past year or so

Sonic youth - last week - you never know what you are going to get from a sonic youth gig, could be an amazing run through all their albums, or 30mins of feedback - they played mostly from their new record, which is quite good - I'm from the 'Daydream nation/Goo/Dirty'- era of the band and they played virtually nothing from these, still a good show

Faith No More - I was a big fan back when they were active but was always a little mystfied as to the praise lavished on them around the time all the nu-metal bands started name-dropping them as their main influence, and their status has only grown since the rumour mill started that they were reforming - that said, the gig was nothing short of amazing, patton of course stole the show, proving himself to be one of the most diversive frontmen in the business - Most fun I have had at a gig in years

Mastodon - As has been commented alreasy, no interaction from the band at all, plus Bill, the second guitar player was in hospital so Brent played most of the gig with his 12 string Gibson to beef up the sound - Couldn't fault them musically and I'm a huge fan of theirs - Looking forward to seeing them in full force next time though, as well as playing tunes of Crack the Skye

Opeth - If Mikael Akerfeld wasn't one of the greatest singer/songwriters of his generation he could make a living as a stand up comedian - Great band and great live show, as always

FYI on mastodon they never talk coz they cant be bothered with with saying the samebull ****e that means nothing!!!! (there my fave band! my xmas pressie is going to manchester to see them in feb :D:D) instead of all that they spend all there time playing songs (on the last headline tour they played all of crack the skye as well as most of leithivan and blood mountain) nuff said!!!!! MASTODON TILL I DIE hehe

EDIT: re marley park gig what would u perfer Dublin we love you so much ect... or the czar!

Advertisement