Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bands You Like Who Were Crap Live

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

muntijaqi wrote: »
    I have to say I am big fan of Helloween and when finally I saw them live in concert last year in Spain in Kobetasonik 2008 (Bilbao) I was a little bit dissapointed.

I saw aswell Judas Priest in the same place, another great group and the quality was not as good as I expected. It was not bad but not good either. The Painkiller song was not furious, the voice did not get the proper level..

I guess many of my favourite groups are just getting old.. :rolleyes:

I think when you are seeing bands that far into their career and at the age the members have reached you can't go into the gig with the same kind of confidence that you would when they were at their prime - having said that they should always be able to please you from an entertainment point of view.....

In recent years i've seen 60+ 'ers like Dio and Springsteen and they are just top notch, still top of their game......

From the let down side :-

Chilli Peppers - Lansdowne Road, pure ****, no other work for it, they just came took the money and ran, had no interest in what they were doing, and had really been looking forward to finally seeing them live....
    New Order, supporting them - abysmal, I'd often heard they were muck live, but if I'd wanted to just listen to a tape I could have done the gig myself :-(

Monster Magnet - Ambassador, pure ****, had seen them support Metallica in '99 in the Point and enjoyed it, but awful in their headline slot, much preffered Glucifier who supported them that night.....

to be honest I try not to close my mind to bands after just one time of seeing them, or one bad gig, but some times you have to...
    Another band that really disappointed me was Tool - Ozzfest, a very creative band no doubt, but to me it just didn't translate to a live environment very well at all, maybe indoors I'd feel a bit differently about it, but I doubt it, they just bored the crap out of me.....

and I have to say I've seen Mastodon a couple of times and they haven't done anything for me, I like them on album but do nothing for me live......I'm sure I'll be seeing them again soon.......they seem to be a common support for Metallica these days...

I can't believe someone would think that Metallica are a "terrible band" ? just find that very odd, I've seen them many times through the years and actually 4 times over the last 15 months, and I think they can certainly be hit and miss in the Festival environment, but never terrible, and indoor they are a different beast altogether.......if you were referring to mistakes they make ??? I actually like to see mistakes in a show, shows they are at least playing the songs, and somestimes those gigs are more fun as the band is more loose....

I've already got a load of gigs lined up for next this new year......8 so far :-)
    don't think any of them will be a let down to be honest.......keep it Rockin in '10

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭teddy_303

Milli Vanilli. They just weren't a live act. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

NIBBS wrote: »

and I have to say I've seen Mastodon a couple of times and they haven't done anything for me, I like them on album but do nothing for me live......I'm sure I'll be seeing them again soon.......they seem to be a common support for Metallica these days...

I can't believe someone would think that Metallica are a "terrible band" ? just find that very odd, I've seen them many times through the years and actually 4 times over the last 15 months, and I think they can certainly be hit and miss in the Festival environment, but never terrible, and indoor they are a different beast altogether.......if you were referring to mistakes they make ??? I actually like to see mistakes in a show, shows they are at least playing the songs, and somestimes those gigs are more fun as the band is more loose....

Please dont dis the don' metallica do seem to have them on board alot these days for there gigs as well (if they never supported them this year my life would be different lol):cool: :p anyways metallica are great live (tbh this year there were lacking a bit but still a7x was worth it alone )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Red Hot Chilli Peppers back in Lansdowne Rd. were completely terrible! Think they played for 70 mins, Anthony couldn't hit one single note right, huge let down.

I thought AC/DC were poor last year too. (Punchestown, wasn't it?). It's not that they were bad, but they weren't good, and for a band on the go as long as they've been, I thought they were very weak and unpolished.

I got tickets to see Arctic Monkeys in Malahide castle a few years ago. Probably the worst gig I've ever been to. It's the only gig I've ever left early. I think I lasted half an hour. There was such a bad vibe, the crowd consisted of mid-20's who had probably never been to a proper rock concert in their life, so everyone was starting fights at the slightest push. The fact that most the fans had been drinking all day and were very aggressive as a result didn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Can't believe the hate for the Tool '06 gig in The Point. I was blown away by that gig.

I totally agree, it was an incredible experience

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Mine which are mostly from Oxegen:

RHCP- Oxegen 06 was quite bored and was a let down for a band that was closing the festival

Counting Crows - Oxegen 08 - Wasnt pushed about going but went anyways and by god it was a wrong decision played pretty much the whole new album :(

Republic of Loose - Oxegen 06/Marlay Park 06 - No one else was on so watched from the back and left a few minutes later.

Hard Fi - Oxegen 06 - Were terrible , sound was terrible and the singer couldnt sing

Razorlight - Oxegen 07 - Played the same set they played in the RDS a few months before and the singer is a knob

The Killers - Oxegen 07 - Might aswell have put on the cd and listened to them at home (and to this day i have never gotten over choosing them over Daft Punk )

The Fratellis/The Kooks - Oxegen 2008 - Both bands were just so so boring but wanted to be in the pit for Rage

Trivium - Rock Im Park 09 - I just got bored of them after 1 or 2 songs.

Alice In Chains - Marlay Park 09 - Was never a big fan of them so went to the bar instead :)

Thats all i can think of atm

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Sean7

Slayer were pretty naff in The Point a few years back, not made any better by the fact the first three bands put on cracking shows, I even enjoyed Children of Bodom more despite generally not being too keen on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Alice In Chains - Marlay Park 09 - Was never a big fan of them so went to the bar instead :)

So were they bad, or did you just not bother to listen to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Biggest disappointment to me was Soundgarden at Sunstroke, White Zombie kicked them off the stage.

Exactly what I was going to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Tiroskan

Another person disappointed by RHCP in Phoenix Park here. Sh*t gig, sound went down where we were and the worst bit was, I'd seen them in Slane before that where they were frigging amazing and we only went to see them again as a present for my little cousin. Such a let-down. Also, am I just not remembering properly, or did they walk off without playing an encore? Just couldn't wait to leave, tbh. Pixies bored the **** outta me before that as well.

Saw Placebo a few weeks ago in the Ambassador and it was pretty crap. Been looking forward to seeing them since Meds and finally got a chance and it was such a huge disappointment. Mostly played stuff from the new album - which is pretty lackluster - and when they did play the oldies it was, for the most part, pretty atrocious re-imaginings. Even in the encore only 1 of the songs was from one of the older albums, which I thought was pretty shocking. As one of the guys beside me said, it just seemed like they were doing it to pay the bills. Wasn't pushed on the crowd either =/

And on the topic of Def Leppard/Whitesnake/Journey, it was a deadly night, but it really felt like they put the bands on in the wrong order (apparently Tesla too? Must have missed them.). We came in halfway through Journey's set, since we weren't expecting them to be on so early and spent the rest of the evening kicking ourselves, since what we saw was amazing. Whitesnake put on a decent show as well, but Def Leppard were definitely lacking.

Although, considering the number of shows I've been to, I'm pleasantly surprised at how good most of them have been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Nea wrote: »
    Biggest disappointment to me was Soundgarden at Sunstroke, White Zombie kicked them off the stage.

This.

dunno what Tool gigs you're all going to, but i was at the point in 06, leaning back against the barrier in the pit, sound was great (had plugs in so all the harsh high freqs were gone) got in before the rain, vibe in the queue beforehand was brilliant, so thumbs up from me.

mastadon were ****e though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

Dragonforce - Ambassador '06 - the sound was TERRIBLE!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Zerroth

Manowar at Hellfest 09! Too much ****e talk. Getting a guy with "balls of steel" to come on stage to play guitar. Overdubbing it with somehting that guy clearly wasnt playing.

Anyway, they'd be better with more songs and less ****e talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

This.

dunno what Tool gigs you're all going to, but i was at the point in 06, leaning back against the barrier in the pit, sound was great (had plugs in so all the harsh high freqs were gone) got in before the rain, vibe in the queue beforehand was brilliant, so thumbs up from me.

mastadon were ****e though.

Dude i was in the front row of that Tool gig, and had to move to the back of the pit because i literally couldnt hear what songs were being played, Thank **** the o2 has a decent PA system now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭fluke

Dude i was in the front row of that Tool gig, and had to move to the back of the pit because i literally couldnt hear what songs were being played, Thank **** the o2 has a decent PA system now!

So it was the PA system that was ****, not Tool :D

Well I think I said it before but a Tool gig isn't a big 'rock out' gig. In fact they're one of those bands I wish I sat down for when I saw them in the Point. Not exactly moshing music and not the kind of gig I'd be bothered to be up at the front for.

Seen them twice, first at Ozzfest here (or 'fest as i like to call it seeing as Ozzy didn't turn up) and they really shouldn't have been the substitute headline act. Too cerebral for the crowd as everyone had went nuts to Slayer, Therapy and System beforehand (not in that order).

Second time I saw them was in '06. Good live gig alright but going to see Tool is like listening to their albums..ye have to be in the mindset for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

The Killers. Totally phone it in (in Ireland anyway).

Faith No More.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

Avenged sevenfold supporting Iron maiden in London were terrible!!

And i always thought they were qiute a talented bunch of lads but sounded awful. All this pretend attitude and they did a cover of "Walk" that was just weak

But hey i guess the sound is always comprimised for support acts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Moby at Feile in the mid 90s. He started out by playing some classics like Feeling So Real and Go then half way through the set he picked up an electric guitar and started playing a thrash metal song. Talk about killing the buzz. 30 thousands fans stood there, stunned.

:eek::eek::eek: Not true... he started talking about a legend from Seattle that we all loved and would miss greatly (Kurt Cobain had not long died) but then starting ripping into Purple Haze.... one of the best moments ever at any concert I was ever at.

Jimi Hendrix.... thrash metal ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

mentioned before but Marilyn Manson, thought they were good in 2005 supporting iron maiden but god awful at download 07. None of the band were ever that talented, ever see twiggys audition for metallica. But still, their mess ups are a good source of humour on youtube :D

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JohnNightmare

went to mayhem in the music center 2years ago, worst concert i was at, a hour and a half late coming onto the stage, played for 45mins den it was over, no support acts either, seen them in wacken b4 that, 3years ago and it was one of the best gigs ever.

• Advertisement
Advertisement