Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why did the government raise VAT

Options
  • 07-12-2009 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

i'm confused on this because the uk was faced with the same economic downturn as us but it did the opposite to what our economic brains did.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lotusflower

I think the only answer to this is it's Ireland :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Short term thinking because they needed to raise cash to pay to run the country, short term again. It was an easy target but it's backfired on them. I don't have figures but I'd imagine VAT takes are significantly down from last years. I do however think they have the sense to realise this and will reduce it in the budget. Hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

because in Ireland they put the cart in front of the horse! they should drop vat and compete with the north just like any rival business would do!! make them wanna shop in the south!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Drawing Dead

cson wrote: »
    I do however think they have the sense to realise this and will reduce it in the budget. Hopefully.
    the sunday times budget prediction said it'd be changed to 15% on wednesday.

so it was just short term thinking?

I highly doubt it'll be reduced by 6.5% in one shot but I'd imagine it'll be brought to a level 20% if it is to be reduced. It was more reactionary thinking - the budget at the time was hugely troubling given the basic fact the cost of running the country was going to have to be borrowed for the most part. So in an attempt to raise revenue they went for an easy option in attacking VAT. Obviously it backfired on them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

I highly doubt it'll be reduced by 6.5% in one shot but I'd imagine it'll be brought to a level 20% if it is to be reduced. It was more reactionary thinking - the budget at the time was hugely troubling given the basic fact the cost of running the country was going to have to be borrowed for the most part. So in an attempt to raise revenue they went for an easy option in attacking VAT. Obviously it backfired on them.

Question is, how many more idiotic get rich quick schemes are the government going to subject us to, we have already had one in the form of them pissing off the unions with there oh so cunning plan that will let them cut there pay but will probably kill any hope of easy reform.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

The sunday times article wasnt a prediction it was more of a 'what could be done'.

They'll need to reduce it, they've priced themselves out of the market on booze and cigs.

Apparently 500million was spent up north this year, and the years not over yet, say its 650million with christmas shopping, with VAT at 22% that take would be 143million lost, however thats only the start of it, if you work out the total from those goods being imported, tax paid on haulage for the goods etc. its probably upwards of 350-400 million lost.

but assuming the uk model is working well -
    (and i have no idea if it is or isn't, just that people keep sayng our prices need to be competitive)
    - why don't we do the same as them and reduce our VAT to stimulate spending in our economy?

but assuming the uk model is working well -
    (and i have no idea if it is or isn't, just that people keep sayng our prices need to be competitive)
    - why don't we do the same as them and reduce our VAT to stimulate spending in our economy?

A simple answer to that is currency. Being part of the euro, we couldn't survive doing that. Having Sterling, the UK can.

A simple answer to that is currency. Being part of the euro, we couldn't survive doing that. Having Sterling, the UK can.
    yes we could, last i checked cigs we'rent 8.50EUR in other european countries and the min price of any semi ok bottle of wine isint 7-8euro, both items of which i buy in bulk when i go up north, i'd have 0 problem buying them here if the prices we're any way similar.

• Advertisement

what do you mean by that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

First of all, if VAT is reduced, will this be passed on to the consumer in all cases or will the retailer simply pocket the difference. e.g. Product costs €1.99, VAT at present is 21.5%, so if VAT is reduced to say 17% is the retailer going to drop the price to €1.90 or keep it at €1.99 and pocket the difference, my money is on the latter in a lot of cases. Best example of this is when the big retailers put pressure on veg growers to reduce their price they didn't always pass this on. Ironically IBEC said it was their right NOT to pass this difference on.

Secondly, a lot of people go north to shop for alcohol. VAT is not the only tax on alcohol, and even if you take all possible taxes off a bottle of beer sold here and up the north, the base price here is a lot more. In other words we are being ripped off.

Thirdly, prices are skewed wrongly at the moment because of the currency difference, was £1 - €1.50, now its usually around €1.10. This is out of our control and something we have to suffer for the meantime.

Fourth. The main retailers don't give a damn where we shop, same difference if we shop in Dunnes in Dublin or Newry, cash/profit ends up in the same company bank a/c at the end of the day. If this means they can squeeze a bit more from the poor sods who cant drive north to do thei shopping every week, then all the better for them. Do you see them complaining?

I feel that wit han introduction of a carbon tax (which is something all parties are in favour of) they should drop the VAT rate as a concession. This remains to be seen.

bijapos wrote: »
    First of all, if VAT is reduced, will this be passed on to the consumer in all cases or will the retailer simply pocket the difference. e.g. Product costs €1.99, VAT at present is 21.5%, so if VAT is reduced to say 17% is the retailer going to drop the price to €1.90 or keep it at €1.99 and pocket the difference, my money is on the latter in a lot of cases. Best example of this is when the big retailers put pressure on veg growers to reduce their price they didn't always pass this on. Ironically IBEC said it was their right NOT to pass this difference on.

Secondly, a lot of people go north to shop for alcohol. VAT is not the only tax on alcohol, and even if you take all possible taxes off a bottle of beer sold here and up the north, the base price here is a lot more. In other words we are being ripped off.

Thirdly, prices are skewed wrongly at the moment because of the currency difference, was £1 - €1.50, now its usually around €1.10. This is out of our control and something we have to suffer for the meantime.

Fourth. The main retailers don't give a damn where we shop, same difference if we shop in Dunnes in Dublin or Newry, cash/profit ends up in the same company bank a/c at the end of the day. If this means they can squeeze a bit more from the poor sods who cant drive north to do thei shopping every week, then all the better for them. Do you see them complaining?

I feel that wit han introduction of a carbon tax (which is something all parties are in favour of) they should drop the VAT rate as a concession. This remains to be seen.
    yep, we're being ripped off bigtime down here, thats why its very important to not shop in any of the retail stores up north that exist down here like Dunnes or Tesco's, stick to Sainsburys or whatever as that will mean a complete loss of sales for Dunnes & Tescos.

what do you mean by that?

Again, to put it simply; they can devalue their currency to pay for a VAT decrease, we cannot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The UK government hasn't really started on the tax increases needed to address their deficit. One belief is that they will have to make VAT there 20%. The Irish government can then bring in a boradly based property tax (already in UK) and reduce VAT to 18%, then traffic in Newry will return to normal.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/nov/08/high-street-retail-vat-20

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

gcgirl wrote: »
    because in Ireland they put the cart in front of the horse! they should drop vat and compete with the north just like any rival business would do!! make them wanna shop in the south!

Eh, VAT is only a very small part of the price difference between North and South. Most of it comes from the weak Sterling and the wage levels of workers in the North being so much cheaper because of this. So long as Sterling is weak we'll have the Newry problem and there's very little that the Government can do about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

i'm confused on this because the uk was faced with the same economic downturn as us but it did the opposite to what our economic brains did.

For the exact same reason Irish publicans raise prices when less people turn up to drink in their pubs/nightclubs.

Crap less people are coming in the door so we are making less money, better raise prices to restore our profits to previous levels. Repeat as necessary.

It just seems to be how many Irish businessmen think. It is also not very intelligent to not even look at why less people are coming in the door. In Ireland's case, the government were left asking people to shop down south to help the country when they were doing half their business with the UK and prices were ridiculously cheaper up north on some items.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

bijapos wrote: »
    First of all, if VAT is reduced, will this be passed on to the consumer in all cases or will the retailer simply pocket the difference

Elementary economics would seem to say that the tax reduction would be split between the retailer (higher revenue) and the shopper (lower price). If VAT is reduced retailers will pocket the difference until such a time as one retailer says "hey, we can afford to reduce our price and undercut our competitors!" This would probably happen quickly, if not instantly. Its to do with market equilibrium, although admittedly Ive only studied it at the most simplistic level. In modeling the €10 travel tax, it was seen that it was split roughly evenly between the airline and the passenger, if I rightly recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Low Energy Eng

I think the only answer to this is it's Ireland :(

I was travelling back and forth to the UK alot for the past 2 years. In their papers the UK government regretted reducing VAT as it had absolutely no effect on consumer spending.

So, the Irish government regretted increasing the VAT rate...

In hindsight, the Irish probably forgot it ever happened and the defecit has been slightly reduced.
    The British government are down in tax incomme and may increase there taxes during their next budget. If this was to happen I'd imagine there are British people complaining sayin "its Britain".
    I think the fact we're part of Europe and the only way we can actually tackle this problem is by reducing ublic wages etc is the quicker & healthier way for the country to get back to proper sustainable growth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

nesf wrote: »
    Eh, VAT is only a very small part of the price difference between North and South. Most of it comes from the weak Sterling and the wage levels of workers in the North being so much cheaper because of this. So long as Sterling is weak we'll have the Newry problem and there's very little that the Government can do about it.

add to that the cost of energy ( thank you average 75k wage in the ESB) and the fact that local authority rates have actually gone up , it isnt really a level playing field between north and south

personally speaking , shopping up north is not something i would do unless i was facing abject poverty , i think its short sighted in the extreme and i think anyone who does it has no business complaining about cuts in child benefit etc , sorry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

sing the VAT rate...

In hindsight, the Irish probably forgot it ever happened and the defecit has been slightly reduced.
    The British government are down in tax incomme and may increase there taxes during their next budget. If this was to happen I'd imagine there are British people complaining sayin "its Britain".
    I think the fact we're part of Europe and the only way we can actually tackle this problem is by reducing ublic wages etc is the quicker & healthier way for the country to get back to proper sustainable growth

Eh the Irish certainly didn't forget it happened. Many shop up north and more again are buying online to escape the vat rate in Ireland particularly on electronic goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

thebman wrote: »
    For the exact same reason Irish publicans raise prices when less people turn up to drink in their pubs/nightclubs.

Crap less people are coming in the door so we are making less money, better raise prices to restore our profits to previous levels. Repeat as necessary.

It just seems to be how many Irish businessmen think. It is also not very intelligent to not even look at why less people are coming in the door. In Ireland's case, the government were left asking people to shop down south to help the country when they were doing half their business with the UK and prices were ridiculously cheaper up north on some items.

Ver true, many companies have done this CIE etc some of the bggest followers of this theroy.
    Were losing money!! No Passengers!! Oh I know what we'll do we'll jack up the prices so that we have even less customers.

Ireland = Economics 101 Failure

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Low Energy Eng

Eh the Irish certainly didn't forget it happened. Many shop up north and more again are buying online to escape the vat rate in Ireland particularly on electronic goods.

The matter hasnt crossed my mind since it really happened. Buying online and up North is something that would happen whether the VAT rates changed or not. Especially during the recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I have very little doubt in my mind that no revenue was lost because of the .5% VAT increase, meaning the .5% increase achieved broadly what it set out to do, that is lessen the effect of a collapse in consumer confidence.

However in the UK the same cannot be said of the 2.5% drop in VAT, as it had nowhere near the desired revenue generating effect, and as such will be undone in January when Alastair Darling gets to give his first budget.

I know it won't technically be his first, but much like Cowen, good ol Gordo will now have to do as his money man tells him if he wants to keep his government afloat, which leads me to believe the UK is going to see even more savage cuts than we are having.

The budgetary cycle is being bounced around there, whereas, hard as it may be to believe, a gradual return to revenue neutral budgets here will put us in a position to see significant differences in the tax take when it is raised at most levels in Budget 2011, whereas this budget aims to reduce costs so that the revenue generated in future will not be cannibalised by a bloated civil service and unrealistic public expectations of a low tax economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

lmimmfn wrote: »
    The sunday times article wasnt a prediction it was more of a 'what could be done'.

They'll need to reduce it, they've priced themselves out of the market on booze and cigs.

Apparently 500million was spent up north this year, and the years not over yet, say its 650million with christmas shopping, with VAT at 22% that take would be 143million lost, however thats only the start of it, if you work out the total from those goods being imported, tax paid on haulage for the goods etc. its probably upwards of 350-400 million lost.

Thats still only half of what they've lost on cigarettes.
    CIGARETTE smuggling is costing the state hundreds of millions of euro in lost levies.

The illegal trade is reaching epidemic proportions and one estimate, for the losses to the exchequer per year by the end of 2010 of excise duties and VAT, has been put at €750 million.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/snqlcwqlau/rss2/#ixzz0Z8EgwEMR

This government are out to destroy us.
    If they don't drop the price, we'll have Al Capone mark 2.0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

A lovely article in the SBP illustrating the profit made in some establishments in town - http://www.sbpost.ie/news/ireland/dublin-hotel-makes-75m-profit-46106.html. But then again the fiqures illustrated are A) a year behind and B) only a point of time analysis. I'd hazard a guess that both places will still manage to make a profit in 09', abeit a smaller one.

How ever what it does illustrate is that during the Celtic Tiger years we over paid for everything and accepted it willingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

It was raised by a mere 0.5%, so unless you're buying a €100,000 Range Rover its not noticeable

The UK drop from 17.5% to 15% was a failure, prices didn't decrease and its going back to 17.5% from January 1st

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

irish_bob wrote: »
    add to that the cost of energy ( thank you average 75k wage in the ESB)

Wages account for about 15% of ESB's expenditure, the cost of energy is set by the regulator, plus they have several competitors if customers aren't happy. It's been covered here many times before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭doc_17

Why did they raise VAT? Because they haven't got a clue, that's why

• Advertisement

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    Thats still only half of what they've lost on cigarettes.

This government are out to destroy us.
    If they don't drop the price, we'll have Al Capone mark 2.0
    i know, but they've completely priced themselves out of the market, ill buy any cheapo cigs and have no problem doing so, theyre stupidly expensive and they're not expensive to make you quit they're expensive just for revenue. I generally buy loads in the north when im up. Id have no probs paying 7 euro down here if they we're that even against 4 euro chinese ones or whatever, just to support the economy, but cmon, lol, 1 pack a day x30 = ~260euro, a year = 3120euro haha, that just insane.

And no comments on 'give up' blah blah blah, not interested in hearing that and its not my point.

Advertisement