Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do bin men still knock looking for money at Christmas?

• 07-12-2009 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭

I remember years ago i opened the door one morning and it was the bin man and he told me he was going to collect the bins. I just said fair play play to ye and went back in. Fúcker woke me up on my first day off work. I didn't know that they knocked on doors looking for money at Christmas. Missed the last two years so not sure if they still do it. Surely with the price of bin tags for the year and people being broke they can't be knocking expecting a tip. Anybody here usually give to them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

if they knock on my door ill feed them to a pack of lions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

If a Bin man comes knocking on my door he will be getting a swift **** Off to the ear drums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Maybe they do but they'll get fcuk all at 'Casa Flutt'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I dispose of my own rubbish into a communal bin-shed-thingy, so will accordingly be awarding myself a large tip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

I remember years ago i opened the door one morning and it was the bin man and he told me he was going to collect the bins. I just said fair play play to ye and went back in.

Do you live in a cave?

I found Osama!! WIN!!!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Last time they knocked into my house my mam went mental at them, is was bloody hilarious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭K-Ren

" But sir, weren't you just given a tip? A RUBBISH tip that is! Chortle! "

Well, I know what I'm going to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

They haven't been round these parts since the bin charges came in.

Safer for them not to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

they never knocked on my door. Cheek of them. Whats wrong with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

il just let the dogs deal with the problem, theyr more than capable of doing so

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭lucky-colm

i'll just tell them i have selotaped something to the bottom of the bin for them and they will find it when "you empty the bin!!!!!! "cnuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

il just let the dogs deal with the problem, theyr more than capable of doing so

Counting out a tip would be beyond the capabilities of most canines, I would have thought?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

They always get a couple of quid at my Mams' house (binmen,postmen etc.)
    I don't ever remember them knocking asking for it,though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

they can knock away..... they will be getting sweet fcuk all tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

Do you live in a cave?

I found Osama!! WIN!!!!! :D

No i have type 2 diabetes. When my blood sugar levels get low i tend to type random words twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭yawn

On my dad's estate for several weeks only a couple of months ago they stopped collecting bins. Council was rang and everyone told they'd be out later today or early tomorrow etc. 2 weeks it took for bins to be emptied. For the whole year they would refuse to take a bin if the lid was not closed firmly. If there was a small bag holding it open they would leave it.

Hope they knock at my dad's door or any neighbours tbh. Such a kick up the hole they deserve.

PS i know they're not all arseholes, the lads down my way are nice enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I never knew they did this cheeky git's, saying that I've never given them the chance to knock I give them and the postman a bottle of paddy and a score every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

wudangclan wrote: »
    They always get a couple of quid at my Mams' house (binmen,postmen etc.)
    I don't ever remember them knocking asking for it,though.

heh heh "salt of the earth type" dummy actually, giving tips to fcuckers better off than her herself.

True blue Doob I would suggest:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

i'll tip them them for doing their job when they tip me for doing my job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

heh heh "salt of the earth type" dummy actually, giving tips to fcuckers better off than her herself.

True blue Doob I would suggest:D:D

South Armagh.She would shudder at the inference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Here's a tip - Don't knock on my fcuking door you scrounger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

My mother used to give the bin men a tin of roses every year without fail
    When the charges and new rules came in and didnt collect her bin one week because her bin lid was not closed all the way down t(aken into account forthnightly collections and 8 people in the house) it was not a pretty sight when they knocked on her door that year

I actually think the binmans ears bled when she was finished

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

My mam used to give them a few quid years ago when they knocked. I always thought it was a bit cheeky tbh. I cant remember them knocking in the last couple of years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

My mam would go out to them and give them money and offer them tea. But them days have long passed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

My dad planned it perfectly last year.

A binman came up to the gaff and knocked on the door, obviously enough looking for a tip. My dad handed him two blacksacks that had been sitting in the shed for a while and smelt like ****e, swiftly closed the door before the binman could even say a word.

The bastard kicked the side of the bags, rupturing them and leaving the ****e for me and my dad to pick up while they drove off in the bin lorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Typical irish way of doing things ,

Tipping for a rubbish service :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

I'l be giving them a tip, and the coal man will be getting one as well. A tenner each they'll be getting!!*

I know they get their wages anyway, but feck it, they both do bloody dirty jobs imo and they deserve it. I wouldn't do what they do, and I don't think most of you here would do it either......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

if a bin man came knocking looking for money i'd tell him to fúck off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

In the old days you took pity on them because they had a dirty job hauling galvanized bins and physically pitching them into the back of a truck. Now days they do F*all a and most get home early because a Wheely bin round takes a fraction of the time.

They are lucky to have a very stable job unlike most of us. Give them nothing and if they toss your bin inside your gate in rage then report them.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

I've got A Brown Bin, A Green Bin and a Black Bin...who the fcuk do I tip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Stingy people!
    It doesn't matter if you pay for your bins or if the county council pays for it (in which case your tax pays for it), they get paid the same either way and a tip at Christmas is deserved.

Lots of folks here saying that they would tell them to "FUuCK off".... really? Are you really so ignorant and rude that you would tell a serviceman on the extreme low end of the scale to **** off? Get a grip.
    Those lads come round collecting your smelly rubbish. All day, 5 days a week. They deserve a tip at christmas FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Spore

el judìo wrote: »
    Stingy people!
    It doesn't matter if you pay for your bins or if the county council pays for it (in which cash your tax pays for it), they get paid the same either way and a tip at Christmas is deserved.

Lots of folks here saying that they would tell them to "FUuCK off".... really? Are you really so ignorant and rude that you would tell a serviceman on the extreme low end of the scale to **** off? Get a grip.
    Those lads come round collecting your smelly rubbish. All day, 5 days a week. They deserve a tip at christmas FFS.

party pooper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

A mate of mine was a bin man in London a few years ago and at Christmas he went knocking on the doors for his Christmas box.

He knocks on this door and John Pertwee answers.

Mate says "Hello Mr Pertwee, I'm your binman and I've just knocked to wish you and yours a merry christmas"

Pertwee takes a moment to twig then says "oh no no I don't subscribe to that sort of thing" and closes the door.

Without missing a beat mate bends down,opens the letterbox and says "why don't you put your generous head on you c*nt!"

True story that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Without missing a beat mate bends down,opens the letterbox and says "why don't you put your generous head on you c*nt!"

True story that.
    Dangerous thing pissing off a Timelord. Even if he moonlights as a scarecrow.

I'l be giving them a tip, and the coal man will be getting one as well. A tenner each they'll be getting!!*

I know they get their wages anyway, but feck it, they both do bloody dirty jobs imo and they deserve it. I wouldn't do what they do, and I don't think most of you here would do it either......

I wheel my bin out to the side of the path and then back in from where they left it further away. They literally wheel most 2 feet and then the truck does the rest. It's far from a dirty job these days. My hands get dirtier from reading a newspaper.

• Advertisement

Stingy people!
    It doesn't matter if you pay for your bins or if the county council pays for it (in which case your tax pays for it), they get paid the same either way and a tip at Christmas is deserved.

While i wouldn't tell them to fúck off i sure as fúck wouldn't be tipping them. The trucks do all the work these days. To me they have a cheek knocking to wish you a happy Christmas for the sole purpose of looking for a tip. Especially when throughout the rest of the year you don't hear shít from them and where i live anyways, the are extremely picky about what they deem to be a collectible bin. If it's too far in the garden they won't collect it. If it's been raining and the name or address got smudged, they don't seem to collect it. Same if the lid is a bit open to squeeze in an extra bag.

Also there are lots of people who provide services in difficult lines of work. Should they be tipped also if they decide to knock on the door?

I think doctors deserve tips more than binmen but I don't think you're allowed tip a doctor

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

i remember a couple of years ago as a kid pretending that we were out when the bin men came to the door asking for money, ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 B.E.S.T.

How about your Postman/woman. Anything for them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

havnt had a binman ever call asking for a tip. but then again if im in the house when they are collecting ill most likely be in bed and i wont be answering that door.

Last December i had a dominos delivery driver actually ask me for a tip.
    I paid my credit card over the phone and he handed me the pizza when i answered the door and was still standing there.

I said i paid by credit card and his response was "ya i know, can i have a tip" no word of a lie.

I said no. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

RMD wrote: »
    My dad planned it perfectly last year.

A binman came up to the gaff and knocked on the door, obviously enough looking for a tip. My dad handed him two blacksacks that had been sitting in the shed for a while and smelt like ****e, swiftly closed the door before the binman could even say a word.

The bastard kicked the side of the bags, rupturing them and leaving the ****e for me and my dad to pick up while they drove off in the bin lorry.

Um what exaclty did you expect him to do ? You pretty much just pissed him off and gave him ammunition - I'm surprised it didn't end up in you post box or on top of the car
    Stingy people!

Low end of the scale ? My understanding was that binman got quite well paid.
    phasers wrote: »
    I think doctors deserve tips more than binmen but I don't think you're allowed tip a doctor

True. But if its a hospital doctor you want to thank you can always make a donation to the ward to buy equipment or leave something for the doctors res for the doctors in general. If its GP you can't really do that I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Postman and binmen get a tip every year. I dont tip the temp postman on for christmas but the guy that calls for the rest of the year.
    great service from binmen during year, no prob collecting exrta bags ect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

Stingy people!

You obviously havnt got a clue how much they get paid...

Also my postman is a jerk, doesn't arrive until 1pm and is very rude. I used to have a really good looking postman who arrived promptly at 8am, then he was replaced with this gammy looking fecker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

My hands get dirtier from reading a newspaper.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I remember my dad telling me about a mate of his who was woken by the binmen ringing the doorbell one Christmas.

He opened his bedroom window and shouted down to them asking, what's the story?

The binmen shouted back up to him " Christmas box".

"Oh grand, that's very nice of ye, just leave it on the doorstop" he says.

Shuts the window and gets back into bed.

True story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

This year as usual, my family will be tipping the milkman, the binmen, and the postman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Another reason we shouldn't tip binmen is because they collaborate with the use of the dreaded lidded wheelie bin. :D

These enclosed bins are responsible for starving our wildlife. Foxes, homeless cats and dogs around the city because they cannot reach in and get scraps of food. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I'd tip them all except for the guy that drives the truck. That truck is always blocking my path. The driver must die.

But, I don't think they'll be knocking at my door due to what happened just before halloween. I was showing my 'soldier' costume to my mate and he opened the front door. The poor binman got a bit of a fright seeing a guy standing in the hallway dressed in full combats, covered in camo paint with an G3-SG1 rifle strapped across his back and an M1911 pistol holstered in his cross-draw vest. I probably shouldn't have said "You didn't see anything" to him in a rather menacing tone either.

But yeah, I'll tip them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Daddy used to bring them in for a little " paddy" as their christmas box. One year we had a bin lorry parked outside for 2 days .........

• Advertisement
Advertisement