Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food stamp program for Ireland

Options
  • 07-12-2009 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭

I believe the Irish government should cut social welfare payments drastically and implement a food stamp program similar to the one currently running in the USA. This would allow the government to free up cash to reduce borrowing and reduce the tax burden on the middle classes. It sickens me that people on social welfare have the money for Sky digital subscriptions, shopping trips to Newry and computers with internet connections to post their drivel on here. It has got to the stage were these people genuinely believe they deserve a reasonable middle-ish class lifestyle at the expense of the state. This may seem harsh to some but it is only fair that people that don't work live in abject poverty and are subjected to all the ills that such a lifestyle predisposes them to. I feel genuine rage that I am paying for other people's way through life; it makes me feel genuinely ill. At the moment the only viable alternative is to move to the US, a country where hard work is rewarded and the poor are left were they belong - in the gutter.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭bean na gaeilge

Totally agree amjon! :D

I am so sick of our country - social welfare is more attractive than going out getting a job - why do we bother when we could have rent paid, fuel allowence and medical cards if we were on the social. I love my job - but is it worth it. I work teaching 5 days a week(temporary job - only started Sept 08), correct copies etc at the weekends, my friends who are drawing social welfare get more than my take home pay a week. They are out every weekend and are never short of money for babysitters, going out, clothes etc! Social Welfare should only give the minimum amount for people to get by. - RANT OVER ONCE AGAIN!! :mad:

Anyway... this way there might be an actual incentive to WORK!!! Food stamps would be a great idea!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

amjon wrote: »
    I believe the Irish government should cut social welfare payments drastically and implement a food stamp program similar to the one currently running in the USA. This would allow the government to free up cash to reduce borrowing and reduce the tax burden on the middle classes. It sickens me that people on social welfare have the money for Sky digital subscriptions, shopping trips to Newry and computers with internet connections to post their drivel on here. It has got to the stage were these people genuinely believe they deserve a reasonable middle-ish class lifestyle at the expense of the state. This may seem harsh to some but it is only fair that people that don't work live in abject poverty and are subjected to all the ills that such a lifestyle predisposes them to. I feel genuine rage that I am paying for other peoples way through life, it makes me feel genuinely ill. At the moment the only viable alternative is to move to the US, a country where hard work is rewarded and the poor are left were they belong - in the gutter.

What sickens me is statements like Ive highlighted above.
    A lot of the new unemployed paid their taxes like yourself for years and IMO are entitled to welfare--most of them dont want to be there but cannot find jobs.

As for whether they belong in the gutter--I actually think the above post should be there in all fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I believe the Irish government should cut social welfare payments drastically and implement a food stamp program similar to the one currently running in the USA. This would allow the government to free up cash to reduce borrowing and reduce the tax burden on the middle classes. It sickens me that people on social welfare have the money for Sky digital subscriptions, shopping trips to Newry and computers with internet connections to post their drivel on here. It has got to the stage were these people genuinely believe they deserve a reasonable middle-ish class lifestyle at the expense of the state. This may seem harsh to some but it is only fair that people that don't work live in abject poverty and are subjected to all the ills that such a lifestyle predisposes them to. I feel genuine rage that I am paying for other peoples way through life, it makes me feel genuinely ill. At the moment the only viable alternative is to move to the US, a country where hard work is rewarded and the poor are left were they belong - in the gutter.
    My god, are you serious? The poor belong in the gutter? What about people who have lost their jobs because of the recession, do they belong in the gutter? Some of these people will find it extremely hard to get work again and they need to be helped back on their feet, not trodden into the ground and treated as unequal. Many of the people on welfare are highly skilled workers who are victims of some very poor management in this country, they have paid their PRSI contributions and contributed to society same as you. Anybody in the private sector unaffected by the recession is very lucky, lets not spit on those that are suffering. True some people abuse our welfare system but they are not a majority. If you ever find yourself out of work will you still think like this, will you refuse to apply for JB on principle?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

At the moment the only viable alternative is to move to the US

With an attitude like that you can run on, you wont be missed here. Wishing "abject poverty" on people who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own is moronic.

The SW system has many flaws, which will be tighten up on over time, hopefully resulting in a system where it benefits the unfortunate people who have been recently unemployed, allowing them time to find new employment without being thrown on the street. But at the same time cutting the career scroungers out to either find a job or fend for themselves.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    A lot of the new unemployed paid their taxes like yourself for years and IMO are entitled to welfare--most of them dont want to be there but cannot find jobs.

As for whether they belong in the gutter--I actually think the above post should be there in all fairness.

Don't get me wrong - I know there are plenty newly unemployed that would prefer to work but there are so many who don't and won't- they enjoy the lifestyle and take anything thats going - some of my friends included!!! Thats what annoys me about it - I could get up in the morning and choose to go on the dole and get my rent allowence, single mothers, fuel etc and I actually would be better off but could not live like that out of choice!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭amjon

I don't have a problem with some sort of safety net. My problem is that the current system allows people too much comfort. If you don't work it should be a case of abject poverty, ie. no TV, computer, microwave ect... It's tough having to go to work everyday but it should be even tougher not to. I know people will throw their hands up in the air and say it's a reccesion ect.. and thats fair enough but you should be given just enough to scrape by.

I am so sick of our country - social welfare is more attractive than going out getting a job - why do we bother when we could have rent paid, fuel allowence and medical cards if we were on the social. I love my job - but is it worth it. I work teaching 5 days a week(temporary job - only started Sept 08), correct copies etc at the weekends, my friends who are drawing social welfare get more than my take home pay a week. They are out every weekend and are never short of money for babysitters, going out, clothes etc! Social Welfare should only give the minimum amount for people to get by. - RANT OVER ONCE AGAIN!! :mad:

Anyway... this way there might be an actual incentive to WORK!!! Food stamps would be a great idea!!
    You must not be doing very many hours if your friends are taking home more than you on welfare. You can be sure however that once you get established in your profession your income will far exceed theirs. If people are happy on welfare then that is very sad, I spent 4 months on the dole myself and hated every minute of it, I cant imagine why anybody would be happy about it, if that is their attitude then just remember that is all they will ever have, your income is likely to be 3-4 times theirs before very long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Daithinski

I believe the Irish government should cut social welfare payments drastically and implement a food stamp program similar to the one currently running in the USA.

If you had any concept of poverty and the differences between relative and absolute poverty you wouldn't come out with statements like this. I recommend you educate yourself. Then you might not be so bitter.

a country where hard work is rewarded

Hard workers in ireland reward was the dole. When they lost their jobs.

and the poor are left were they belong - in the gutter.

IMO People that make comments like this are more suitable candidates for the gutter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

We have one Problem the lack of even min wage jobs!! how is one suppose to get one when they are far n few between??

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Don't get me wrong - I know there are plenty newly unemployed that would prefer to work but there are so many who don't and won't- they enjoy the lifestyle and take anything thats going - some of my friends included!!! Thats what annoys me about it - I could get up in the morning and choose to go on the dole and get my rent allowence, single mothers, fuel etc and I actually would be better off but could not live like that out of choice!!

Listen mate I was nearly there in May this year through absolutely no fault of my own but for someone to make a statement like the OP`s has my blood boiling.I paid my taxes and prsi for the last 17 years since the day I left school,never claimed one penny from the social welfare even though I was entitled to some allowances a few years back (while I was working-but I still never claimed them because I didnt need them) but I`d like to think that if I did loose my job I`d be able to provide for my kids until I found a new job.

Im all for these spongers who have never worked a day in their lives or even tried to find work being thought a hard lesson but the decent person who lost their job through no fault of their own shouldnt be punished for it.

• Advertisement

mickeyk wrote: »
    Some of these people will find it extremely hard to get work again and they need to be helped back on their feet, not trodden into the ground and treated as unequal.

Unequal to what exactly? The status quo? The standard of living that all people have a God-given right to? I'm afraid that’s the problem, words like unequal and fair create lovely shades of grey. It's in these grey areas that allow people to sit in their living rooms all day watching TV and posting nonsense on the web. There should be one flat rate dole payment to supplement food stamps; irrespective of your previous history this is what you get - black and white.

You must not be doing very many hours if your friends are taking home more than you on welfare. You can be sure however that once you get established in your profession your income will far exceed theirs. If people are happy on welfare then that is very sad, I spent 4 months on the dole myself and hated every minute of it, I cant imagine why anybody would be happy about it, if that is their attitude then just remember that is all they will ever have, your income is likely to be 3-4 times theirs before very long

Well the way it is now I have part time hours - the best I could get. I work 5 days - One of my friends between dole and allowences is getting 214 dole, 150 rent allowence, 25 single mothers, 16 fuel and a tank of oil a year, and some other benefit as well as medical card, I am not even clearing 500 a week ..... do not want to give exact amount... its just depressing sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Most people on the dole I know saved their money while they had jobs. Maybe thats why they have the internet, Sky, etc still.

Well the way it is now I have part time hours - the best I could get. I work 5 days - One of my friends between dole and allowences is getting 214 dole, 150 rent allowence, 25 single mothers, 16 fuel and a tank of oil a year, and some other benefit as well as medical card, I am not even clearing 500 a week ..... do not want to give exact amount... its just depressing sometimes!
    you do not get a tank of oil a yr! dole is 204.30 a week!
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Pages/default.aspx
    i'd really wish people would get their fact right before posting!

Listen mate I was nearly there in May this year through absolutely no fault of my own but for someone to make a statement like the OP`s has my blood boiling.I paid my taxes and prsi for the last 17 years since the day I left school,never claimed one penny from the social welfare even though I was entitled to some allowances a few years back (while I was working-but I still never claimed them because I didnt need them) but I`d like to think that if I did loose my job I`d be able to provide for my kids until I found a new job.

Im all for these spongers who have never worked a day in their lives or even tried to find work being thought a hard lesson but the decent person who lost their job through no fault of their own shouldnt be punished for it.

I understand that totally - my parents were both self employed. My mother had a little restaurant in Mayo and it was only open from May to Sept - due to rates etc she had to close. My dad had a C2 and worked harder than anyone I know- both are unemployed now and cannot draw social for a certain period of time - they paid thier taxes all thier lifes and now are struggling badl. I do know where your coming from but I am referring to the people who choose to stay on dole and do not make an effort to get a job! I hope Im getting my point across properly... Im not trying to put down people who lost thier jobs! I agree with amjon ... not his statement about poor in gutter but about food stamps like he mentioned firstly!!

There should be one flat rate dole payment to supplement food stamps; irrespective of your previous history this is what you get - black and white.

Yeah and why not sterilise the poor while we`re at it so they cant add to the burden on the state.Actually lets start euthanising the long term unemployed aswell.

"Sorry mate youve been on the dole for 12 months--have to put you down-youre costing us too much"

Would that satisfy your agenda amjon?

Unequal to what exactly? The status quo? The standard of living that all people have a God-given right to? I'm afraid that’s the problem, words like unequal and fair create lovely shades of grey. It's in these grey areas that allow people to sit in their living rooms all day watching TV and posting nonsense on the web. There should be one flat rate dole payment to supplement food stamps; irrespective of your previous history this is what you get - black and white.
    Unequal to those that are working. Food stamps isn't a bad idea but I still think you are being very cruel and unfair on those that have lost their jobs, it could just as easily have been you. What about a solicitor or some other high earner just after losing their job, they would have paid massive taxes during the boom, just because the gov pi**ed their taxes away does that mean they should now be subjected to poverty?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

The problem is that all these quotes of the benefits to the unemployed apply only to those that sat on their 'holes during the past 10 years, not those on Job Seekers Benefit as opposed to Long Term Job Seekers Assistance, i..e those that lose he Xmas "bonus".

A fairer system would be to apply that that is used in the likes of Holland where you receive 80% of your salary for the first 6 months, thus recompensing those that have paid more taxes to be supplemented more when unemployed in the short term.

gcgirl wrote: »
    you do not get a tank of oil a yr! dole is 204.30 a week!
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Pages/default.aspx
    i'd really wish people would get their fact right before posting!

204 sorry I posted 214 - My friend has got a fuel benefit for the last three years - first one was a tonne of coal and the last two years her oil tank filled .... No Lie!!! and still gets 16 euro a week for fuel... presume thats ESB????

I paid my taxes and prsi for the last 17 years since the day I left school,never claimed one penny from the social welfare even though I was entitled to some allowances a few years back

Glad to hear it, however if a system was to be introduced whereby dole payment were cut then PRSI payments would be lower and/ or other public services would be improved. My original post was not designed to insult or provoke you in anyway, it was simply a forthright expression of my view on how people who spend extended time on social welfare should feel.

• Advertisement

204 sorry I posted 214 - My friend has got a fuel benefit for the last three years - first one was a tonne of coal and the last two years her oil tank filled .... No Lie!!! and still gets 16 euro a week for fuel... presume thats ESB????

there is no such thing you get 20 a week or whatever thats it! its prob off the SVP??

There is nothing wrong with 500 a week when you are just qualified out of college IMO. I really think people need to readjust their expectations when entering the workforce, it is now an employers market and we will all be earning a bit less from now on, at least you are building a career unlike your unemployed friends.

was simply a forthright expression of my view on how people who spend extended time of social welfare should feel.

Theres plenty of professionals who are now spending extended time(actually define that for me can you--12 months,18 months??) on the social welfare and who paid massive amounts of tax in the boom years and now cant find alternate employment--should they be punished?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

gcgirl wrote: »
    there is no such thing you get 20 a week or whatever thats it! its prob off the SVP??

It's from the State: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/extra-social-welfare-benefits/fuel_allowance

There is nothing wrong with 500 a week when you are just qualified out of college IMO. I really think people need to readjust their expectations when entering the workforce, it is now an employers market and we will all be earning a bit less from now on, at least you are building a career unlike your unemployed friends.

Didn't say I was on 500 - didn't want to say how much.Would prefer not to. It isn't 450 either.... and I have taken two cuts since I started.... income levy and pension levy and have no job security.

Yeah and why not sterilise the poor while we`re at it so they cant add to the burden on the state.Actually lets start euthanising the long term unemployed aswell.

"Sorry mate youve been on the dole for 12 months--have to put you down-youre costing us too much"

Would that satisfy your agenda amjon?

I fail to see how you could have linked food stamps and reduced social welfare payments to state sponsored sterilization and genocide??? Your hysterical accusations only detract from your previous posts and in all honesty make you look a little dim. Why don't you go get a cup of tea and come back when you have something meaningful to contribute to this thread? If this is beyond you then perhaps the chaps on this board would like to hear about this great conspiracy: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576

nesf wrote: »

yes exactly what i said you get 20 a week fuel allowance, you dont get coal or oil put in to your tank along with 20 euro a week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭teddy_303

your comments are offensive in the extreme to me OP. I sincerely with you to get your P45 this x mas, as I did last. You need to learn a lesson in this regard, and get to experience the undignified soulless existence SW offers. Had a year of it now, and god knows when it will end. Bah Humbug to you and yours. Perhaps with your lack of job security you will get to join the ranks of others to enjoy the perceived good life you condemn so readily.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

This thread deserves the most serious of replies.

Woozle Wuzzle!

I'm sure the OP put just as much effort into thinking out their argument as I did into my reply.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement