Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Graphics Card Hardware problem

• 07-12-2009 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

I recently installed a new gfx card to enable dual monitor output, however now anytime i put the cpu under stress, my pc screen goes black, comes back, goes black again, repeats this process then blue screens, any help please?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,015 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

We need to know more about your machine, What is the new Graphics Card model? What kind of power supply do you have and how many watts does it put out? What type of processor do you have?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Are you running Vista or Windows 7 by any chance? It sounds similar to the atikmdag.sys/TRD issue.

That said, more info on your system would be useful. Processor type, motherboard, Windows version (including service pack level), graphics adapter & driver for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭riddik

how do i locate this power supply info? yeah thats defo the problem, atikmdag, it says that wen it does this, good spot, thanks! i run vista and the new card is ASUS Radeon HD 4350, sound for the replies lads

ive read this page and im still uncertain how to proceed, i think i mite try this hotfix [KB933590 Hotfix (display flickers and become corrupted on a Windows Vista-based computer that is connected to more than one monitor)] but it seems to be aimed at flight sim wen i go to the microsoft site, any suggestions greatly appreciated, i also hav the memory dumps wen windows crashes if they help?

thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,015 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

well its simple really :) you just look at the back of your PC and, there it is. At worst its printed inside the case on the CPU.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

riddik wrote: »
    how do i locate this power supply info? yeah thats defo the problem, atikmdag, it says that wen it does this, good spot, thanks! i run vista and the new card is ASUS Radeon HD 4350, sound for the replies lads

ive read this page and im still uncertain how to proceed, i think i mite try this hotfix [KB933590 Hotfix (display flickers and become corrupted on a Windows Vista-based computer that is connected to more than one monitor)] but it seems to be aimed at flight sim wen i go to the microsoft site, any suggestions greatly appreciated, i also hav the memory dumps wen windows crashes if they help?

thanks again

I've been looking into the atikmdag.sys issue as I've been having it on my home system since I installed Windows 7. I originally had a fairly old card (Powercolor Radeon 9600 Pro) that had the problem and assumed it was a driver issue, but I recently chucked in a Sapphire Radeon HD 3450 and the exact same issue happens. There seem to be a few variations on the problem, enough to suggest it's not just one fudged driver but a problem with how the Vista/Win7 OS interacts with the display driver, probably compounded by less-than-stellar driver quality as Win7 is only recently out.

Which is a long way of saying there's no one guaranteed fix.

You'll probably have to take the case off your PC to find out the power supply details - it's the box where your power lead is connected. You should have a manufacturer name and model number, along with a power rating in Watts written in there. The documentation for your card should specify the minimum power rating required for your graphics card, so check that and compare it to your actual power supply rating. I don't think power is going to be the issue here but it might be contributing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement