Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slug in my shed.

• 07-12-2009 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

My shed is made out of breezeblocks - there are gaps in the cement where critters can enter and put up home, a big slug lives in one of them, every night at about 1am he crawles out of the hole and down and across to the cats bowl and feeds on the remains of cat food, then he crawls back up to the whole and dissapears until the next day.

I wouldn't have guessed slugs have memory but there you go :).
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

MooseJam wrote: »
    My shed is made out of breezeblocks - there are gaps in the cement where critters can enter and put up home, a big slug lives in one of them, every night at about 1am he crawles out of the hole and down and across to the cats bowl and feeds on the remains of cat food, then he crawls back up to the whole and dissapears until the next day.

I wouldn't have guessed slugs have memory but there you go :).
    I think they can smell cat-food/any food a mile away!

Since about last April one solitary slug has lived in a floor vent in our sitting room. Almost every morning I'd find his little shiny tracks around the vent sometimes wandering 2ft or further from the vent. I can only assume he arrived in the house on some wood for the fire last winter, and apart from the odd fly that died on the window and fell near the vent I've really no idea how he survived.
    Curiousity got me in the end and I discovered that his prowling time was between 5am and 6:15am. :rolleyes:
    I rehomed him to the greenhouse, cooler temps but access to a LOT more food, I expect by now he's doubled in size!

Yah, by now you've guessed I don't hate slugs! Very interesting little creatures, I never do anything to deter them in the garden, and they do little or no damage to everything I grow. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Rancid wrote: »
    Yah, by now you've guessed I don't hate slugs! Very interesting little creatures, I never do anything to deter them in the garden, and they do little or no damage to everything I grow. :)
    Try telling that to the several hundred, even thousands, that invade my garden every year and cover my plants and herbs with their slime. Horrible, horrible things ... thank god for beer traps and salt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭Fredrick

Alun wrote: »
    Try telling that to the several hundred, even thousands, that invade my garden every year and cover my plants and herbs with their slime. Horrible, horrible things ... thank god for beer traps and salt.

The poor slugs. We had a few in our second story bathroom twice during last summer which was weird cause they would have to climb up the house and in the window. Recently i had slug trails over my coat which was hangin on the back of the seat in my van and along the roof inside, the other half was gong banana's about it. :D

They don't seem to eat my herbs, I've coriander, mint, spearmint, lemon balm, curry plant, a few different sages, fennel and plain old parsley all thriving and showing no signs of damage. Also had a great crop of courgettes this year and no damage done.
    That's all I can say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Don't waste good beer on slugs:eek:

You need a hedgehog or two to control them.

• Advertisement

Fredrick wrote: »
    The poor slugs. We had a few in our second story bathroom twice during last summer which was weird cause they would have to climb up the house and in the window. Recently i had slug trails over my coat which was hangin on the back of the seat in my van and along the roof inside, the other half was gong banana's about it. :D
    It's unusual enough for them to climb that high, snails will, but slugs rarely do. Perhaps they climbed up inside a drain pipe? They don't much like light, at all.
    In the van, I'd say they just hitched a ride in on some equipment you were using or on your boots and then set up home!

Don't waste good beer on slugs:eek:
    I don't ... Lidl's cheapest, they love it :D
    You need a hedgehog or two to control them.
    I would, but unfortunately our back garden is walled in in all sides, so there'd be no through route for them (they like to wander). We had one in our other house where all the back gardens were open, with only hedges and fences between them, and regularly saw a hedgie walking across the lawn, always following the same route. No slug problem there :)

When they're 'in season' I can easily fill 4 slug traps every night with the damn things, there's that many of them, it's like a plague I tell you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Poor slugs have it hard enough without traps, every journey could be their last if the sun comes out. Have to say I feel bad for them especially when you see one shriveled up on a sunny day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

My old collie used to eat them. He loved them. Used to try and stop him but no hope.

PS. They crunch when he chewed them:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭ODD-JOB

I've gone one further , I have been feeding a group of slugs for years .they live deep in a crack on the patio .
    They got a great sense of smell !!

I like them :)

• Advertisement

You're all mad ... mad, I tell you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Slugs? Pah! You ‘aint seen a slug until you’ve seen some of the monster specimens in the woods above Vancouver BC. Huge fat things – would scare the bejaysus out of a one of our own hedgehogs. And come complete in military style camouflage…

Good thing I don’t suffer from Gastrophobia (or would that be Molluscophobia?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

A friend of mine tells the story of how her daughter (aged 2 at the time) walked in from the garden one day, handed her half a slug, and said: "Yuk!"
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

dogmatix wrote: »
    Good thing I don’t suffer from Gastrophobia (or would that be Molluscophobia?).

Fear of Slugs is Limaxaphobia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Would they follow their own slimetrails the way ants mark their routes/communicate with chemicals.

Regarding the beer traps, at least they die happy ;)

dogmatix wrote: »
    Slugs? Pah! You ‘aint seen a slug until you’ve seen some of the monster specimens in the woods above Vancouver BC. Huge fat things – would scare the bejaysus out of a one of our own hedgehogs. And come complete in military style camouflage…
    ... or Banana Slugs in the pacific states like Northern California / Washington State. They're monsters too, up to 25cm in length. Horrible things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

If they would eat weeds and leave our flowers and vegetables alone, we would love them too......

Advertisement