Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Get stuff off a laptop harddrive???

• 07-12-2009 9:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, wondering if anyone can help me.

My laptop went to the great clouds recentley, and iwas abkle to get my hard drive back. The question is, how do i get my music, pics and movies etc off this hard drive onto a desktop one for example??

I have just the hard drive, no enclosure or power source or anything....

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

2 ways you can do this:

1 - Give it to a computer shop and they'll copy your stuff to a DVD(s) Some may rip you off.

or

2 - Get your hands on something like this:
    sata-2-hard-drive-adapter-usb2.jpg

You plug your hdd into it, conect it via USB and it'll be seen as a Removable Disk Drive (Like plugging in yer memory stick.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Oh.... any idea what one of those gidgets is called??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭dwayman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭budgemook

would a case not be a better option? Then it would be just like a portable usb hard drive. Nice and sturdy/portable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

OLDER PCS use IDE drives ,if laptop is dual core the drive is sata.
    Buy a usb SATA drive caddy 25euro.Peats or maplins.
    PUT some tape on the pcb circuit board to stop pcb short circuiting on the metal case.
    Google sata interface picture ,ide interface pic if you are not sure.Do not touch the hd circuit board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Or, without buying anything apart from an SATA cable (if you dont have one), just open your case and plug it in.

It will show up as an extra drive in Windows Explorer.

Your Power Supply inside your PC if its relatively modern (i.e. within the last 3 years or so) should have a spare SATA power connector. You'll have to have a spare SATA data cable to connect it to your motherboard - very simple to do.

In this article, you will see what an SATA connector looks like, and the cable (easily distinguishable from IDE - IDE cable is a wide flat ribbon cable and connector, around 2.5" wide).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA

Advertisement