Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

library entrance/exit security

• 07-12-2009 9:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭

Since when can you just walk into the library without swiping your card? Or was it always that way? I see the security hatch has been blocked up. Where's security now?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

Since I came in in 2007 it's been like that. Security is pretty lax too, I've gone out countless times with the sensors beeping but they never came out to me. Not to condone it, but if you planned it well it'd be ridiculously easy to rob books out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I don't remember ever having to swipe a card, when it opened I remember the distinction between UL and UCC/UCG, where you might be asked to produce a card. The security desk is still there behind the window at the exit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

like sceptre i don't remember ever having had to swipe my card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

They do call you over but if you ignore them (I haven't other people have) they don't do anything about it. What's really annoying is how it beeps every five seconds but apparently when you're checking out books with the self service you need to make sure the spine brushes up against the side because that's where the magnets are!! I've never had any trouble since. :3

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭whitey21

I have seen people being id'ed on the way in before! It was on back about 3 years ago...not too sure why...but the other time they were doing it was that school kids were usin the library to study for their leavin cert

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

I haven't been to the library since last May or so, but there was no thing to swipe your id cards.
    Have they introduced this? Sure will put off a lot of leaving Cert's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 onedoubleo

The only time I have seen them ask for ID cards a lot is when the mocks are on and the place just fills with secondary schools students.

And I have seen on loads of occasions when people make the sensor go off and they look around for two seconds then leave. The sensor works by charging a metal rod inside the book so if you don't fully charge it(by using the magnets) then it will go off. The self check out computer screen tells you this but people don't read whats in front of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

So would people prefer having to swipe in and out???

Advertisement