Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upgrading pumped electic shower

Options
  • 07-12-2009 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi,

I've an pumped electric shower (i.e. it doesn't heat the water, just
    pumps it) which I'd like to replace with a model which does heat the
    water so I don't have to run the gas boiler to heat the cyclinder.

I know in the past that showers which heated water needed a special
    cable/circuit breaker - is that still the case ?

The current shower doesn't have a special breaker, and the cable
    itself seems to be the same that would be used for sockets etc.
    Would that be sufficient ? Obviously before I do any work I'll get
    a sparks to have a look, but I was wondering even in theory is
    what I want possible ?

Thanks !

Butters.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

I have a pumped electric shower which heats the water too, and it has got serious cabling, much heavier duty than what you describe. As well, it does have it's own breaker on the board, and a separate switch outside the bathroom. So yeah, it might need a little work to pull some cable to sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Yes it is possible your electrician will run a new heavier cable, fit a switch and fit a dedicated 40A breaker at the consumer unit, quite an easy job I'd say.

You probably know already but you will also need to change your water supply to the shower too. Pumped electric showers are fed from a cold water supply from a tank in the attic, they must not to be connected to your hot water cyclinder, so there may be a bit of plumbing to be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Yes it is possible your electrician will run a new heavier cable, fit a switch and fit a dedicated 40A breaker at the consumer unit, quite an easy job I'd say.

You probably know already but you will also need to change your water supply to the shower too. Pumped electric showers are fed from a cold water supply from a tank in the attic, they must not to be connected to your hot water cyclinder, so there may be a bit of plumbing to be done.

wouldnt there be a cold water supply at the existing pumped shower!:rolleyes: and just blank off the hot water supply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

stag39 wrote: »
    wouldnt there be a cold water supply at the existing pumped shower!:rolleyes: and just blank off the hot water supply.

Yes there is a cold water supply but it is usually a little lower down so it just needs to be raised up slightly. Another problem with this cold supply it is usually taken from the same cold supply as the taps. This is a mistake to use in a pumped electric shower.. Its far safer to take a new dedicated supply thus ensuring the shower is not starved of water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

Yes there is a cold water supply but it is usually a little lower down so it just needs to be raised up slightly. Another problem with this cold supply it is usually taken from the same cold supply as the taps. This is a mistake to use in a pumped electric shower.. Its far safer to take a new dedicated supply thus ensuring the shower is not starved of water.

as far as i am aware both types need a dedicated cold water supply taken from the water tank in the attic, to ensure good supply and eliminate scalding (if it was taken off an undedicated supply)

• Advertisement

as far as i am aware both types need a dedicated cold water supply taken from the water tank in the attic, to ensure good supply and eliminate scalding (if it was taken off an undedicated supply)

With respect your actually answering your own question and contradicting yourself in one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 DS Plumbing

Hi,

I've an pumped electric shower (i.e. it doesn't heat the water, just
    pumps it) which I'd like to replace with a model which does heat the
    water so I don't have to run the gas boiler to heat the cyclinder.

I know in the past that showers which heated water needed a special
    cable/circuit breaker - is that still the case ?

The current shower doesn't have a special breaker, and the cable
    itself seems to be the same that would be used for sockets etc.
    Would that be sufficient ? Obviously before I do any work I'll get
    a sparks to have a look, but I was wondering even in theory is
    what I want possible ?

Thanks !

Butters.

Get a sparks in to run the new cable and install a pull cord or cooker switch,for the new shower your using(ie a triton t90 or the likes) you will need an independant cold feed from the attic tank in 1/2'' pipe and blank off the existing hot pipe also

David @ DS Plumbing & Heating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 butterfingers

Thanks for all for the advice ! Something to mull over during christmas :)

Butters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

TBH its probably cheaper to keep the shower you have atm , and if you go for a pumped electric shower the pressure from it will be ****e once you turn up the temperature on it

TBH its probably cheaper to keep the shower you have atm , and if you go for a pumped electric shower the pressure from it will be ****e once you turn up the temperature on it

True and the pressure is actually worse in the winter as the shower has to work hard with the water being colder in the tank. But as noted there is not many options available.

I once heard an electrician argue that every house should be fitted with a second tank in the hot press to store just enough water for a shower at room temperature.Kinda shapped like a long skinny sasuage. It would save you money on heating water as litte hot would only need to be added. In the winter no hot would be needed and it the summer it would be nice and cool it would also give the shower its dedicated supply with could be filtered. The theory is good. The practicality is not and a pumped electric shower although works with little or no pressure this would prob be poor pressure for it,

Another possible way around this would be a T80 connected to the attic tank with a t450 booster pump. As the t80 is solely heating the water and the pump is pumping there is less noise and strain within the shower houseing. Howver this makes the T80 a very expensive shower to cut down on noise and although triton use the T450I they try and limit it as if there is a pump failure or water problems it causes pressure on the shower.

However with an attic conversion this is the only option....Heated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement