Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling with Guinea Pigs

Options
  • 07-12-2009 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    My GF has accepted a job in Germany and would like to bring her 2 guinea pigs with her. I'm finding it difficult to find any info regarding the procedures regarding this and even if it is possible.
    Does anybody here have any experience or ideas???

Cheers

HB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I don't know what airlines take them but I adopted a rabbit out a few years ago and the rabbit was allowed to fly I think in a carrier on the seat beside her if I remember correctly, that was to France but have also had a couple bring their rabbits from Ireland to Germany although not sure if that was by plane was a while ago.

Either way ideally not in the hold where it can be cold etc.

Have you contacted the airlines directly?
    Also perhaps ask on here in case anyone has travelled with their pigs before
    http://www.irishguineapigs.proboards.com/index.cgi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 hunterpetz

hi

hope this advice helps.

you need to contact the department of agriculture tell them you are hoping to transport 2 guinea pigs to Germany whats the process & will you need a pet passport. more often then not small pets are not deemed as a treat to a new country & so you can take them in a airline approved carrier or if your traveling over land via car put them in their cage whilst you drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Do you need a pet passport for guinea pigs, since they don't get vaccinations generally etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 hunterpetz

i was told if i wanted to take my pig on holiday to Spain due to new eu animal movement acts that most if not all pets need passports. would get it checked out anyways & GET IN WRITING proof wether you need one or not so you can show a offical letter from the dep.of.agri to anyone bothering you on your travels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 manofmoynalty

Yes they can be transported by most airlines. I do suggest you bear in mind that they do have a high fatality rate when being transported. Flying is the safest though
    I see a post above mentioning to carry them in the cabin. This is not the best way at all as most animals cannot rest in the cabin. Cargo hold is ideal as they nearly always sleep.
    I ship animals every day of the week for a living and have shipped guinea pigs before. Lufthansa can ship these into Germany any day of the week and they also have a special live animal area
    Only a health cert issued by a vet within 10 days of arrival should suffice.

drop me a mail if you need any more info

• Advertisement
Advertisement