Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

go go pets, possible danger?

Options
  • 07-12-2009 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

hi all,

managed to pick up a mr. squiggles go go pet for the sister for christmas yesterday, then today caught wind of this story: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20091207/tuk-go-go-hamsters-poison-scare-amid-chr-dba1618.html
    Consumer watchdogs tested the £10 electronic pet for dangerous chemicals and found traces of antimony, which is similar to arsenic, beyond permitted levels.
    The chemical is restricted to 60 parts per million because it can cause headaches and dizziness.
    But 93 parts per million were discovered in the fur of the Mr Squiggles version - and 106 parts per million in its nose. The findings, by US consumer group Good Guide, immediately sparked safety concerns.
    The American firm behind the toys refused to issue a recall, insisting Go Go Hamsters - called Zhu Zhu Pets in the US - were safe.
    Good Guide analysed three Mr Squiggles. Dara O'Rourke, associate professor of environmental science at the University of California in Berkeley, said each was tested several times. The results condemned the toy, aimed at three to ten-year-olds, to a rating of just 5.2 on Good Guide's ten-point safety scale.

just wondering what people think i should do? should i go up to smyths and demand my money back (could see this as an issue, but im sure i could get them to take it back on the grounds that it is unfit for sale as it contains to high a permitted level of toxins)

or should i just give it to her anyway, i mean the toy doesnt even have twice the level of permitted poison in it. I'm in two minds about the whole thing, what does everyone else here think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

This was mentioned on the radio yesterday, and the presenter said that the scientists had made a mistake and the toy was not harmful after all. I can't remember which station or which show, maybe it was Gerry Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

By the way, what I heard mentioned on the radio yesterday was "Go Go Hamsters". I presume that's the same toy that you are talking about.

Advertisement