Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going Rogue

Options
  • 07-12-2009 10:15pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Sarah Palin is traveling America book signing her memoir "Going Rogue." Book reviews are in, and the origin of her book title speaks volumes:

"Going Rogue, the title of Sarah Palin's erratic new memoir, comes from a phrase used by a disgruntled McCain aide to describe her going 'off-message' during the presidential campaign..."

"The most sustained and vehement barbs in this book are directed not at Democrats or liberals or the news media, but at the McCain campaign..."

Source: http://www.mercurynews.com/entertainment/ci_13902126?source=rss

It would appear that Palin continues to drive the wedge between her and the McCain camp within the Republican party?

Of course you would expect that Rush Limbaugh on his show would call the Palin memoir "one of the most substantive policy books I've read."

Source: http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/200911130014

"As with other stops on Palin's tour to promote her book, Going Rogue, the event was tightly controlled, with photographers allowed in briefly and reporters banned."

Source: http://www.philly.com/inquirer/world_us/78665267.html

If you were promoting your book, why would you have "reporters banned?" Worries about how a Katie Couric-like interview sequel might soften book sales, or future presidential aspirations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Oh I think its fairly obvious the Wasilla Woman doesn't have the stones needed for Limelight. In fact I wonder why she went on this book tour at all. Should have stayed at home.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Overheal wrote: »
    Oh I think its fairly obvious the Wasilla Woman doesn't have the stones needed for Limelight. In fact I wonder why she went on this book tour at all. Should have stayed at home.
    Could it be that the book publisher gave her a $5 million USD advance?

Palin wrote:
    "If God had not intended for us to eat animals? how come He made them out of meat?" - Sarah Palin
    Seriously>?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

If you were promoting your book, why would you have "reporters banned?"

Geee… I can’t understand why as the media treated her sooooo fairly during and after the campaign. :rolleyes:

All I know is that if Barack Obama's past had been subjected to even one tenth of the scrutiny during his candidacy by the media as did Sarah Palin, Obama would probably still be a junior senator from Illinois, and Hillary Clinton would have been the Democratic nominee.

Why in the world would jourlanists care about the following when there were unanswered belly bump questions surrounding Palin?

1. Why won’t Obama allow the public to see his doctor-generated, hospital-released birth certificate?
    2. Was Obama officially adopted by his Muslim stepfather when he lived in Indonesia with his mother and stepfather, from the ages of approximately 6 to 10 years old?
    3. Did Obama ever renounce his U.S. passport? Has Obama ever traveled internationally on a passport other than a U.S. State Department-issued passport?
    4. Did Obama travel to Pakistan as a student on a U.S. passport, or on an Indonesian passport? Why did Obama travel to Pakistan, who did he visit there and what was the purpose of the trip?
    5. How did Obama pay his tuition at the exclusive high school preparatory Punahou Academy he attended in Hawaii, as well as his college tuition at Occidental in California and at Columbia at New York?
    6. How did Obama pay his tuition at Harvard Law School?
    7. Why will Obama release none of the school records at any of the schools he attended?
    8. Obama’s school records in Indonesia show that at both the Catholic and public school he attended there he was registered as a “Muslim” and an “Indonesian Citizen.” Was Obama ever officially instructed in Islam, even in elementary school?
    9. Why has Obama refused to discuss the clients he served when he worked for the law firm of Davis Miner Barnhill & Galland in Chicago?
    10. Did Obama ever receive any money from the millions Rezko borrowed to redevelop the low-income housing projects in Chicago that Rezko evidently defrauded of the improvements contracted by Obama's firm?
    11. Has Obama’s campaign instituted sufficient fiscal controls to determine if any credit card contributions made to his 2008 presidential campaign have come illegally from foreign sources? Have any such foreign contributions been reported to Federal Election Commission authorities and returned, as required by federal law?
    12. Has Obama ever renounced black liberation theology as espoused by its chief apologist, James Cone?
    13. Why have the detailed minutes and funding activities of the Woods Fund and the Annenberg Challenge documents in which William Ayers and Barack Obama participated never been completely released to the public?

Here is a picture I took last fall during a campaign rally I attended.

Palin.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Pocono Joe wrote: »
    Geee… I can’t understand why as the media treated her sooooo fairly during and after the campaign.
    The Charlie Gibson and Katie Couric news anchor interviews were very straight forward when viewing them, and later reading the transcripts. There were no trick questions, just poor answers by Sarah Palin, that later fueled criticism of her qualifications for the 2nd highest office in the nation.

Before she was nominated for VP (which was a big surprise nationally at the time), she had already drawn adverse media attention in both Alaska and in the national press over her strong support to spend hundreds millions of dollars in highway funds for "The Bridge to Nowhere" (later she flip-flop against it after adverse national press). Further, she was being investigated by a bi-partisan committee of the Alaska legislature, and challenged by the Alaska media in the summer before the election for Trooper Gate, where she was accused of using her power as Governor to intervene in a family domestic dispute between her sister and her trooper husband. Both these scandals had been in full swing before anyone knew she was to be nominated for VP.

After her VP nomination she did things that would draw media attention to any candidate for high office, not just her. For example, her very public spending spree ($150,000 Republican donated campaign funds) at the most expensive and posh stories in America, spending $75,000 in one day at Neiman Marcus for clothing and accessories was an exercise in good judgment for someone attempting to send the message of fiscal responsibility to the American public? Or was this amateurish and helped contribute to the split between her and the McCain camp (mentioned in her book)?

This book is not about Obama's qualifications, but rather Sarah Palin's? So the long list of claims delineated by you about Obama is moot?

Part of the qualifications for high office in this country is an ability to handle the mass media? Did she do that well? In her book, Palin blames the McCain team for her poor showing with the media?

• Advertisement

Geee… I can’t understand why as the media treated her sooooo fairly during and after the campaign. :rolleyes:

All I know is that if Barack Obama's past had been subjected to even one tenth of the scrutiny during his candidacy by the media as did Sarah Palin, Obama would probably still be a junior senator from Illinois, and Hillary Clinton would have been the Democratic nominee.

Why in the world would jourlanists care about the following when there were unanswered belly bump questions surrounding Palin?

1. Why won’t Obama allow the public to see his doctor-generated, hospital-released birth certificate?
    2. Was Obama officially adopted by his Muslim stepfather when he lived in Indonesia with his mother and stepfather, from the ages of approximately 6 to 10 years old?
    3. Did Obama ever renounce his U.S. passport? Has Obama ever traveled internationally on a passport other than a U.S. State Department-issued passport?
    4. Did Obama travel to Pakistan as a student on a U.S. passport, or on an Indonesian passport? Why did Obama travel to Pakistan, who did he visit there and what was the purpose of the trip?
    5. How did Obama pay his tuition at the exclusive high school preparatory Punahou Academy he attended in Hawaii, as well as his college tuition at Occidental in California and at Columbia at New York?
    6. How did Obama pay his tuition at Harvard Law School?
    7. Why will Obama release none of the school records at any of the schools he attended?
    8. Obama’s school records in Indonesia show that at both the Catholic and public school he attended there he was registered as a “Muslim” and an “Indonesian Citizen.” Was Obama ever officially instructed in Islam, even in elementary school?
    9. Why has Obama refused to discuss the clients he served when he worked for the law firm of Davis Miner Barnhill & Galland in Chicago?
    10. Did Obama ever receive any money from the millions Rezko borrowed to redevelop the low-income housing projects in Chicago that Rezko evidently defrauded of the improvements contracted by Obama's firm?
    11. Has Obama’s campaign instituted sufficient fiscal controls to determine if any credit card contributions made to his 2008 presidential campaign have come illegally from foreign sources? Have any such foreign contributions been reported to Federal Election Commission authorities and returned, as required by federal law?
    12. Has Obama ever renounced black liberation theology as espoused by its chief apologist, James Cone?
    13. Why have the detailed minutes and funding activities of the Woods Fund and the Annenberg Challenge documents in which William Ayers and Barack Obama participated never been completely released to the public?

Here is a picture I took last fall during a campaign rally I attended.

Palin.jpg
    It really comes down to what you want in a President. If you're deathly concerned that Obama is a secret muslim born not of this country, by all means you should have chosen palin. But I would have preferred someone who can answer simple questions like "Which newspapers do you read" without becoming a babbling mess.

Of course I guess by your logic you would never wish to see Schwarzenegger as a president in any Future.

When I was feeling pressure socially or at school while growing up, my Galway Gran used to quote with a wry grin, "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen!"

Sarah Palin has held only two high pressure public offices during her career, Alaska commissioner of oil and gas, and Governor of Alaska (mayor of tiny Wasilla was a piece of cake). She quit her commissioner job after only one year, and quit governor halfway through the first term. Both occurred suddenly, without advance notice. Why so sudden?

The suddenness when resigning as governor, which had surprised her own Republican supporters when it occurred, has not been adequately explained by Palin? Perhaps it got too hot in the kitchen?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Ah come on PJ. You will have to try harder than that to get a rise out of us. Anyway this is a political forum not a conspiracy forum. Some of those questions are just well looney.
    Anyway can you comment on this topic without having to reference Obama. ;)

Palin just wants her money and is trying to extend her 15 minutes of fame for as long as possible. If that leads to a run for the GOP nomination than fair enough, after all there will be another book to write. If it doesnt well see can retire on her earnings. Fair play is what I say but try not to pretend it is otherwise.

Wrong jank, all apropos to the question asked, of which I responded to.

And 15 minutes of fame??? Who is being a goober now?

I apologize for Jank: Replace "15 Minutes of Fame" with the phrase "$5 Million Advance" from the woman whom in her own book claims to lead a Frugal Lifestyle when the evil GOP isnt putting her into designer clothes. Shame on you GOP!

• Advertisement

Lookie, lookie… much more than just selling a bookie!

Oh the humanity! Sarah Palin’s approval rating is now only 1 point away from Barack Obama’s approval rating (46% vs 47%). So either she is doing something very right, or Obama is doing something terribly wrong. Luckily, Obama’s approval can only side a few more points before he hits bottom and no longer "statistically" has any favorable approval from Republicans or Independents.

Let the Prozac begin for those afflicted by PDS. Not bad… not bad at all Sarah!

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2009/12/sarah-palin-barack-obama-poll-gap-narrows.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

They didn't laugh in her face. In the circumstances, thats good going.
    All I know is (......) the public?

If the answer to every single one of those questions is "Yes, Obama is an indonesian Sunni Jihadist who eats children", Sarah Palin still won't be any smarter, more informed or suitable for office than she is now. His demerits don't give her merits.....

Nodin wrote: »
    If the answer to every single one of those questions is "Yes, Obama is an indonesian Sunni Jihadist who eats children", Sarah Palin still won't be any smarter, more informed or suitable for office than she is now. His demerits don't give her merits.....

Never meant to. All I did was point out the failures, hypocrisy and rabid vitriol of the so-called “reporters” during the campaign. Although a 1% increase point in the polls and the American people might just think she is every bit as qualified to be our President. ;)

(And Schwarzenegger cannot be our President, and shouldn't be, according to our Constitution)

Although a 1% increase point in the polls and the American people might just think she is every bit as qualified to be our President.
    You realise Popularity and Job Approval rating are Apples and Tig Welders?

You realise Popularity and Job Approval rating are Apples and Tig Welders?

Yup, I don't think the people are responding to someone's hairsytle when these questions are put to them about political figures like Sarah Palin, Barack Obama, Joe Biden and Dick Cheney as the focus. But keep swinging… statistically you’re bound to hit a home run at some point. Although you’re in good company… This just in, the Obama administration considers the polls of American’s viewpoints, indicated in the widely respected Gallup polling firm, to that of a 6-year-old with crayons.

I read that. The Bush Administration said the same thing. I believe that was in fact Karl Rove at the time.

Yes Im sure the Poll questions are do you think Palin would make a good president; but regardless, its still a popularity contest not an approval rating. Its one thing to say "I think she would do a good job" and another to say "She is awful for freezing up when we faced the biggest terrorist attack since 9/11". Its a difference between Hindsight and Feelings.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Sarah Palin’s approval rating is now only 1 point away from Barack Obama’s approval rating (46% vs 47%). So either she is doing something very right, or Obama is doing something terribly wrong.

Or maybe one of those people has a job where it's impossible to please everyone, and the other has, eh, no job, having absconded from any responsibilties or oversight? The voting public made their intentions between the two pretty clear a year ago though, didn't they?

alastair wrote: »
    Or maybe one of those people has a job where it's impossible to please everyone, and the other has, eh, no job, having absconded from any responsibilties or oversight? The voting public made their intentions between the two pretty clear a year ago though, didn't they?
    Point taken... But one year later I believe the American people are beginning to feel duped, and now experiencing a sence of "buyers remorse."

Point taken... But one year later I believe the American people are beginning to feel duped, and now experiencing a sence of “buyers remorse.”
    unavoidably. They build up the man in their eyes as the Dawn of a New Age, for lack of a better Euphemism. And now that reality is set in and they realized the rivers havent turned to wine and they are still eating meatloaf out of can theyre beginning to wonder "wtf?"

unavoidably. They build up the man in their eyes as the Dawn of a New Age, for lack of a better Euphemism. And now that reality is set in and they realized the rivers havent turned to wine and they are still eating meatloaf out of can theyre beginning to wonder "wtf?"

Yup, the sad result of Chicago politics on a national scale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Point taken... But one year later I believe the American people are beginning to feel duped, and now experiencing a sence of "buyers remorse."

Show me the US president that doesn't induce some degree of buyers remorse. The only one to buck the trend in recent years is Daddy Bush - a nice, if bland, man who had to screw up the economy before people took a real dislike to the man. GW surfed the post 9/11 wartime president boost for a time, but ended up making Nixon look liked.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_approval_rating

alastair wrote: »
    Show me the US president that doesn't induce some degree of buyers remorse. The only one to buck the trend in recent years is Daddy Bush - a nice, if bland, man who had to screw up the economy before people took a real dislike to the man. GW surfed the post 9/11 wartime president boost for a time, but ended up making Nixon look liked.

Again point taken, but Gallup says the president’s most recent 47 percent rating marks the lowest ever recorded for a president during his first December in office.

And from the article I linked, this is the type of thing that Obama supporters must fear, especially when it comes from a left leaning news organization.
    The very same polarization now holds true for Obama, the fresh fellow from the old Chicago Democratic machine who was supposed to bring hope and change to a nation tired of divisive politics and the harsh partisan tone of Washington.

The tide is going out.

Again point taken, but Gallup says the president’s most recent 47 percent rating marks the lowest ever recorded for a president during his first December in office.
    And we are also coming out of one of the worse Economically Performing years since.... ever?

And we are also coming out of one of the worse Economically Performing years since.... ever?

As someone else stated... If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. The crisis happened during the campaign. He claimed to be the right man to lead us out of the crisis. (Hmmmm... he also said that the stimulus would keep unemployment below 8% :rolleyes:). I guess that's why someone with executive experience should be President.

So I guess Palin would have done better, but no worse, as President?

As someone else stated... If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.
    I think you missed my point, which was I doubt anyone could come out of the last year with stellar job approval ratings.

“Stellar job approval ratings”… NO! But lets face it, America made a decision in November 2008 based on Obama’s last month of the campaign promises to rule middle of the road. Unfortunately after he was sworn in, he decided those promises (which won him the election) meant squat and took an immediate turn to the left with the help of the Democratic controlled Congress. After seeing our country move to the Left and facing economic ruin becasue of it, a lot of people woke up and realized we are a center right country… evidenced by Obama’s fast falling opinion polls. And he will continue to see declining poling numbers if his answer to everything is… My Big Fat Government Takeover.

I think his decision to send more troops into Afghanistan is the first bi-partisan effort in his presidency. A day late and a dollar short IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

America made a decision based on Obamas last month of the campaign promises to rule middle of the road. Unfortunately after he was sworn in, he decided those promises (which won him the election) meant squat and took an immediate turn to the left with the help of the Democratic controlled Congress.

Admittedly from a liberal point of view, I dont believe for a second Obama has governed from the left. On all the major issues like healthcare, gays in the milatary, the stimulus and afghanistan he has gone against his own instincts and compromised. If anything, it couldnt hurt for to MOVE to the left.

p.s why do i think a certain joe is gonna go nuts now?:D

Kev… I’ve been nuts a long time now, as I’m confident many here will attest.

So are you looking at the term “LEFT” from American goggles or European goggles?

Purely socially, I’d have to agree with you. But fiscally with social overtones like Health Care, I’d have to disagree. America is use to playing between the 40 yard lines (American Football term), and he is taking us to the 30 yard line of the Left. As for the stimulus, it was simply a political payback to his base and his supporters. As for the wars, he is being a good Commander-In-Chief, which I agree he is going against his instincts (sure looked to me that he seemed not to believe his words in this Afghanistan speech). And it has already hurt all of our citizens with his MOVE to the Left IMO.

But back to topic… with at least $5 million for her book in these hard economic times, Palin’s probably the smartest woman in America right now. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

with at least $5 million for her book in these hard economic times, Palin’s probably the smartest woman in America right now. ;)

NEVER SAY THAT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

• Advertisement

kev9100 wrote: »
    NEVER SAY THAT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

LOL... Okay! Next time I'll eliminate the word "probably." ;)

Advertisement