Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film: Breaking Away (1979), Anseo, Sunday Dec 13th, 7:30pm

Options
  • 07-12-2009 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭

I'm helping to organise this as a fundraiser for Rothar. Info and some screenshots below. The film really is a classic, with road biking and track racing all in there for you lot to enjoy, as well as a plot and characters! I only saw it for the first time about a year ago, I'm really looking forward to watching it again. Suggested donation is a fiver, but I'm sure they wont refuse if you throw some more cash their way, it'll help them out with their new premises. Its on in the upstairs room in Anseo.

--

Rothar are hosting a film night in Anseo, 18 Camden Street Lower, on Sunday December 13th, at 7.30pm.
    This is to celebrate moving into our new workshop at 171 Phibsborough Road! Our space is much bigger than our previous one, and we have loads of plans and ideas for the future.
    We hope you can come and join us in Anseo on December 13th.

We will be showing the all-time classic cycling film "Breaking Away" (1979). This is the story of Dave, a small-town cycling enthusiast who has just finished high school. His obsession with the Italian cycling team leads him to listening to opera, eating pasta, and speaking in an Italian accent, much to the confusion and irritation of his car salesman Dad. Dave and his friends, sons of local stonecutters, come into conflict with some of the fraternity snobs in the local university, ultimately culminating in a showdown at the gruelling 50-mile "Little 500" track race. An Oscar and Golden Globe winner, the film is a funny and genuine depiction of growing up and making choices in life.

The film will be screened upstairs in Anseo. Suggested donation is €5 - all money received at the door will go towards the new workshop at 171 Phibsborough Road.
    We hope you can join us!

--

file.php?id=260

file.php?id=261

file.php?id=262

file.php?id=263

file.php?id=264
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

Or for about 30 cents more, buy it on Play.

Five Euro for a viewing of a DVD in a non-cinematic environment is frankly immoral. May I ask if you have the rights to publicly show this film?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

I'd be happy to help this worthy cause, are donations accepted if I can't attend on the night?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Hell, I could even bring my wife along. She could look at a young Dennis Quaid and I could look at the bikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Straatvark

looking forward

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

This is on Sunday evening, hope some of you can make it along. All donations at the door go to Rothar, you can find out more information on them at http://www.rothar.ie or else their facebook page. In their own words, "Rothar reuses and recycles scrap bicycles, reducing waste, providing a sustainable mode of transport and community-based education to promote social inclusion. Our organisation advocates for self-empowerment of disadvantaged communities by promoting vocational training and eco-friendly mobility." There are photos of their new workshop here.

Here's a few more screenshots from the film to tempt you along.

98636.jpg

98637.jpg

98638.jpg

98639.jpg

98640.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

flickerx wrote: »
    This is on Sunday evening, hope some of you can make it along. All donations at the door go to Rothar, you can find out more information on them at http://www.rothar.ie or else their facebook page. In their own words, "Rothar reuses and recycles scrap bicycles, reducing waste, providing a sustainable mode of transport and community-based education to promote social inclusion. Our organisation advocates for self-empowerment of disadvantaged communities by promoting vocational training and eco-friendly mobility." There are photos of their new workshop here.
    I don't know, sounds a bit communist to me.

Them pesky reds, eh?

I think the above paragraph translates from ngo speak into: we recycle cheap bikes for anyone that wants them; we get local kids from the area to come in and learn how to fix the stuff up; and bikes are good for the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

flickerx wrote: »
    Them pesky reds, eh?

I think the above paragraph translates from ngo speak into: we recycle cheap bikes for anyone that wants them; we get local kids from the area to come in and learn how to fix the stuff up; and bikes are good for the city.
    Nicely put!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I think I'll wander along to this. Heard good reports about the film even though from the trailer it looks terrible!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

oh it's a classic - one of the first films we got on our new vhs video recorder circa 1980-81

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

It's a legendary film, although as an 8 year old it put me off Italians for several years.

You will see why.

Got over that thankfully and am now learning Italian: Che cazzo fai, figlio di putana. A polite utterance if someone touches bars with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

The bike used by Denis Christopher in the film is a Masi Gran Criterium.

A Masi bike was used by Jacques Anquetil for his hour record in 1959. Merckx used Masi bicycles from 1969 to 1972. The Masi workshop was under the curve of the Vigorelli Velodrome in Milan.

I'm cheating a bit here. I'm not a bike historian. I was reading "Campagnolo: 75 Years of Cycling Passion" this afternoon and "Breaking Away" and the Masi connection gets a mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭ColSheehan

Just watched this last night after I saw the topic. All I'll say is.. I was glued to the screen the whole time :D

That must have made it difficult to watch the film properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

clashes with the Sampdoria v Roma match on Sunday unfortunately

Advertisement