Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floodlighing

Options
  • 07-12-2009 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

hi,
    looking for some advice. need to light an area of a pitch for evening training etc. think of mounting 2/3 400w metal halides on a pole in one corner of the area. would a 6m pole would be enough. anybody any idea how deep i would need to bury this and how i could securely mount it (may need movin/removing in the future) have seen it done on roads where a pipe is vertically buried in the ground filled around then the pole placed inside this and surrounded by dry mix afaik.

any advice/ suggetstions welcome

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

Have you looked at Induction lighting ??

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

bertie1 wrote: »
    Have you looked at Induction lighting ??
    probably a bit expensive this job needs to be cheap and cheerful could be gone in a year

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Codofwar

Just an idea but for setting the pipe use galvanised pipeing so it will last, bury it deep enough and set concrete around it, give it at least 18" if not more, once the concrete is set, brace the pipe from the four sides (still in the hole) By welding a gusset from the pipe and then bolting onto the concrete. It would be very secure then any you wouldn't have to worry about it falling over.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

If the lights are in one location you will have an issue with shadows. Also the lower the mounting height the longer the shadows and dazzeling people will become more of an issue.

Just a suggestion, but here is what I would do:

1 find out what the reccomended average lux level is for this application (internet)

2 Download free online software that will let you try different types and numbers of lights at different mounting heights. This programme will tell you if you have achieved your average lux level and you can show the client what the finished product would look like in 3D.

I used this software myself ages ago, but I can't recall what it was called, sorry! Perhaps someone else can?

Failing that I can PM you details of someone that will do the design for you (for free) he will also select and supply the fittings too. But you must agree to buy from him as part of the deal! I have found him to be very good on price.

Advertisement