Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BANKING

Options
  • 07-12-2009 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

Hi all.

Im planning to head over to New Zealand in February on a WHV and am wondering about setting up a bank account before i go. i see that the account will not be activate until i enter a bank over there and show passport and proof of address, the thing is i was not planning on having a permanent address straight away. i am just wondering how others have gone about this and their experiences.

I have found online forms for Westpac and ANZ banks. experiences of each?

thanks in advance also all other advice welcome will be heading to Christ church initially

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's pretty easy to set up an account online, then activate it with a passport when you get there.
    The address you use can be a hostel or hotel etc, just to get cqards, then change when you move

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

we were livin in a hostel when we got over first, and then we got camper vans. we had no problems getting cards from ANZ. This was in oz tho. should be the same in NZ. As long as you collect yor card as soon as possible after you land, coz i think after a few weeks you'll need more ID to meet the 100 points or whatever it is. Passport meets the 100 points as long as you're only recently in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

ANZ will rape you for maintenance fees so shop around if possible. One of the worst banks for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭m*pp*t

I opened one with ANZ this morning in Christchurch and got the card straight away. They took the hostel address, but tell you to update it whenever you like if you get a permanent one. (Dunno bout the fees though, it's $5 per month with the standard account, maybe you'd do better elsewhere?) It does seem though that the banks have no problem setting you up to go straight away so I wouldn't worry about doing it before you get here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

If you open up an anz account in oz is it grand to use it in nz?

• Advertisement

Yes it's the same. There are also ANZ branches in Vanuatu and some of the other Pacific islands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Yes it's the same. There are also ANZ branches in Vanuatu and some of the other Pacific islands.

So there are no additional charges its just like using an anz in oz?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

Also saw a couple of ANZ banks dotted around Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RedNiamhy

I would definatley check this out as my friend recently moved from Australia to NZ and was banking with ANZ in Australia and the bank told her she would have to open a new account in NZ, which she did.

I don't see how you could have the one account anyway when they have 2 different currencies.

RedNiamhy wrote: »
    I would definatley check this out as my friend recently moved from Australia to NZ and was banking with ANZ in Australia and the bank told her she would have to open a new account in NZ, which she did.

I don't see how you could have the one account anyway when they have 2 different currencies.

You can keep the same account as they are the one bank but you are subject to foreign transaction fees as the account is technically an Australian one, but you can still manage it at an ANZ bank over there. So I was told in Vanuatu anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement