Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More PS-BS on Prime Time Tonight...

Options
  • 07-12-2009 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭

Just looking at Prime Time Investigates here...

A PS worker/apologist comes on and is giving several stupid excuses for why welfare fraud is so easy...

Go into any Superquinn supermarket in the country and you see staff clocking on and off by putting their hand into a scanner that clocks you in and out of work, no fraud possible, simple solution to a simple problem, your fingerprint is used as the basis for the fraud prevention system!

Now the only reason I can see, why a simple enough technological solution to a simple enough problem, cannot be decided upon and deployed without delay, is because staff are refusing to work with the technology, as is typically the case in the public sector where you have to agree every change with a unon before you can put something in place at work.

The problem again here is obvious, in 2009, we see ANTIQUATED systems of work in place with the absolute MINIMAL use of technology.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

em, is this programme not about people defrauding the social welfare system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

deemark wrote: »

Yeah it is and they have people here coming on making one apology after the next as to why it is so easy to defaud the system, one being, "we make over a million payments a week"...

All the more reason to cut down on fraud!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Darragh29 wrote: »

A PS worker/apologist comes on and is giving several stupid excuses for why welfare fraud is so easy...

Go into any Superquinn supermarket in the country and you see staff clocking on and off by putting their hand into a scanner that clocks you in and out of work, no fraud possible, simple solution to a simple problem, your fingerprint is used as the basis for the fraud prevention system!

Now the only reason I can see, why a simple enough technological solution to a simple enough problem, cannot be decided upon and deployed without delay, is because staff are refusing to work with the technology, as is typically the case in the public sector where you have to agree every change with a unon before you can put something in place at work.

The problem again here is obvious, in 2009, we see ANTIQUATED systems of work in place with the absolute MINIMAL use of technology.

Ah yes all those public sector employees refusing to use technology that's not there how dare they refuse to use the imaginary technology that doesn't exist.
    Its not a simple tech solutions its a huge massive one that would take years to implement on a technical level before any emplyees of the state even got to consider training/using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Rob67

Here we go again... a perfectly valid opportunity to point out where the Public Service can make important changes and improve efficiencies and instead we get histrionics.
    deemark wrote: »

Yes, unfortunately, some people can't see the wood for the trees...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Darragh29, do you work for the Indo, by any chance? Your attitude to the PS is very similar:eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

Ah yes all those public sector employees refusing to use technology that's not there how dare they refuse to use the imaginary technology that doesn't exist.
    Its not a simple tech solutions its a huge massive one that would take years to implement on a technical level before any emplyees of the state even got to consider training/using it.

Doesn't exist?!?!?!?!? I'll personally go down to Superquinn tomorrow and take a picture of it in operation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just in the meantime, you can check out the suppliers website here:

http://www.asi.ie/case_studies_sector.php?sector=Retail

Check out the case studies page where you can see how Lifestyle sports have deployed the technology, along with other Irish customers...

Yet again the attitude and mindset is the same, "no we can't", "the technology doesn't exist", "why don't you just p*ss off and hassle someone else"...

Darragh29, do you work for the Indo, by any chance? Your attitude to the PS is very similar:eek::eek::eek:

No I don't. A 5 year old could work out how to fix this problem of people being able to fill out a form and get any number of PPS numbers. If you look at this set up and don't see a problem, (and also an obvious solution), then I put it to you that there is something wrong with your analysis of the situation, and not with mine...

You honestly think that the system that Superquinn use can be used in the Governmental realm? You have no idea what your talking about mate, none whatsoever!!!
    Its a frigging retail system!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

OMG....One of the guys defrauded SW by 39k and he was given 2k fine+5 months suspended sentence...WTF:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Yeah it is and they have people here coming on making one apology after the next as to why it is so easy to defaud the system, one being, "we make over a million payments a week"...

All the more reason to cut down on fraud!!!

My point was that the programme is about people defrauding the system and you've managed to make it about the Public Service in this thread:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

While there is scope for improvement in social welfare, people working down can only implement the rules passed by the legislators. No point blaming the foot soldiers for the decision of generals.

You honestly think that the system that Superquinn use can be used in the Governmental realm? You have no idea what your talking about mate, none whatsoever!!!

The backbone of the system is a person recognition system based on the submission of a fingerprint. The point is that the technology exists to resolve this issue very easily.

Best thing you could do is check out the link I put up, familiarise yourself with the technology and come back when you are familar with it like I am...

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Eye scanners are frequently used on labour intensive construction sites, they are directly linked to the payrole software.

Please tell me why this system or one simillar could not be adapted going forward.

It does exist and it is in use, and it is off the shelf technology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

We have the winner
    A woman owns SW 130K
    How did she manage to do that?

The backbone of the system is a person recognition system based on the submission of a fingerprint. The point is that the technology exists to resolve this issue very easily.

Best thing you could do is check out the link I put up, familiarise yourself with the technology and come back when you are familar with it like I am...

Have you hands on experience with Access Control Systems?

Have you a working knowledge of the Data Protection Act?

Did you know it would take a referendum to introduce such an identity managment system in Ireland?

If your answer to the above is no then you have less experience than me in this area and should believe me when I tell you, your way way off the mark and have no practical basis to make the suggestions that you are. I am telling you from a professional point of view that the system you are proposing would have a minimum lead time of 24 months, would require legislation to be passed, would need to be put to tender, then a system be developed and trialed. It would have to be passed through the European court of Human rights as did the system in the UK. I can keep going as to why your wrong if you wish?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭BobbyD10

As each month/week passes by we again see where more money from the boom has gone too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

This program highlights the wonderful service that we get from our Public Service. Widespread Fraud and then no real pursuit of the full amount paid out to the perpetrators of these crimes.

Why should I bother paying taxes anymore to allow defrauding spongers to steal and to allow inept employees to stay in jobs they obviously cannot do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

Is there anything you don't turn into an opportunity to bash the public sector ?

ardmacha wrote: »
    While there is scope for improvement in social welfare, people working down can only implement the rules passed by the legislators. No point blaming the foot soldiers for the decision of generals.

Well the foot soldiers seem to have a veto on every aspect of public policy at the moment. We have a track record in this country of public sector workers obstructing change at every opportunity...

Why should a union even be consulted on something as important as this???

Doesn't exist?!?!?!?!? I'll personally go down to Superquinn tomorrow and take a picture of it in operation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just in the meantime, you can check out the suppliers website here:

http://www.asi.ie/case_studies_sector.php?sector=Retail

Check out the case studies page where you can see how Lifestyle sports have deployed the technology, along with other Irish customers...

Yet again the attitude and mindset is the same, "no we can't", "the technology doesn't exist", "why don't you just p*ss off and hassle someone else"...

Yay! Valid argument! Good system, but to enact it would require some persuasion, technology is great to solve most issues but it can lead to some (almost) career ending decisions (anyone remember PPARS? E-voting machines?). I agree, if it were used it would help resolve fraud issues to a large extent, but it would need to be overseen by qualified persons and not by politicians who want a vanity project to append their name to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

11 billion to the banks that screwed up.

54 billion to NAMA

................ and we go nuts over 1.3 billion in cuts (that I freely admit and accept are needed) to the PS. (Yes I am in the PS and I have horns protruding from my temples. I also sleep all day when I should be working and then go home to roll around in my piles of money. Then I find some puppies to kick :rolleyes:)

You sir have been played whether you think it or not.

They want us arguing over this 1.3 billion and keep our attention off the 65 billion to the banks and NAMA and they have succeeded.

Played like fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well the foot soldiers seem to have a veto on every aspect of public policy at the moment. We have a track record in this country of public sector workers obstructing change at every opportunity...

Because we have a leadership vacuum at the moment. The problem is a vacuum tends to get filled eventually.....

Evidence to this point of view? And where did the unions come into this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

because if large changes are implemented, staff have to be retrained, re rostered, re deployed?

anyway, if the STATE had put in place the proper controls - ie the Fianna Fail appointed then a lot of this fraud could have been avoided

how much money has been stolen from the country over the past 8-9 years??? by both Irish and non Irish fraudsters

Have you hands on experience with Access Control Systems?

Have you a working knowledge of the Data Protection Act?

Did you know it would take a referendum to introduce such an identity managment system in Ireland?

If your answer to the above is no then you have less experience than me in this area and should believe me when I tell you, your way way off the mark and have no practical basis to make the suggestions that you are. I am telling you from a professional point of view that the system you are proposing would have a minimum lead time of 24 months, would require legislation to be passed, would need to be put to tender, then a system be developed and trialed. It would have to be passed through the European court of Human rights as did the system in the UK. I can keep going as to why your wrong if you wish?

So how come I can see it in operation in Superquinn so if we need a referendum before we can use it???

How come we have biometric passports and state ID cards and such items with images of our faces on them???

If we need a referendum to introduce this beyond reproach, then so be it, let us have one, better than 2/10 welfare payments being made to people who have made a fraudulent application.

I also have a working knowledge of the Data Protection Act and I fail to see the relevance to the current subject matter. If I want a driving licence, I have to submit a photo of my head and face. If I want to get a state passport, I have to submit a photo of my head and face.

What is the problem with me having to provide an image of my fingerprint if I want to make an application, in the interests of the common good???

Look Im not going into this any further suffice it to say that introducing a national identity managment system for social welfare is NOT the same as doing it in superquinn. Read up on it.
    Oh and show me the state ID card? Never seen one of those!

Look Im not going into this any further suffice it to say that introducing a national identity managment system for social welfare is NOT the same as doing it in superquinn. Read up on it.
    Oh and show me the state ID card? Never seen one of those!

Sorry meant the Garda Age/ID card... Have read up on it and there is no reason on this earthy world as to why this cannot be implemented in this country. Of course the scale of deploying such a solution is greater than deploying it in Superquinn, big deal, bigger job, properly managed there is no issue whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ceret

So how come I can see it in operation in Superquinn so if we need a referendum before we can use it???

Because Superquinn are able to treat their employees badly? Anyone who complains about it would get the sack. Superquinn and the employees know that there are lots of people looking for work, last thing anyone wants to do is get sacked.

It's a one way relationship that's open to abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Truly shocking programme. OK, so we are all responsible for the high levels of social welfare levels that have attracted these thieves, but the utter incompetence of the Dept of Social Welfare staff (top to bottom) in identifying the fraud is disgraceful.

As a result of that programme, nobody will get fired, nobody will get demoted, nobody will be held accounable for failure to detect the bleedin' obvious. That is where it would differ in the private sector.

The savings to be made by improving detection would cover the public sector pay cuts coming on Wednesday. What is the mantra the public service chant? 'we didn't cause the recession, so why should we pay?'. Look to your colleagues where your salary cut is heading

If you can't do the job you are paid to do, you shouldn't be doing it. Don't give me the bursting at the seams reply, because if you embraced change and modernisation you wouldn't be.

• Advertisement

Sorry meant the Garda Age/ID card... Have read up on it and there is no reason on this earthy world as to why this cannot be implemented in this country. Of course the scale of deploying such a solution is greater than deploying it in Superquinn, big deal, bigger job, properly managed there is no issue whatsoever.

Ok so your 5 minutes online is better than my 6 years experience. Grand I bow to your immense and vague knowledge that you have gathered in 5 minutes I must be wrong if you say so.

Advertisement