Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More PS-BS on Prime Time Tonight...

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Whilst the commissioning and installation of a super-biometric system would be great,the reality points to a system of administration which is culturally reluctant to admit to deficencies.

One only had to see how non-commital the Departments Secretary-General was whenever the RTE journo got too specific.

The current slipshod system of checks and balances reflects the Departmental ethos over the past 20 years as it became the preferred method of income provision for a substantial number of people.

To address This type of stuff in the Irish context requires the type of policing that the past two decades of hyper political correctness has left us incapable of.

The direct full-on targeting of the high-fraud groupings and a major increase of Doorstepping and invasive interviews will most certainly bring results.

Tip-Toeing around the co-habitation issue in relation to Lone-Parent Allowances,as the Department Spokesman did,simply illustrates that it prefers to just shell out the €`s as it keeps the population docile.

Recent pronouncements from Trade Union leaders on possible Civil Disorder have been roundly derided as the deluded mutterings of bearded lefties.

However it`s highly unlikely that many workers,private or public sector would be of a mind to riot over the cuts,no matter how deep.

What the outcome of a 20% cut in overall welfare payment levels would be, is a very valid question,the answer to which might just explain the 4% reduction being touted.

Judging from the Prime Time figures,we might get a better result if we sub-contracted the policing of our system to the Northern Authorities..... :o

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭doc_17

That program was about welfare fraud. Pobably none of it by members of the public sector. Yet this thread started by bashing the public sector?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Darragh29 wrote: »
    If I have my own business and I allow 10% of people to walk out the door of my shop without paying for their goods, well unless I cop on and take action, I'll be out of business. Of course I can go to the Gardai and make a complaint, but in the first instance, if I allow a situation like this to arise, well I won't be in business for long because when I have to pay my creditors at the end of the month, there won't be enough money in the bank to pay them because it didn't end up in the tills because I allowed people to walk out the door with the cash that should have been paid to me...

If I go to the Gardai and make a complaint at the end of the month that my business has folded because I've no cash left, the first thing the Garda will say to me is, "what the f*ck are you at ALLOWING 10% of your customers to take your stock without paying you?!?!?!?!?!"...

The bottom line is that I have to take ownership of the issue or else I don't get to stay open. Then we look at this situation and we see a high ranking civil servant on the TV who hasn't even a clue what the extent of the fraud is, let alone have a plan or a proposal in her head to eliminate it?!?!?!?!?!?

It is this same blind indifference that is driving people up the walls when it comes to what is going on within the public sector in Ireland...

the difference being , if the store owners allows shoplifters to steal his mars bars and cider , hes out of pocket , the staff at social wellfare are not handling thier own money , this is the crux of the matter , thier is less concern for abuses in the system when your handling other peoples money

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

doc_17 wrote: »
    That program was about welfare fraud. Pobably none of it by members of the public sector. Yet this thread started by bashing the public sector?
    did you not know that a lot of people on here are 'angry' with PS workers, just in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

imme wrote: »
    did you not know that a lot of people on here are 'angry' with PS workers, just in general.

Well its quite easy to argue the wasted money is due to poor administration and the public sector administrate social welfare.

Personally I don't give a damn one way or the other as the administration isn't the problem, its the public not reporting people they know that are scamming it that are the problem.

They should just give a reward for reporting genuine fraud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

imme wrote: »

Exactly, I know people in the Public Service. I don't really want to cut their wages but the overall pay bill needs addressed.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement