Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garda work to rule

Options
  • 07-12-2009 11:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭

i read in tonight paper that if the budget is pushed through this week, which seems likely ,that the gardai will be working to rule in protest to the pay cut they will be getting.

anyone else think that the licencing of firearms is really going to drag on forever now ? i have received only one out of five and heard nothing of the outstanding four .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

rowa wrote: »
    i read in tonight paper that if the budget is pushed through this week, which seems likely ,that the gardai will be working to rule in protest to the pay cut they will be getting.

anyone else think that the licencing of firearms is really going to drag on forever now ? i have received only one out of five and heard nothing of the outstanding four .

there is a vaccine for the blue flue ,its called over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

reading between the lines , i think some dragging of the heels may take place , on overtime or not .

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭DERICKOO

confused???
    do i understand this correctly that the minister said that if they go on strike because they signed the no strike clause that they could be sued for infraction of and concerning puplic libility. :confused:

yes, the gardai are not allowed to go on strike.

DERICKOO wrote: »
    confused???
    do i understand this correctly that the minister said that if they go on strike because they signed the no strike clause that they could be sued for infraction of and concerning puplic libility. :confused:

i think ahern is trying to display his tough guy image in the media , hopefully he digs a nice big hole for himself and then jumps in .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

wonder whats the chances of them issuing licences in protest against ahern .....ah well one can dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭thedragon

homerhop wrote: »
    wonder whats the chances of them issuing licences in protest against ahern .....ah well one can dream.
    Id say Osama Bin Laden has a better chance of getting a Nobel peace prize.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Amazing the way they follow his every wish with regard to firearms yet when it comes to their pay there's a problem :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

i think ahern is trying to display his tough guy image in the media , hopefully he digs a nice big hole for himself and then jumps in .

He can dig one for his government as well 6ft long and 6ft deep
    ahh on second thoughts some members may need an additional bit of space, better make it 6ft wide for some.

all you have to do is look what went into the guards over the boom time , most of them would have not got a job any where else.

there is more gardai under investigation at the min that there ever will be private firearm owners .

think mr murphy has a bit of house keeping to do.

the cops around hear are on a go slow from the first pay cut ,if its possible to do less work that is.

respect that has to be earned

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Mr Mole

Lads, please dont take this out on the average 5'9". They had nothing to do with this mess.:( Is this a thread for Shooting or Emergency Services?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭thedragon

Mr Mole wrote: »
    Lads, please dont take this out on the average 5'9". They had nothing to do with this mess.:( Is this a thread for Shooting or Emergency Services?
    Thats a fair point but the fuzz play a very big part in our sport so its in everyones interest when their arses are being kicked.:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Mr Mole wrote: »
    Lads, please dont take this out on the average 5'9". They had nothing to do with this mess. Is this a thread for Shooting or Emergency Services?
    ^
    |
    |
    What he said.

The shooting community's 'issue' is with the Government/Minister, the people in Justice who pull the Minister's strings/bow to his wishes (delete as applicable), and the Commissioner and others in the upper echelons of the Gardai who formulate policy.
    With the unfortunate exception of a few prominent examples, the vast majority of 'ordinary' Gardai have no particular issue with the shooting sports and our possession of firearms, and indeed many are supportive and actively helpful.

There are threads in Emergency Services and Politics (and After Hours) for anyone wishing to discuss this subject in a more broad context; this is the Shooting forum, so let's please keep the discussion to that subject.

This is NOT the place for broad-brushstroke generalised side-swipes at the Gardai.
    If someone has a particular issue regarding their interaction with the Gardai on a firearms issue, certainly bring it up here, but take the 'angry mob' stuff elsewhere.

i didn't intend my post to be a government bashing exercise rovi , just a question to see if people think the proposed work to rule /go slow by the gardai is going to hamper the issuing of licences even more than it already , but in all fairness you can't blame people for wanting to take a pop at this lot , especially ahern .

i didn't intend my post to be a government bashing exercise rovi , just a question to see if people think the proposed work to rule /go slow by the gardai is going to hamper the issuing of licences even more than it already , but in all fairness you can't blame people for wanting to take a pop at this lot , especially ahern .
    My post above was directed at everyone, and more particularly at some of the responses to your original post.

Everyone: Bash the government away, just please do so within a 'shooting' context.
    The subject of the GRA's proposed ballot on industrial action in not off limits here, but this is the Shooting forum, so please keep discussion to possible impact or fallout it may have on the shooting sports.
    There are plenty of other places in Boards.ie to discuss the broader issues involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Licensing matters are dealt with by Garda Superintendents and Garda Chief Superintendents - with advice from the FPU and DOJ - they will not be taking part in any flu, blue or otherwise so it should have no bearing on the issuing of licenses.

What is and will have an effect on the issuing of licenses is the Superintendent or Chief Superintendent retiring out from under you while your application is in process.

This has happened in a few Districts e.g. Mayo - where licenses were refused and the Chief Super then retired or Sligo where there is no Chief Super and therefore licenses cannot be processed.

The Moratorium on Garda Promotion and the mass retirement of Senior Gardai is creating a vacuum in which our licenses applications will simply fester.

For those unlucky enough to have their applications refused and then have to challenge the decision of a retired Chief Super it only complicates the issue.

B'Man

Bananaman wrote: »
    Licensing matters are dealt with by Garda Superintendents and Garda Chief Superintendents - with advice from the FPU and DOJ - they will not be taking part in any flu, blue or otherwise so it should have no bearing on the issuing of licenses.

What is and will have an effect on the issuing of licenses is the Superintendent or Chief Superintendent retiring out from under you while your application is in process.

This has happened in a few Districts e.g. Mayo - where licenses were refused and the Chief Super then retired or Sligo where their is no Chief Super and therefore licenses cannot be processed.

The Moratorium on Garda Promotion and the mass retirement of Senior Gardai is creating a vacuum in which our licenses applications will simply fester.

For those unlucky enough to have their applications refused and then have to challenge the decision of a retired Chief Super it only complicates the issue.

B'Man

they pass through a lot of hands before they reach the super/chief super.

jwshooter wrote: »
    they pass through a lot of hands before they reach the super/chief super.

and they take 30 minutes at least to process on the computer i have been told , dunno if this is true or not , thats 7 working hours a day, 1 hour going on lunch so if its true thats only 14 licence applications a day, not many .

and they take 30 minutes at least to process on the computer i have been told , dunno if this is true or not , thats 7 working hours a day, 1 hour going on lunch so if its true thats only 14 licence applications a day, not many .

a cop doing 7 hours a day , ya right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Would you do their job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Wouldn't want the job they do in my neck of the woods for seven minutes jw. The folks who're causing us hassle are a small group who are not the same ones you see out walking through areas most of us wouldn't drive through round here. I've not much time for the Minister or the Commissioner; but the vast majority of the rank and file I'd have a lot more time for. They're in the unenviable position of being crapped on from on high themselves and taking all the flak from those of us who're also being crapped on from on high.

Ah come on folks, which part of
    Rovi wrote: »
    This is NOT the place for broad-brushstroke generalised side-swipes at the Gardai.
    If someone has a particular issue regarding their interaction with the Gardai on a firearms issue, certainly bring it up here, but take the 'angry mob' stuff elsewhere.
    do you not understand? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Bananaman wrote: »

True,they are all feeling very "old"and looking for career changes and are retiring en masse instead.Loyality to the State??:rolleyes::rolleyes:

This has happened in a few Districts e.g. Mayo - where licenses were refused and the Chief Super then retired or Sligo where there is no Chief Super and therefore licenses cannot be processed.

Add Limerick Nth [Henry St] to that list.:(
    The Moratorium on Garda Promotion and the mass retirement of Senior Gardai is creating a vacuum in which our licenses applications will simply fester

Apart from in reality what should be a trivial issue this ,firearms question,it is causing a huge loss of experianced police officers with quite literally generations of crime fighting experiance.Worse,it is middle level personel who are ,or were ,in charge of serious crime investigations thus leaving it to junior ranks to deal with crime scenes etc.Giving the criminals a better chance of avoiding detection and capture.
    Any cheery news on Budget day?????:(:(:(:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement